Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPalomino re-imaged

psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
edited November 2012 in Work in Progress #1
pal01.jpg

pal02.jpg

pal03.jpg

You know you hear the music.
98427.jpg
Post edited by psCargile on
Tagged:

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Since I haven't seen the movie, I'm not hearing the same thing everyone else is (the Mad Men theme, actually... dunno why, I can hear it over a rumbling spaceship). And yeah, my Palo is WAY different than this baby.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's a great movie, I'd recommend it. The music is great and dramatic.
    psCargile wrote: »

Of course. I love it. :D

The same goes for your model so far. Great start. :thumb:
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Guess I'm not the only one that caught the movie on TV this week! Nice job. Now if you want to really impress, build the Cygnus, lol.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work there.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    psCargile wrote: »
    I usually do. Especially since the Intrada CD came out.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    ah the Palomino!

Just wish that movie physics would stop showing a ship under thrust's crew IN Zero Gee.!!!!

and oh yes.. hearing the music :)
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Oh, I didn't know the movie was on this week.

I wanted to work on a smaller project and I think the Palomino is simple and elegant. My vision is taking a harder sf approach to the design. The thing that bothers me is the tiny engines for what I've always assumed was an interstellar craft. I see the Palomino docked to a larger, more massive star drive unit (like the hyperspace ring in Star Wars for the Jedi fighter), and undocks for solar system exploration. I don't believe there is a precedent for that in the movie, but it's what I'm going to do.

And while the Cygnus looks cool, I don't agree with the design of it in the realm of hard sf. I won't be doing anything like it.
    I'd like to see you give the Palo the engines you think it deserves.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! Such a classic on so many levels (abysmal acting not withstanding).

And, hey between the music and that opening graphic sequence, what's not to love.

Give the girl her due, man! Love to see where this is going.

... and Gods above, below, and behind the door know she's GOTTA be "easier" than the Cygnus!
    Yeah Sanderlee, about the only thing I want to add are propellant tanks (an oversight on the prop?) and some obvious sensors like a trio of telescopes that can undock for larger array field of view, dish antennas, and other odds and ends mounted on top the "drum", and some maneuvering thrusters, but nothing I hope will take away from it's Palonimo-ness.

@BlueNeumann: Unless you mean the proposed star drive rig, the engines as seen here are practically finished.
    Yeah, the proposed star drive rig, I wanna see it on there! Put your stamp on the Palo!
    I agree.. would love to see your take on a star drive :)
    I'm thinking for the star drive maybe the Alcubierre warp, bias, or diametric drive, or a quantum foam inflatable wormhole drive, which is what I use for some of my original material. I was working on some engine structures last night, and today decided to redo the gimbal system replacing the joint and strut with an actual gimbal articulation frame. I got to get to work on that now.
    palengine01.jpg

palengine02.jpg

palengine03.jpg

Gees, I thought researching rocket engine gimbals would be a bit easier. But I found what I was looking for. I have a ball-socket gimbal (following the example of the Saturn J-2 engine) connected to the engine cap and mounting plate. Two servo-actuators provide pitch and yaw. I need to make their attachment points. A spar connected the center of the plate to an attachment near the center spine will transmit thrust forces to the craft, mimicking the trusses on the original.
    palengine04.jpg

Nothing terribly exciting, just to keep it going.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Every little detail matters. It's looking great so far. :)
    Here's the music from the movie for all you youngsters who didn't have the chance to experience it in the theater.

pal04.jpg

Sometimes Rhino's crappy lighting and shadowing can be set to make some interesting artifacts. Looks almost like a plastic model. I have the shadow map offset low enough to shadow the surface causing it bring out the mesh lines of the nurbs geometry.
    palengine05.jpg

I realized that I failed to give my actuators pivot joints on the mounting plate for freedom of motion when the other is extended or retracted. Added hydraulic lines and a cable conduit. Will put a hydraulic reservoir canister between the plates.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    It's been so long since I've seen this that I had to stick the name into Google to find out where it was from... it's looking good, the engine blocks are a definite improvement over the original.
    Thanks.

Been pondering the star drive rig. I know what I want it to look like, and it will be pretty long. The problem to consider is if we send people out to explore the galaxy, we must want that new knowledge to return to Earth in a reasonable amount of time. Flight close to the speed of light means unfavorable time dilation will return the crew in their far future, and such missions risk becoming immediately obsolete as advancements lead to new propulsion means as hundreds of years pass on Earth. Ways of circumventing the light barrier are necessary and the current proposals require exotic mass and negative energy, which implies some form of gravity control, and hence also anti-gravity. I can't remember if they had gravity control for artificial gravity aboard the Palomino, but I recall their surprise at Reinhardt's anti-gravity. Of course it could be that the repulsive gravity the star drive rig will create (to expand space behind it?) isn't controllable in the sense of refining the field to something small.
    Does it help at all that the Palo people found nuttin' out in space?

I have this thought of a flash cube, remember those? I can picture the ring intended to be lined with pulse jump rocket type things, good just once, and now near the end of their voyage they're down to three or four and lots of empty slots.

I'm about to upload my Re-imagined Cygnus (which made me realize what a slump I'm in, design-wise), but I still haven't got an idea for MY Palo, and my Palo-pod still looks like the Owlship from Watchmen in my head. That's no good.
    looking good sir! well to me the gravity on the cygnus was a bit of a movie handwavium, since all the quaters for the zombie crew were layed out for, well gravity.. beds, sinks etc. where if it was zero gee, it would be sacks strapped to the wall.. either that or the whole thing would be layed out diferently in a bottom ( engine) up approch to where if the ship was accelerating at 1 gee, that you would have gravity ( fake gravity) of 1 gee forcing you down on the floor.

as for a FTL drive.. up to you :)
    Does it help at all that the Palo people found nuttin' out in space?

I can't remember the details of the movie and I don't recall reading the book, but while researching I found articles that spoke about a possible remake, one stating that it might take into account what is currently known about blackholes that wasn't known in the late 70s. And I give myself a lot of non-canonical liberty with re-imaginings.

stardriverig.jpg

This is the idea I'm having, basically a Alcubierre drive with a small cross-section to minimize collisions with interstellar debris. I'm thinking such spacetime distortions might adversely effect the destination solar system, so the superluminal drive is shut down at some distance from the target, whereupon the subluminal thrusters take over for stellar orbital insertion. Probes are launched, and the manned exploration craft ventures forth to survey new planets or phenomenon, while the rest of the craft settles into an orbit around a gas-giant for refueling, and mines asteroids/moons to replenish the ablative shielding.

palengine06.jpg
    Roughing in the fuel lines. I think I spend more time figuring out where things are going to go than building (and rebuilding).
    looks interesting :) something like the ship from Avatar, but with the FTL drive :)

also, as an aside, might not want to use warp while in a system due to all the debris, asteroids comets etc. that might impact the ship ( and at FTL... thats Alot of kinetic energy!) so if they don't have any FLT sensors, there basically flying blind, so my guess is that the first ships out would have to map out whats in an area and try to make as accurate of maps as they can.. probably robot ships first.. they stop every few lightyears to survey the area, map it out, make another hop till they're in the next system, then U-turn, and go back to the fleet ship with the info, then the manned ship goes in, thats if there's no FTL communication or sensors

I remember reading a book, fallen dragon, about how they have interstellar travel, but its cost - prohibitive in that the ships are slow and clunky.. so no interstelar trade.. so big company's set up colonys on other planets, then Raid them every decade or so to pay back the company.. interesting book :)

Everythings looking great!
    Space is REALLY big. The chances of running into something bigger than an atom in interstellar space is so small as to be non existent.
    It's certainly speculative, but I'm following the lead of former ESA astrophysicists Alastair Reynolds who shields his lighthuggers in water ice in his Revelation Space universe. Awesome author. So I err on the side of caution. Hitting a 1kg object at .8 c is equal to 25 megatons.

However, I have no idea what effect a field of contacting spacetime "moving" at or greater than the speed of light will have on a object.

pal05.jpg

Meh . . .
    My guess, either KA-THOOM! or plink.
    pal06.jpg

The original model makers had the right idea. This isn't the final design of the compression truss, just a working idea and something to keep the model WIP ongoing. I'm wiped out from work.

Found some interesting things on the Alcubierre warp drive.

http://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/MatterOfMatter-revised-final.pdf This paper explains what happens to light and particles impacting with the warp field at both sub- and superluminal speeds. It's technical but the Conclusion is a little easier to understand. Essentially at FTL speeds, photons get trapped on the forward field and energy boosted, and when the ship slows they are released as a high powered gamma ray burst that would destroy anything in its path -- I'm seeing a potential weapon here of the class or greater than relativistic kill vehicles.

http://earthtech.org/publications/davis_STAIF_conference_2.pdf This paper interest me because it suggests an idea I'm using in my own fiction, which is an advanced alien craft that travels between the branes. This paper claims that if there is higher dimensional space, the warp drive will move the spacecaft off our local brane into the high dimensional space. I guess that's not that much different than a hyperdrive.
    interesting.. read them latter.. Thanks for those!

well, when reading Star Trek.. Sub-Space is basically Hyperspace, or another dimension... and some explanations of warp i've read said that the ship actually travels in subspace.. with warp factors determing how deep the ship is in to Sub space... or how many warp bubble layers there are.. with 10 layers being impossible hince infinate speed limit.. owell :)

Glad to see that your giving alot of thought to it :)

Model is looking great!