Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPirate Mothership

SolCommandSolCommand172 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys

Right now I'm working on a carrier/mothership model for a pirate faction and I could sure use some suggestions. The ship is supposed to be able to carry enough supplies, ammo and spare parts so that it won't have to resupply for a very long time.
The front of the model is pretty much the way I want it however from the middle towards the back I hit a dead-end and I just can't seem to figure out how to make it look and what modules and shapes should I add to it. I've already scrapped several designs in the last few days. If you have any idea for a design change, new modules and details, please feel free to give me some hints or even paint over the image.

Cheers

update*

Attachment not found.

154wwp4.jpg
98977.jpg
Post edited by SolCommand on
x2.jpg 85.6K
Tagged:

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    how big is it? what are its dimentions?
  • SolCommandSolCommand172 Posts: 0Member
    So far it has:
    - length = 300m
    - width = 65m
    - height = 120m
  • vnm51vnm51173 Posts: 0Member
    @SolCommand:
    I like the basic shape, a vert wing would be fit to the side by the stern.
    Btw your nickname is familiar to me. Are you from the starport?
    Hehe, yeah mate. Been lurking around there for quite a few years.
    Cheers for the hint, I'll go and see how that looks.
    Yeah, I remember you bud I loved your models especially the asteroid hideouts.
    In that case you are Sol from TSP you know what I mean by saying vert wings on the side like the Bloodhound or Mule has.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a neat looking model so far. I look forward to seeing it progress. :)
    vnm51, I liked making asteroid bases also but considering no one really ever used them in FL mods I kinda gave up on doing any of them any more.

Cheers evil_genius_180. So far it has 26k polys and I set myself a limit of 40k as I want to use it in a game so I can't go too high on the poly count.

Here's some more work done to it today.
    dsc2.jpg
    98812.jpg
    dsc2.jpg 293.2K
    Today I decided to get rid of the big shape at the bottom to make the ship look sleeker and I also added a few more details here and there plus made a bridge for it.
    98825.jpg
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    you know i think i liked it better with the bit on the bottom
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Interesting design so far, but I agree having the bit on the bottom balances the design more and also should help balance thrust, if engines are down there, since right now it looks like most of your engines are up top.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looking good! and I agree.. leave the bottom :)
    When 3 people say something is better one way, it means it really is better that way :)
    Here's the almost-final model design where I added again the bottom part plus a few more details here and there. I've already exceeded my poly limit by about 5k but if you guys have some cool suggestions about changes I could do to the model to make it better I'm all ears, if not I'll call it a day.
    98878.jpg
    dsc4.jpg 333.9K
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Something to clarify what those domes on the side are? I can't tell if their supposed to be reactors or sensors.
    Here it is.

I'm pretty much interested in general design changes you might suggest and also what other modules could I add to the ship to make it look more "realistic".
    98881.jpg
    DSC5.jpg 157.4K
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    ammo storage area doesn't look quite right to my eyes not sure what i would replace it with though - maybe recess it into the hull slightly and some greebles?

otherwise though great design, keep up the good work
    @SolCommand:
    The modelling part is good (as usual) but the position of the torpedo launchers are weird so are the escape pods imo, you'd rather replace the torps with the small cargo or place the torps near the drone launchers, and replace the small cargo with the escape pods.
  • DGWilliamsDGWilliams0 Posts: 0Member
    I love this design. My only gripe is your main engine placement, which appears to be wayyyy off the center of mass of the ship.
  • SebastianPSebastianP171 Posts: 0Member
    This looks awesome, I love the whole idea of it.

I have a couple of suggestions: First of all, keep *all* of the versions you've shown in the thread. Pirate ships are maintained and customized by their crews, no two would look the same, and the differences between ships even with the same starting point would become greater and greater as time goes on.

Second, show us what the stock, unmodified version of this ship looks like, and tell us its purpose. Pirate ships, unless they're sponsored by a government (in which case they're privateers, or the state is rogue) won't be built for the purpose originally. With the features that look part of the base design, I'm thinking this might be an old patrol craft or maybe a salvage ship, or deep space tug.

Third, now that you have a pirate ship, you need some transports to serve as prey, and a naval frigate to hunt the pirates... :)
    These are all cool suggestions guys, thanks !
    I've taken a few days off from this model to clear my head and meanwhile I did a few weapon variations that I thought would go well with this particular ship.

Bulletstorm+preview.jpg
    Bulletstorm+prev2.jpg
    Here's the latest and final version of this model. More variations based on it will follow in the future (civilian/military/etc.).

Things I changed based on your suggestions:
    - ammo storage area redesigned
    - small cargo was replaced with escape pods
    - engines were moved in better positions

I kept the position of the torpedoes because I like it this way more. I remember seeing in a movie how the crew were having their lunch in the mess hall and suddenly they can see out the window how the ship is launching torpedoes and then moments later the general alarm sounds. That's why I'll keep the torpedoes in front of the crew deck.
    98977.jpg
    x2.jpg 51.1K
    looks way cooler
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Looking good, dude. Coming along nicely. :)
    needs a docking port for a boarding craft for when they raid ships