Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DANH Star Destroyer (Devastator)

stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
edited August 2016 in Work in Progress #1
This is something that I've been tinkering with over the last few weeks. I'm trying to stay fairly faithful to the original shooting miniature and to it's kitbashed details:

Not as daunting as it's TESB counterpart but it's certainly got it's challenges. I'll have more to show shortly - lot's to do!
110980.jpg
Post edited by stonky on
JES
Tagged:

• Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    You'll want to put the X-shaped scanner thingy on top of the conning tower in a vertical orientation to match ANH. They used the model again in the sequels but they changed the orientation of that piece to match the new ESB model.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Awesome!!!
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Great start! I'm a sucker for an ISD model; definitely keeping an eye on this!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    You'll want to put the X-shaped scanner thingy on top of the conning tower in a vertical orientation to match ANH. They used the model again in the sequels but they changed the orientation of that piece to match the new ESB model.

Yeah, I keep going back and forth on that one - but you're right, if I want to be genuine to the model in it's original state, I should keep the array up. There are a few other pieces on the model as it exists today that have fallen off or were removed since it's original construction that I want to include as well. Luckily a bunch of the kit pieces appear several times, that should save me some work. :)

Thanks all!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great start, I'm looking forward to more. :D

Nice idea for a project. Fewer people tend to do the less detailed original ESD model, they usually go for the much more detailed version from Empire. However, the models from Star Wars are cool, even if they're not as detailed as they were in the 2nd film, where they actually had a budget. ;)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Great start, and I agree, should make a nice change to see an ANH styled ISD as apposed to the more commonly modeled TESB version.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    *yummy*
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Nice work Stonky, havent seen anything from you in ages good to see your back with blunt force!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Nice start, Terry. Looking forward to this one.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    OK got me a comfy chair ready, go go go :) great work mate!
    Thanks all!

Moving along ( I haven't adjusted the array on top of the bridge yet, still cranking though a bunch of the individual pieces).

bridge_WIP_2.jpg
    rear_WIP.jpg
    98280.jpg98281.jpg
    looks very good ... want to see more! :)
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Beautiful details!
    Looking great so far. As much as I love other Sci-Fi ships, the ISD has to be one of the coolest ships in all of Sci-Fi. :D (I just don't have the nerve to try modeling one. ;))
    Thanks all!

Detail work continues:
    rear_detail.jpg
    98388.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    its greeble-ishous!
    Awesome stuff. :)
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    Beautiful work; are some of those greebles tank treads?
  • vnm51vnm512 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work. Keep it up!
    Very nice work.
    Thanks all!
    YIIMM wrote: »
    Beautiful work; are some of those greebles tank treads?

Yeah, the tank treads on the back come from the 1/48 Bandai Panther G kit - this particular kit makes a bunch of donations to the ANH Star Destroyer. :)
    More work on the bridge:

bridge_WIP_3.jpg
    102129.jpg
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool! :thumb:

(And I see you haven't adjusted the position of the sensor array yet… :D )
    Looking great, Terry.:)
    Looking great, Terry.:)

Thanks!

@DarkSapiens: thank you! Haha, no, the array remains down for now. :) I did fix some of the other array stuff though, including the ribbing on the the Akagi parts - the styrene chips are staggered now like they should be, as opposed to all being the same shape and size like they were before. Difficult to see here though.

A little more work (I've roughed in the precious 8-Rad trench part as well as some of the turret pieces, amongst others):

8_rad.jpg

More to come!
    102181.jpg
    wow ... looking great!
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Nice… It's gonna be VERY cool to see this finished. This one will have all those turrets that we see in the Incredible Cross-Sections book, right?
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    You are a very brave man Stonky or crazy as a bag of frozen jelly, either way great work :)
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    stonky wrote: »
    This is something that I've been tinkering with over the last few weeks. I'm trying to stay fairly faithful to the original shooting miniature and to it's kitbashed details:

Attachment not found.

Not as daunting as it's TESB counterpart but it's certainly got it's challenges. I'll have more to show shortly - lot's to do!
    Great start, I'm looking forward to more. :D

Nice idea for a project. Fewer people tend to do the less detailed original ESD model, they usually go for the much more detailed version from Empire. However, the models from Star Wars are cool, even if they're not as detailed as they were in the 2nd film, where they actually had a budget. ;)

my clicking fingers get stiff and refuse to cooperate whenever i think about tackling something outrageously greebled like the Avenger... or Galactica... or the Esb Falcon... :lol:

ive always loved the various SSD's, but the Devastator's radar domes always killed any realism in it for me as a kid. my grandmother had a china cabinet that used the same door handles... one look and all i could see was doors and drawers... heh

could you imagine modeling all the greebles on the Avenger though??? sometimes i like to poke through this thread and pretend i could ever do them all:
    http://www.therpf.com/f10/building-8-star-destroyer-superstructures-done-68377/
    anystar wrote: »
    could you imagine modeling all the greebles on the Avenger though??? sometimes i like to poke through this thread and pretend i could ever do them all:
    http://www.therpf.com/f10/building-8-star-destroyer-superstructures-done-68377/

I don't want to hiJack this thred but I'm working on exact this Avenger. Made from 3D replicas of the existing Kitparts. Not much there so I havn't start a thread here. Will come when I have more to show.

isd_003.jpg

back to the Devastator ... ;) Your doing a great job there, Terry :)

Chris
    102186.jpg