Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWarhammer 40K Storm Eagle

huzzelwuzzelhuzzelwuzzel2 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Here's the Storm Eagle i'm working on, modelled after the original Forgeworld design, which again is more or less a (prettier) redesign of Games Workshop's Stormraven. I intend to do the complete interior as well.
I use Google Sketchup for modelling and Deep Exploration for rendering.
98663.png
98664.png
Post edited by huzzelwuzzel on

• StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome aboard!
    Good modelling sir. Keep posting. ;)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, the Reliant Robin of the 40K world! Still pretty good modelling, though. I haven't seen one done.
  • huzzelwuzzelhuzzelwuzzel2 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks. Here's a minor update with some interior shots and the new twin-linked heavy bolter.
    98686.jpg
    Do you have a physical model with you to copy from or just looking through the instructions?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    are you going to model the storm talon aswell?
    I wish i had the physical model *or* the instructions with proper orthogonal pictures from all sides. I just vaguely use pictures i find on the net as reference, guess lengths and angles and curse when something doesn't seem to fit.
    I probably won't do the Storm Talon, the shapes are a little too complex for my skills and i really don't like it's design. Like the Stormraven, it just looks way too... squat. Like the model *had* to be squeezed in a sprue of a certain size. The Stormraven on the other hand i could do, since it already shares many parts with the Storm Eagle.
    Ok here's the door i did for the bulkhead:
    animated_storm_eagle_door_by_clairegrube-d5mapwq.gif
  • kevinskikevinski0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey nice modell

short question, can you tell me how you did that animation in Sketchup?
    kevinski wrote: »
    Hey nice modell

short question, can you tell me how you did that animation in Sketchup?

Err, short answer: i didn't.
    Long answer: i made 10 screenshots with printscreen and made an animated gif in Photoshop.
    should have a go at the thunderbolt heavy fighter next its pretty simple with the lines and angles
    It's possible to use a plugin to do it, but I figure the way SketchUp works, the manual .gif method might be easier: http://sketchupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/proper-animation-is-very-cool-plugin.html
  • JafitJafit0 Posts: 0Member
    Err, short answer: i didn't.
    Long answer: i made 10 screenshots with printscreen and made an animated gif in Photoshop.

How to spot when someone may have outgrown their current software package and needs to move on to something more powerful :)
    Jafit wrote: »
    How to spot when someone may have outgrown their current software package and needs to move on to something more powerful :)
    and do you have 4 grand you can spend on more powerful software?
  • JafitJafit0 Posts: 0Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    and do you have 4 grand you can spend on more powerful software?

I'm sure everyone on this forum paid full commercial price for their 3ds Max and Maya... and then paid in full again for legit licences for the latest Adobe creative suite... Mhmm... Yup.

Or they used non-commercial student licenses which are available for cheap for most industry standard software.

I'm not even going to suggest any other options for obtaining the software.

Now me, I use
    [url=htp://www.blender.org]Blender[/url], free and open source. Because I am a filthy, low life, scummy, entry-level commercially non-viable hipster douchebag. :)
    Blender is surprisingly good for something free and open source, I wouldn't knock it or discount it. Some of the really cool stuff for it is commercial, but not terribly pricey.

And 4 grand is stupidly expensive. A student-licensed copy of lightwave is ca.$100.
    I do have access to a friend's max version. He actually gets a lot of graphical software from the company he works at, even though he isn't involved in the editing work himself.
    But all this software is on his PC, so i can't do much more than minor changes and renders.
    I've tried Blender, but it doesn't feel intuitive to me somehow. I have to search minutes for the most trivial operations, but maybe that's just me.
    As for Sketchup, i was just fooling around a bit and was surprised how easily and quickly you could knock together complex meshes, as long as it doesn't have too many curved surfaces that is.

gallery_60903_6310_317887.png