Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek - USS Magellan

vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2012 in Work in Progress #1
This is a future vessel I'm working on. The cargo bay gives the scale and windows coming soon. The ship is bigger then the Defiant and more armed. On the bottom it looks like a mini-deflector but is a energy beam emitter and the warp drive is different. I can give technique specifications later.

As to the mesh, would like thoughts on what could be done. I would love to makes details on windows but I don't think its necessary and I'm not sure how to do it quickly. Also what they best way to add curves to some of the plating.
92156.png
92157.png
92158.png
92159.png
Post edited by vivienneanthony on
Tagged:

• vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
    Impulse drive added taking out texture of first images. Also added more detail to the back.
    92170.png92171.png92185.png
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Are you building her in studio max, sketchup, lightwave... ? Tell us the application and we can try to help you. ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    Are you building her in studio max, sketchup, lightwave... ? Tell us the application and we can try to help you. ;)

Right now. I'm using Blender 2.60a. This model has a edge split modifier so the edges show correctly because of the many angles. The areas which I would like to improve on the general mesh.

1. Creating the saucer array using the phaser array corner and cutout that is based on a path of the phaser location.

2. Add very small round edges to the ship sharp edges probably after the loop modifier applied. (Not significant important but would be nice)

3. Add a few windows with a rounded edge. (Least important for now)

4. Add a few more plate details. Some with smooth rounded edges. (Least important for now)

Afterward I would focus on UV maps then textures that would be enlarged to 4096x4096 for details.
    I'm checking out the videos maybe one of them will show me how to do some details or give me some ideas. I am going through the mesh and adding edges to smooth out the ship when it renders so the software know where the corners are.
    Starship wrote: »
    This is the new shots. I am thinking on either working on more details. Since I am working for a low poly model then probably start seaming the ship for UV mapping. The only details missing are more plates, a few windows, and more detail work on the hatches but this model should be good for some animations and glory shots.
    92234.png92235.png92236.png92237.png
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Why low poly? Is it for animation or a game or something?

The model looks good so far. I like this sort of design. :)
    Why low poly? Is it for animation or a game or something?

The model looks good so far. I like this sort of design. :)

Low poly in the sense of areas that don't need major details I can leave alone for specific areas. The model would eventually be for animations. Once I get to that point plus a faster computer, I can add in details like windows, rooms, bridge etc. Also, if I get bored I can add more details which would add to the poly count. I would like to make a model with a long room/corridor containing the phaser tracks and mechanisms(never seen in ST). I already have a bridge and could possible do a engineering room.

Thanks about the design. I'm going for something the looks fast but looks like it was made only for the purpose of fighting with future cues. I'm getting cues from Defiant, fan-made Diligent, and the Excelsoir. Also mentioning the Bounty as inspiration.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Great saucer
  • spicyjake93spicyjake930 Posts: 0Member
    Any updates on this? I've been watching your ship for a while now, mainly on Nystic. It's looking good although low poly like others have pointed out, still looks great though! Are you planning on adding textures or are you just going to give it a toon kind of look? I look forward to seeing some more updates :)
  • Any updates on this? I've been watching your ship for a while now, mainly on Nystic. It's looking good although low poly like others have pointed out, still looks great though! Are you planning on adding textures or are you just going to give it a toon kind of look? I look forward to seeing some more updates :)

I'm planning on adding textures. The problem I have is in Blender which faces are showing transparent when they are not so the additional details I want to add I cant without a massive headache and pain killers. I don't know if it is a limitation of Blender or my computer. The details are very close and tight if zoomed in someone can see it.
  • Any updates on this? I've been watching your ship for a while now, mainly on Nystic. It's looking good although low poly like others have pointed out, still looks great though! Are you planning on adding textures or are you just going to give it a toon kind of look? I look forward to seeing some more updates :)

By the way, if I cant find a solution I will texture it. I will like to complete the model and put it in a good animation.
  • I started uv mapping this baby. :) I have specific areas for different texture colors. Once I select the textures for vertex groups. I am thinking of changing the ship to use three materials (saucer, hull, and nacelles). Then I can create the textures for each. I'll be updating as I go through it.
    Any updates on this? I've been watching your ship for a while now, mainly on Nystic. It's looking good although low poly like others have pointed out, still looks great though! Are you planning on adding textures or are you just going to give it a toon kind of look? I look forward to seeing some more updates :)

Hi,

I've been converting the model from several about ten surface materials to three surface materials. Then making a almost understandable UV was ten times harder. These are the results so far. The UV's are 3072 by 3072 which would be doubled when textured. So I can get very detailed surfaces. Color areas are the surface materials slash UV's.

Vivienne
    92910.jpg92911.jpg
    These are the UV's. Any thoughts? I'm going do 6144 x 6144 textures minimum leaving some space. When I redo the UV layout in the future I have some space to do more edits and scaling.
    92912.jpg92913.jpg92914.jpg
  • Hello All,

Sorry about the super long updated. So, I switched computers and life isn't so hectic. So I updated the mesh. I changed the nacelles and a whole bunch of other things. Still WIP but I can animate soon once the textures are finish.

magellantop.jpg
    98866.jpg98867.jpg98868.jpg
    Looking better! I suggest to increase a bit the bussards size. ;)
  • Starship wrote: »
    Looking better! I suggest to increase a bit the bussards size. ;)

I'm going with the streamlined bussards. I have to go back over the model and update all the materials. I'm still on the material stage. Once I finish it all, I will do the whole model again.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Nice ship, it reminds me of a cross between a sovereign class and nebulae class. I'm looking forward to seeing more.