Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLet's Get To Work

overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2012 in Finished Work #1
Something I did a short while ago. I haven't posted here before, but I've been on this site for a good while (also in a different username in the past), so I thought, why not?

This is a scene towards the end of Star Trek: Nemesis - just from a different viewpoint. Shinzon's Scimitar would be 'behind the camera' so to speak.

"You heard the lady. Let's get to work." --Captain Picard

COMPOSITION: Starfield rendered in Lightwave. Nebula digitally painted in Photoshop and composited with starfield. Remaining scene setup and render created in Lightwave with FX postwork in Photoshop.

MESHES: Sovereign class by Ralph Schobert, Valdore class Warbird by Adam Ross.

let's-get-to-work_2000px_sfm.jpg
97935.jpg
Post edited by overseerfx on
Tagged:

• LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I'd love to know how you did the quantum torpedoes and Romulan disrupters? Another great render.
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    They were done in Photoshop in post work. It's essentially brushed in 'blob' layers on top of each other (varied blending modes, e.g. color dodge, overlay, soft light etc.) and then slightly elongated with a little motion blur. The disruptors were done in a similar way.

There are some ways to do this in 3D, too, with semi-transparent, textured sphere shapes and an area light with a lens flare in the middle or something along those lines, but I prefer to do these things in post work for stills. You have more control.

I hope that helps?
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    AdamA’s Valdore is a impressive mesh (10 stars!), and the old RalphA’s E-E still can do the job!
    Your rendering turnned out EXCELLENT, but isnA’t the E-E a bit out of scale (bigger than she would be)? ;)
    Thanks, and yes, they are.

As for the sizes, I've used references from the Nemesis movie, so I guesstimated. Given the fact that the D'deridex class we saw in TNG was nearly 1.5 kilometers long, I wonderered after you mentioned it.

So, I've done a little search and based on the information from the size comparison charts of "Star Trek Minutiae", the Sovereign class is 685 meters in length while the Valdore class is 603 meters in length. So they're pretty much even in size. These guys seem pretty accurate, so I guess that should be fine. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Very nice. It looks like a screen cap from Nemesis. :D
    Thank you! :)
  • DevilmanDevilman0 Posts: 0Member
    Damn dude, you gots skills! :devil:
    Thank you very much. Just having fun! :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i thought that star trek nemesis was one of the best films i have ever seen. nice ship designs, good meshes, good image. if only this image had been part of a shot in the film, it looks as good as the cgi they used if not better.
    i thought that star trek nemesis was one of the best films i have ever seen. nice ship designs, good meshes, good image. if only this image had been part of a shot in the film, it looks as good as the cgi they used if not better.

Thank you very much! Nemesis certainly was good. By far not as bad as the vast majority thought!