Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAtlantis | Lightwave

themyth212themyth212331 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2012 in Work in Progress #1
This will be a slow going project just getting into Lightwave modeler coming from 3ds max so gonna learn as i build.
98823.jpg
98824.jpg
Post edited by themyth212 on
001.jpg 113.2K
002.jpg 63.5K
Tagged:

• themyth212themyth212331 Posts: 0Member
    Update...
    92349.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I find the best tools for me are Boolan, Bevel, and Rounder.
    Once you have these 3 tools sorted in your head, a lot of stuff becomes simple.
    You're off to a good start and you've picked a concept which will give you a call for a lot of different techs.
    Updated...
    92360.jpg
    Updated...
    92361.jpg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I am curious. What is the reason for going to Lightwave from 3ds Max? I'm a Lightwave user as well.
    Pagrin: I use boolean, bevel, rounder and stencil along with moving points in X, Y, Z directions holding down control Key. Pen is useful (I could see it being used to lay out the base on Atlantis here) as well as the rotate tool. Taper and Bend come in handy often as well.
    I always found Bend to be kind of a pain to use myself, but I can see where it would be handy, if I practiced with it a bit. I forgot about Pen, with my first posting. You're right Brandenberg it would be really easy to make the base of the city with just that and Extrude.

There is a really good DVD on advanced modelling in LW where you build a Viper. That covers a lot of the tools in detail. But I suspect you could learn just as much by working on any really detailed project.

The progress on the city is coming along nicely BTW.
    I am curious. What is the reason for going to Lightwave from 3ds Max? I'm a Lightwave user as well.
    Pagrin: I use boolean, bevel, rounder and stencil along with moving points in X, Y, Z directions holding down control Key. Pen is useful (I could see it being used to lay out the base on Atlantis here) as well as the rotate tool. Taper and Bend come in handy often as well.

honestly i just felt like changing to lw, got alot of free time and learning the program just seams like a fun idea.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    I always found Bend to be kind of a pain to use myself, but I can see where it would be handy, if I practiced with it a bit. I forgot about Pen, with my first posting. You're right Brandenberg it would be really easy to make the base of the city with just that and Extrude.

There is a really good DVD on advanced modelling in LW where you build a Viper. That covers a lot of the tools in detail. But I suspect you could learn just as much by working on any really detailed project.

The progress on the city is coming along nicely BTW.

thanks.

btw i used one face and edge extender to shape out the base as well as bridge and multishift.
    Updated...
    92376.jpg
    Updated...
    92383.jpg
    A really nice job. Ambitious project! You don't look new with Lightwave at all.
    Pagrin wrote:

I have that two DVD set. Drawing the Viper and Advanced Texturing and Rendering by Kevin Phillips. You are spot on. That DVD jumped my skill with Lightwave "lightyears." The guy has a very pleasant New Zealand accent so it is not a pain to watch. So "I'm pretty happy with that" - Kevin Phillips.

BTW you are also right that Pen and Extrude go together like salt and pepper. Bend is tricky, but there really is no other way to make pipes or conduit. Whenever I can, I'll copy bends I have done before and just align them and "weld" them in place. This is because the problem with bend is that once you have bent something, you get funny outcomes if you try to bend the same object again to make a tortuous shape. There is rail extrude, but I'm never thrilled with how that comes out unless I am trying to make something more random looking like flexible hoses or something.
    A really nice job. Ambitious project! You don't look new with Lightwave at all.

I have that two DVD set. Drawing the Viper and Advanced Texturing and Rendering by Kevin Phillips. You are spot on. That DVD jumped my skill with Lightwave "lightyears." The guy has a very pleasant New Zealand accent so it is not a pain to watch. So "I'm pretty happy with that" - Kevin Phillips.

BTW you are also right that Pen and Extrude go together like salt and pepper. Bend is tricky, but there really is no other way to make pipes or conduit. Whenever I can, I'll copy bends I have done before and just align them and "weld" them in place. This is because the problem with bend is that once you have bent something, you get funny outcomes if you try to bend the same object again to make a tortuous shape. There is rail extrude, but I'm never thrilled with how that comes out unless I am trying to make something more random looking like flexible hoses or something.

i use lathe to make my pipes, its so easy to use and perfect for pipes.
    Is there some way I have been missing to make bent pipes with lathe? If you're just making straight pipe, use the disc tool and highlight the end in polygon mode and bevel the opening if you need to see the inside of the pipe.
    lathe makes the bend in the pipes rather great, i don't know of a better tool for making those bends, easy and a lot of control, seam perfect.
    Updated...
    92400.jpg
    When I'm doing a pipe. I tend to use disc add in a few sections with the cursor keys, then just use the rotate to place each section. If you are concerned about the poly count or keeping them smooth and natural looking you can also reduce the tube to only 4 polys and use the tab key to turn them into sub-patched polys. Which rounds off all the joined edges. So a square becomes a circle. or in this case a long boxed tube becomes a round pipe.

Video is for anyone really but Brandenberg was wondering about how i use the lathe tool to make the bend in pipes so video is mainly for him.
    Proves that there is more than one way to skin a cat I'd say, themyth good job.
    Updated...
    92462.jpg
    Updated...
    92482.jpg
    might get back to this, will be slow going if i do though.
    98823.jpg98824.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I hope you do, it's really cool. I don't know how I missed this thread last year, but I just looked through it and I like what you've done so far. :D
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I wonder why no one ever creates the Stardrive side of the city
  • jeffabbyjeffabby171 Posts: 32Member
    outstanding