Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Ah, and finally after 6-- or is it 7?-- years now, the Jumper Cab with Legs!

cricket-cab.jpg
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    These are realy great Blue, The Taxi blows me away! I would love to see more marker work...
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    I still have ALL those markers-- except for Red, that ran out. Shows you how little I use 'em.

I'm already thinking of an update to the cricket cab to make it a little more bug-like.
    Okay, here's my quick dirty sketch of a more streamlined Enterprise.

enterprise-simplified.jpg
    Okay, update on the streamlined Connie. I think the engineering section is a bit too big and I'm not married to the nacelle design (though I like that lump, it's based on an old pen I had). As you can see, I'm big on clean curving lines.

1701-streamlined-2.jpg
    And ONE more update to the Streamlined E... I think I got the right size for the engineering section, but maybe the teardrop isn't quite right. That double halo around the saucer is also something that was in my head for a while, and I reluctantly added the torpedo launcher to the neck because it needs to be somewhere-- so I tried to make it as inconspicuous as possible. I imagine it makes a neat sound effect too (this whole ship could only make "newish" sounds)

fixed-engineering.jpg
    Well, unless you want to see some creature doodles, here's the most SF thing I've done recently...

space-keys.jpg
    already envisioning merch huh.... :lol: Love the keys.. Oh, and creature doodles are always welcome!
    Well, they were merch inspired-- the rendering of the E-E on here made me think of japanese packaging which made me think of the Ranger keys from Gokaiger (I love my Ranger keys) so I thought "of course, the ships would have keys that look like the ship." Of course, they don't fold like the Ranger keys, so I had to make a little change. Cygnus' should be a little more high tech since it's cutting edge. I CAN picture the Palo having a key that looks like their robot (or my redesign of their robot), so THAT could fold. And if you want to be nitpicky, the Scavenger should start with pliers or a coat hangar... or maybe it's a smart idea to just not turn that bucket off.
    Well, I haven't really gotten a whole suit scratched down for my sentai-inspired Sugarman (or whatever the heck I wind up calling him), so in the meantime, behold the aquatics!

aquatics_by_neumatic-d5tff6l.jpg
    Okay, Megaforce premiered today and while it was unsurprisingly lousy, they introduced THIS guy:

tensou.jpg

Old-school Johnny Five type robot, but the minute I saw his WHOLE body, I thought he looked just like a guitar, so that inspired this picture:

tenso-guitar.jpg

Presumably he can gesture with his whammy bar. There's got to be more that can be done with this design, I'm sure.
    Okay, new concepts! Well, one is an adaptation of an existing ship, the Normandy SR3. Even though I know the ending of ME3 doesn't REALLY allow for it, like how there can be no Babylon 6 (which I also have an idea for), but here's a little concept doodle.

normandy-sr3-concept-one.jpg

And now something I've been thinking of for quite a while, a floating city, I've never really been convinced by any that I've seen, just a couple skyscrapers or something dug up from Earth in the sky, you'd need separate zones for different climates and needs and so on... this isn't the first sketch I've done but it's the first I've shared and I'm sure you'll all point out things I've missed.

avalon-city.jpg
    Okay, I haven't really ingested any new sci-fi in a while so there's nothing new coming to mind, and I'm not entirely sure if this was what was in my head when I was reading it, but here's my (current) take on the fleet sent to retrieve the Enterprise (aka MY redesign of the Enterprise) in Collision Course. The kicker though is they're meant to look cutting edge, not old.

tribody-starship.jpg
    collission-course-fleet-ships.jpg
    starfleet-tactical-response-vehicles.jpg
    Needed a break from my homework (in the middle of an intense six-week course) so I wound up reading ALL of Star Trek: New Frontier: Treason. Can't remember the last time I read a whole book in one day, and I got some pretty cool visuals in my head, though I can't get the Quarantine Area or the Lyla down quite right yet. I also have some interesting ideas for some uniforms as well.

excal-and-trident_edited-1.jpg
    The biggie: the Excalibur (which I tried to design to look like a sword) and the Trident, which I tried to make look like a Trident.
    brethren.jpg
    The Brethren. You can see a little Doctor Who/Iron Man inspiration in there, I'm sure.

excal-teleport.jpg
    Was totally surprised at the new teleport that entered my head, it's got a little Go-Buster henshin, a little inkjet printer, and a little JJ-Trek flair to it. Of course, I doubt the drawing remotely conveys what's in my head.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    You could be a drafter sir.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    the excalibur looks good and streamlined, liking the forwrad swept nacelle mounts.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Liking both of those ship designs, interesting contrast between the sleek lines of the Trident engineering hull and nacelles and the fat Ent-D style primary hull, I think that works quite well.
    Thanks, all! And it's quite nice to get some feedback. I'm quite happy with myself that I was able to get the Excalibur to follow the design of my Titan Arrowhead and Voyager redesign without being a copy of either. I had the idea of making it look like a sword after Babylon 5, which I believe did the same but covered it much better.
    I have this thing in my head now of some of those Trek ships as little brushed metal handheld models, a couple inches long, real simple and elegant, following the contours... since someone brought up 3D printing in another thread.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    gunna need to learn 3d modeling if u wanan do 3d printing
    colbmista wrote: »

No kiddin'.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    i recommend sketchup, it is easy to model with but hard to export from, see my tutorial.
    Started reading Ringworld and seeing new ships. And definitely a nice change of pace from the Star Trek ships, though I do enjoy those.

glass-bulb.jpg
    lying-bastard.jpg
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    ,i recommend sketchup, it is easy to model with but hard to export from, see my tutorial.

As a novice I would also recommend SketchUp...though I find curves to be a royal pain. :(
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    id get blender as it is in more in par with the higher end programs
    New art! New art! Lessee what we have here...

build-an-enterprise.jpg
    Inspired by the thread where we discussed the Enterprise being built on planet and finished in orbit. Just sort of a little joke, I didn't realize how much it would look like toy instructions.

finding-lyla.jpg
    Some rough oodles, I still don't know what the "Lyla" will look like (Capt Calhoun's son from Peter David's Star Trek books), I have this basic idea but I can't really physicalize it yet. There' a little Prometheus in there, a little Eureeka Maru, the Black Boa I think it was called from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within...

And here are two scribbles I did just for fun, to take a break from all the spaceships:
    iron-man-pacific.jpg
    iron-giant-pacific.jpg

The Iron Man seems like an obvious one since the movie just came out, but honestly, every time I see those robots I think "The Iron Giant." So I had to do that sketch. Thankfully there were some brill blueprint-like images of all the robots that I could work off of. I'm sure there's other robot heads I could throw on there as well...
    Oh, and since I showed Starrigger/Steven the first three pages of my old project Starseekers, here's one of the few good pieces of concept art I did for it... ten whole YEARS ago. Maybe I should get to redesigning the ship, I've been thinking about that for a while.

nav-nook.jpg
    New art! New art! Lessee what we have here...

finding-lyla.jpg
    Some rough oodles, I still don't know what the "Lyla" will look like (Capt Calhoun's son from Peter David's Star Trek books), I have this basic idea but I can't really physicalize it yet. There' a little Prometheus in there, a little Eureeka Maru, the Black Boa I think it was called from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within...

I have not read the books so I would like some back-ground on this one, it looks great.. Does the cargo part detach? is it suppose to be land able, or just 0 grav environments?

I would like to take a crack at this one.
    Feel free to take a crack, a whack, and a sledgehammer to the Lyla, that sketch is so far away from what's half-formed in my head but I can't get it down. I don't think that the cargo section detaches, I think it's more like something that was added on, like the guy needed extra space so he got a bigger box. It probably looks as bad as my sister's old car with the one door that didn't match.

I read the book in a day so I can't even remember Calhoun's son's name... I have some ideas for what the inside flight deck will look like, maybe that'll help find it's character.
    edited June 2022 #151
    First Blush...

78n2att40n3b.jpg
    swpjiviwexr8.jpg

Steve
    Post edited by Starrigger on