Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCoolhands 3D printing projects.

• liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Have you thought about buying/making your own printer for fun?
    Coolhand
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    I'd have no need of one personally, given the cost of them presently its far cheaper to use a print service for fun. would I like one? well who wouldn't...;)

I fully foresee that it won't be very long however before people are not selling prints, but selling or giving away the models to print at home.

Meph, sorry i've been so busy i've had no time to work on the large scale version so far:(
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    you should remodel that so youc an place a electric motors in it so you can turn it in to an rc car
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Meph, sorry i've been so busy i've had no time to work on the large scale version so far:(

No worries, mate. The end of the year is alway hectic, ye. ;)
    Finally getting round to thinning it out for larger scales and new materials... (like frosted ultra detail)
    100093.jpg
    And so it continues...
    100209.jpg
    Bought meself a bleedin' resin printer innit, don't 'arf stink tho!

Test prints in 15mm figure scale (a common wargaming scale)

4dqily06422u.jpg
    bcaduomumk4t.jpg
    ndy36b8rbp5t.jpg
    Lizzy777MadKoiFishStarCruiserStarrigger
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Good to see you still around Steve! Very nice.
    Coolhand
    Someone remembers me! Thanks RW, this new printer tech is crazy.

And look how fancy the place is now, I get notified of replies, there's a like button, never had any of that back in my day....
    backstept
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Lol, you and a few others got me into 3d modeling buddy. I'll always be grateful.
    Oh no, not another life ruined! ;)

Its good to hear from you, and I hope we all get better soon.
    Intricately greebled and unnamed miniature-scale sci-fi truck thing! Aiming for a model that can be printed in several parts as a kit in scales from 15mm figure scale up.
    yq3zcutbxzmv.jpg
    69movbyavhi2.jpg
    il7rmp2o1d9n.jpg
    SCE2AuxLizzy777StarCruiserStarriggerwibble
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Looks great. Love the tires. At first I thought you'd put your handle across the front as well, but it was just your watermark.
    Cheers Roj, thanks for stopping by, everyone seems like those tires, just don't study the smoothness of the sidewalls too closely, good thing I slapped a lot of text over them :p

BTW here's my facebook page link if anyone is interested/kind enough to drop a follow/like or comment. https://www.facebook.com/CoolhandCustoms
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    HE LIVES!

.... Nice to see you are still milking all the vertices, and now able to print out some of your bad boys... I hope you have a fleet of those space fighters printed and hanging from your bedroom ceiling!
    Cheers Dan, nice to see you're still around, unfortunately the missus is generally mad enough at me already, but with this resin technology I'd like to print a couple of the classics in 'studio scale.' Maybe when it warms up a bit, resin and cold don't mix too well.
  • dunedune2 Posts: 4Member
    Alnair wrote: »
    That model looks great! :)
    Coolhand wrote: »
    IRML, There's a minimum clearance between parts to make them work as a single mechanism, unused material between the parts is flushed away and all the parts are self enclosing so no need to use screws or glue on hundreds of tiny parts... for scale the wheels are just over 1cm in diameter at my first chosen scale and parts like the tiny control rods are less than a millimeter.

Suspension and steering are self contained modules - so i dont have print an entire vehicle for testing. you can see the suspension is very chunky to meet tolerance requirements. The suspension and steering are also rigged up using inverse kinematics so i can for example drag the central steering bar and that applies constrained force through the link arms to move the wheels and this responds no matter what the suspension deflection is, which is also an inverse kinematic setup - also makes animation very easy to setup and have working suspension in the animation, effects like bump steer are naturally modelled in the system even.

Having this setup is essential for tweaking the limits of the design for steering lock and suspension limits, so the twisting organic look of the wishbones is a result of making something thick enough to print and also be functional at a given small scale.
    L2K wrote: »
    you might want revise your title. de laS carreteras (or de la carretera, decide if its plural or not ;) )

Ah, There was bound to be something wrong with the translation. As inept an error that it is, I'm glad thats apparently all it was... I'll amend the thread and further titles. thanks!:)

as for the shine, its been polished up for the above top secret publicity photos displayed here;)

Alnair, thanks!
    93630.jpg93631.jpg

• dunedune2 Posts: 4Member
    Reminds me of the one from Aliens especially the gun turrent!
    Nice
    Hey all here's a freebie 3D printing miniature in stl format, you can dl it from my Patreon!
    https://www.patreon.com/CoolhandDirect
    r69r2omd5oel.jpg
    kpheh4gcj1sh.jpg
    StarCruiserLizzy777Starriggerashleytingerpubliusr
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Welcome back CH, I knew there was a reason my brain brought me back here, and welcome to the 3D printing community.
    Starrigger
    Ah, knight, my old nitpicking nemesis! Considering my earlier prototypes from almost 20 years ago would cost literally thousands of $ to print (which fortunately was entirely clients concern!) using stereo lithography back in the day.... Having an SLA machine, incl materials and post processing eqpt, which costs less than a single print from 2 decades ago to do high quality resin prints at home is a game changer, what machines do you have?

Improved version of the tuk-tuk, but some goofball overloaded it!

s2j82n6yrtz0.jpg

Lizzy777StarCruiserMadKoiFish
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    The nitpicking was all in love and admiration.
    There is always a seat for you at the round-table sir... As long as you keep your hands off fair Guinevere ofc!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    more I read of people's adventures in 3d printing the more I think I will never come to a decision and end up with both styles of printer.

Love the modded tuktuk
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    more I read of people's adventures in 3d printing the more I think I will never come to a decision and end up with both styles of printer.

Love the modded tuktuk

A combination is usually the best approach anyway, resin for the detail parts and filament for the less well defined stuff
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Love the modded tuktuk

After owning both types I'd advise you to get a resin printer, today.

Only real downside is the chemicals are no joke and should be treated as such.

Outrageous detail and I still haven't got the machine fully dialed in, get the machine, peel off the protective films, level the build plate, fill the tank with resin and you're ready to go, I've had 100% success so far.omxyihajxrm8.jpg
    Lizzy777
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    edited February 24 #88
    @Coolhand, I'm just gonna leave this here:
    Post edited by lennier1 on
    Those are solid resin wargaming pieces - its normal that the glass is a painted on effect for such models, a clear canopy for this\/ would be nice though. I'll probably print it as an open framework initially... still early days, see if you can guess what it is/from...
    gh9ztuxhtora.png
    737ijjk8sduo.png
    lennier1StarCruiserLizzy777
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Is it from Wipeout?
    Coolhand
    Correct! You have won this round, but for 5 bonus points can you name the team or pilot? ikz86wqttow0.png Here's a bit more, detailing still very much in-flux, not sure what its meant to be, power generators, sensors, weapons dispensers should be somehow represented, for example the ship in game fires rearward missiles and dispenses packs of anti-gravity mines to thwart rival teams,
    .... I wonder where the bit of detail texture Psygnosis used in the psx game was cropped from.rktc1b4hxlpi.png

StarCruiserLizzy777lewisniven