Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPreparing for Departure

evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
edited January 2013 in Finished Work #1
This is a little something IA’ve been working on for quite some time now. It was originally part of a project that it now appears wonA’t be happening, so here it is.

stargazerdocked01.jpg?w=500
98849.jpg
Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
Tagged:

• nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Well done, I like it.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Incredible image Chris, it's one of those cases where you have a lot of thinks in just one image but it all comes together and it looks amazing. :D
    I'm seeing some civilian ships in there, are those new? I don't remember seeing them anyway.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Thanks a lot, guys. :cool:
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I'm seeing some civilian ships in there, are those new? I don't remember seeing them anyway.

Not really new, just stuff I built mainly to be background ships. Nothing worthy of showing up close. ;)
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    It looks good, but, the light color on the hull of the ship itself looks odd compared to the drydock light panels.
    If they were more made to reflect light/cold blue... perhaps it might stop throwing me off a bit.
    :D
  • NayslayerNayslayer333 Posts: 57Member
    Looks pretty awesome. My only crit is that the image looks a little too flat to me. Take the shuttle in the foreground for example, are they suppose to be flying right beside each other, or are they some distance apart? Hard to tell.

Other than that I think its very good. :)
    Deks wrote: »
    It looks good, but, the light color on the hull of the ship itself looks odd compared to the drydock light panels.
    If they were more made to reflect light/cold blue... perhaps it might stop throwing me off a bit.
    :D

The lighting is very similar to how it was in TMP. I don't really know what those panels are supposed to be, but they didn't throw off much light in the movie.
    Nayslayer wrote: »
    Looks pretty awesome. My only crit is that the image looks a little too flat to me. Take the shuttle in the foreground for example, are they suppose to be flying right beside each other, or are they some distance apart? Hard to tell.

Other than that I think its very good. :)

Thanks. They're not that close together, kinda just flying to and fro.
  • the Animaniacthe Animaniac179 Posts: 138Member
    Thats Great EG, very well done!
    :thumb:
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Yes, I seem to recall the panels in the movies didn't throw much light onto the ships... however, I also don't recall them throwing a yellow-ish light.
    The ships located in the background drydocks do look pretty good though... but the foreground Constellation - it just seems a bit 'off' to me because the light panels are blue (and immediately much more visible compared to the foreground ones) and the ship ambient light color is yellow.
    But don't mind me too much - its just one way of looking at it.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Yes, I seem to recall the panels in the movies didn't throw much light onto the ships... however, I also don't recall them throwing a yellow-ish light.
    The ships located in the background drydocks do look pretty good though... but the foreground Constellation - it just seems a bit 'off' to me because the light panels are blue (and immediately much more visible compared to the foreground ones) and the ship ambient light color is yellow.

Well, especially not if it's overblown with orange like this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fAMfd_hOEYE/T07M0A9glNI/AAAAAAAACYM/bi0HHiaG-Gk/s1600/star-trek-original-motion-picture-collection-blu-ray-review-20090518021458642.jpg

:p
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

I certainly appreciate the feedback. I'll keep it in mind for future projects where I use the dock. However, I'm officially calling this one done because it was rendered in TrueSpace and is likely to be my last image rendered in that software. I'm going to be focusing more on Lightwave in the future. I should also have better lighting control in Lightwave and can probably add some low level glows that hit the ship just right, like they do in TMP. That stuff is hard to do in TrueSpace because of how the program was written. (the lighting controls are only so-so)

The main lighting hitting the ship actually comes from the numerous "soft white" lihgts around the dock, as it did in TMP. (confession: I probably made those too yellowish) If you go back and watch the part where they turn off the white lights on the sides, you'll notice that much of the light hitting the ship goes away. Of course, they also filmed that in a studio and I have no idea what the exact lighting conditions were. ;)
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Great image! The ships in the background really add to the scene.

The only two little things I would've changed are: The shuttles in the foreground could use a touch of motion blur, and the shuttle bay lighting looks like it is lit via self-illumination.

Overall, fantastic job! :thumb:

JMoney
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Dig that, bud! :)

deg
    Thanks guys. :D
    JMoney wrote: »
    Great image! The ships in the background really add to the scene.

The only two little things I would've changed are: The shuttles in the foreground could use a touch of motion blur, and the shuttle bay lighting looks like it is lit via self-illumination.

Overall, fantastic job! :thumb:

JMoney

I'm not a really big fan of motion blur. My theory is, we have high speed cameras now capable of taking clear pictures of moving objects, imagine what they'll have in 300+ years. ;) As for the shuttlebay, I don't know what you mean by "self illumination." Ambient glow, maybe? There's none of that in the materials. There are lights inside it, that's where the main lighting inside is coming from. Plus, some of the dock lights streaming in would be lighting it.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    I'm not a really big fan of motion blur. My theory is, we have high speed cameras now capable of taking clear pictures of moving objects, imagine what they'll have in 300+ years. ;) As for the shuttlebay, I don't know what you mean by "self illumination." Ambient glow, maybe? There's none of that in the materials. There are lights inside it, that's where the main lighting inside is coming from. Plus, some of the dock lights streaming in would be lighting it.

The motion blur thing is just personal preference. I know what you mean though as Hollywood is using 48p now, and I'm sure 60p and 120p won't be far behind. Motion blur is like film grain to me, all depends on what look you're going for.

The shuttlebay looks too perfect compared to the rest of the scene (at least to me). Your lighting looks superb in the scene and gives everything that physical model look (like a movie still), but the shuttlebay looks too "perfect" compared to the rest. Almost like too much ambient (or in 3dsmax self-illum materials not effected by light).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the render! It's awesome! Your lighting, models, scene setup, background, etc.. My comments were mearly meant to suggest my personal preference. :)

JMoney
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Thanks guys. :D

I don't like motion blur either. Great render.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    its a fantastic scene and a fantastic shot; but as mentioned before the image seems a bit flat, almost like a painting. I see very little depth to the image (dof) and the shuttlebay looks really sweet, but doesnt really seem to fit, im not sure why.
    Otherwise, great work! :)
    Thanks guys.
    JMoney wrote: »
    The motion blur thing is just personal preference. I know what you mean though as Hollywood is using 48p now, and I'm sure 60p and 120p won't be far behind. Motion blur is like film grain to me, all depends on what look you're going for.

The shuttlebay looks too perfect compared to the rest of the scene (at least to me). Your lighting looks superb in the scene and gives everything that physical model look (like a movie still), but the shuttlebay looks too "perfect" compared to the rest. Almost like too much ambient (or in 3dsmax self-illum materials not effected by light).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the render! It's awesome! Your lighting, models, scene setup, background, etc.. My comments were mearly meant to suggest my personal preference. :)

JMoney

Not a problem, I appreciate any and all feedback. It's thanks to feedback and advice from users here and on other forums that I know as much as I do. :D
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great job evil! Love the composition of the image and the lighting doesn't bother me too much. With the direction of the shadows, it looks like the light source is coming from the sun. If the light were a tad less yellow and a bit brighter with a higher contrast between the light and dark, it might help with the flatness. Now, take that with a grain of salt as I kind of suck at lighting! :-)

Other than that, I do love the image.

Al

[edit]

LOL!! I just realized your avatar and mine are the same character, just dressed differently!!

[/edit]
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Beautiful... this should be in a future calendar.
  • experimationexperimation331 Posts: 21Member
    Love this! So much going on in every part of the image, though done without making it look too busy. Great work!