Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSSV Normandy SR2

12346»

• matt/mathiasmatt/mathias0 Posts: 0Member
    hey I have uploaded the v1.0 model but i dont know how long it takes before the download will be available
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I must say i completly love this mesh! I'm right now converting it to blender and fixing some details of my own liking. I'll prolly make an animation soonish!

Man... i really need to be more active on this forum x)
    Where would I go to download the finished result? I can't see any links anywhere.

Oh, and would it be possible to get a one-off with the name "Gallipolli" on it? I think I mentioned that a while back. It's for an online RPG I'm running. :) I'd do it myself if the downloads had the means to do it, but I haven't a clue what I'm doing. (hehe)
    You wanted one with no Cerberus tags right??
    Well download the model from the download section, and then replace the two textures called A“normandy_signA” and A“normandy_sign_maskA”

With these two
    http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/matt-thoren/normandy_sign_Gallipolli.jpg
    http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/matt-thoren/normandy_sign_Gallipolli.jpg
    Heh. Both files are identical. Did one get missed?

Thanks! :)
    Sweet! Thanks! :)
    Thank You, for your designs/model/ so on for I am going to build the Normandy SR2. I do not joke, I am currently in the information gathering stage. I'll worry about money once the everything comes together. Maybe get a benefactor or two, but I was looking for the layout of the Normandy SR2 and I came upon this thread. Which proved to be very useful so I had to write a reply to thank you. Also if I didn't mention this will be a real, full sized, working Normandy capable of space flight! So, Thank You again.
  • radigerradiger0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi i downloaded you ship model and i want to put it into my Freelancer game but am not sure how to do that. Can you please help me out?
    No I don’t :P I have done a bit of modding myself, but not freelancer.. my guess would be first to make the model smaller in size, since I doubt that the engine can handle the model, after that set up some weapons, engine points or something :)
    I’m sorry but I can’t help you with freelancer, since I don’t know it...
  • Hi Matthias!

I joined and picked up your 3d model awhile ago, but I forgot to chime in here until now. Your model is an amazing piece of work, and all of the detail is really top notch!

I am using it to make a scale model out of plasticard, resin clay and LED's. I am making it for a charity auction for the Mass Effect Marathon that my friends put on every November. It should be finished in time to be auctioned off on the 26th!

If you are interested in seeing my progress, check out:
    http://revenantautumn.blogspot.com/2011/10/normandy-sr2-model-build.html

That post it a few weeks out of date, but I should have another update posted very soon.

AdiZzQuCAAAMhb0.jpg

-Revenant Autumn
  • dantheman221dantheman2210 Posts: 0Member
    Hey thanks, I'm new here and to tell you the truth, I just came here to get this model. xD I really liked it. Hm..Maybe I can make the mass effect 3 version of it? :)
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    I'm new here and to 3D apps, got Google Sketchup (non-Pro version) and enjoying the opportunity to play. :) Love Mass Effect (except the ending to ME3, let's not discuss that further) and the Normandy and love what you've accomplished here. Same for you RevenantAutumn - I would love to make a physical model one day.

Are you planning on working on the interior designs or is your focus just on the general ship?

Please, keep up the awesome work, you have inspired this noob. :D
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    lol hard to do teh interior on such a small physical model dontcah think akb?
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    That is pretty cool looking so far :)
    colbmista wrote: »
    lol hard to do teh interior on such a small physical model dontcah think akb?

Yes on the physical model certainly (unless you're very skilled and extremely patient!). I was actually referring to a 3D interior though. :)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    well this sint a 3d model its a physical model so im sure that wont be happening how ever the way that matt has done his 3d model makes it hard for him to do the interior as he has done it like that physical model
    colbmista wrote: »
    how ever the way that matt has done his 3d model makes it hard for him to do the interior as he has done it like that physical model

Well then...Matt can consider doing the interior his next project. ;):D
    well.... i can make the interior... but it wouldn't fit inside the ship, cause bioware has a way of making an awesome ship designed and a cool interior, but the people making it did not talk together at all, and the interior would stick out of the side of the ship :argh:
    well.... i can make the interior... but it wouldn't fit inside the ship, cause bioware has a way of making an awesome ship designed and a cool interior, but the people making it did not talk together at all, and the interior would stick out of the side of the ship :argh:

You noticed this too? :D I've made my own ship based on Normandy from ME3 and yes it doesn't fit at all - I think the comm room is the only room that won't completely fit and perhaps some of the war room...still a brilliant ship. I want want! :D
  • himenoinuhimenoinu0 Posts: 0Member
    It is probably already to add anything to this thread, but anyway... I've ended up trying to 'cook' some places Normandy SR2 could visit and was having issues with its size (both interior and exterior). After doing some research, both online and on my own and coming up with a staggering 230 meters for the ship's length, I've tried fitting the interior maps inside the Normandy. That's where things went crazy: Aligning the areas based on the contour of the maps (there's a ghostly silhouette around each of the deck maps), I was able to place them around the ship:
    positionsonthenormandy.jpg

Of course, it doesn't make much sense if we're to take it as it is. However, given the fact the neck area isn't of much use (just a looong walk from the CIC to Joker's cockpit), it would be bad to design it to be the proper length (given how many times I walked that path, if the level designers would've made it the "real" nearly 100 meters long, chatting with Joker during a 2nd or even later play-through would be discouraged. Also, to avoid too much not really necessary details, I believe Normandy SR2, given her size, ended up with a skeleton crew and a small general operations area (where the non-rpg crew would be). AI or not, having less than a dozen crew members isn't too plausible for such a huge vessel. Adding to that the very limited number of cryo pods (not enough even for Shepard's team), one could say some concessions were made. But! The hull's width is around 25 meters, its height around 19 (above the cargo hold). So plenty of room to fit most of the maps inside her.
    Bottom line, once one nails down the positioning of either the Captain's Cabin (and takes into consideration that the rest of the staff can't only have 1 room for R&R - probably forcing Deck 1 to have more than 1 room, or crowding deck 3 some more) or of the Engineering Deck, aligning everything else in a plausible fashion should be possible... Oh yeah! and there's no way all those red dots on Normandy's hull are windows: they're waay too many (even for a ship this size) and too small, even if we consider the existence of other areas on the Living Quarters Deck (that didn't make it into the final layout)
    97886.jpg
    Well the shuttle bay is in front of the lift which runs vertically all the way to deck 1 (captain's cabin), so once you locate that and the position of the lift you can locate the rest.
    One thing's for sure: just playing puzzle with Normandy's deck maps won't work. I've also looked at ME3 decks and there it's even worse. Also, I did a bit of math and, if defining the floor square plates as being only 2x2 meters, the length of the shuttle bay should be at least 30-ish meters (14 floor plates and some spare space) which would push the engine room back quite a bit (as opposed to the maps you are provided with in-game). So, for someone willing to dive in such a monstrous task (of piecing together Normandy's decks, while also make it have all the logic - that is accommodate a 200+ crew), the best place to start really is the Shuttle Bay area (with an extension regarding the engine room, so that the big eezo sphere would still be inside the ship); there would also be at least 3 other constraints: cockpit - with the airlock area, the main battery (so the placement of the thanix cannons remains the same both inside and out - there are a couple of moments during the collector ship fight where one could get the positioning just right) and probably the observation rooms (which are, most probably above the wings-somewhere). The CIC and the 1st floor don't help much (with the former needing to be closer to the cockpit, to make room for extra crew areas and pushing the elevator behind quite a bit, and the latter needing to have some extra cabins too).

I should also mention that while the number of the windows (the red dots I was talking about earlier) is still huge (even in an extended version interior), the size is probably right (~1 meter).
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    didn't you see the interior layout every time you used the lift in me2 - sure it showed all the levels inside the hull

yeah checked cant find many images of it but
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KCQ2h6p7dek/S22fhNCsRdI/AAAAAAAAAks/b9UtOR-n-84/s1600/me2+030.JPG
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    didn't you see the interior layout every time you used the lift in me2 - sure it showed all the levels inside the hull...
    It's been discussed quite a bit around the net - this interior layout showed while using the elevator. Of course all levels are inside the hull :) it would be silly to have parts of it 'touching the void'. But what I was rambling about is the logic of it: you could see from the maps you're talking about that on the CIC deck the elevator is way in the back, while the map still shows an empty rectangle where the elevator shaft should be. Also the elevator exits aren't aligned there (nor on the game maps - and for that to be easily noticeable, you should look at the ME3 deck maps). Even more, I was talking about making the inside of the Normandy accommodate a crew its size requires (which should be around 1-200 souls right? :D). And here the the problem reaches a new size: 1 living quarters room with around 10-12 bunks, 12 chairs in the mess, 8 cryo-pods and, apparently - again - no escape pods areas (which, I'd say, can't be all on one deck, or in a single place). Lastly, there is, I think (not sure about it, until I start working on it), the problem I was talking about: the shuttle bay area combined with the engine rooms might have a hard time fitting inside the hull. The place where you fight the oculus is quite large (it's the deck 5 in ME3) and it is at the same height with Jack's room (or should be, unless the Normandy has more floors than 4 - or 5 in ME3). This puts the engine core in the area of the ship where its hull shrinks: the core is big (that's what everyone says about all of the Normady versions' engines), it has to be anyway, to provide the power a "monster" like the SR2 requires. In the game you can see the engine room all the way up from deck 2... All in all, a tricky job - designing and putting together every piece of Normandy's interior (as I've said before, everything we walked through in the games has to be only a part of the Normandy's areas - needing more dinning tables, beds, cryo-pods, escape shuttles access and, of course, places where the crew can 'work' - speaking of which, EDI's presence (especially in ME3) might lower the required crew size, but it still can't be a handful of people).
    And to end the rambling, Normandy's decks offer a very enjoyable playing experience, but (for me at least) a nightmarish engineering challenge. Luckily I'm still eons away from that bit (drawing the views needed to create the exterior).
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    why do you think the normandy requires such a large crew? its a small frigate not an aircraft carrier - its one size up from a single seater fighter in mass effect universe - fighter - frigate -cruiser - dreadnaught - based on how many people you see aboard i'd say 50 max

and i dont see a need for any more than that - its not got a huge weapons loadout so only need a couple to monitor the weapons - couple pilots so joker can sleep occasionally - all electronic warfare is handled by edi - but lets say couple to monitor such thigns - some on nav and sensors say 10-15 in engine room

nah 50 people more than adaquate for the normandy's size - just did a google on it and looks like 50 is generous - so i would jsut take the me2 layout as fact and not try to complicate matters
    I have no choice but to agree with you :) My crew size estimations were highly inaccurate... for me, a 200+ meters long vessel was big enough to warrant a big crew. But yeah, you're right. I've also recounted the bunks in the living quarters and they're 24, so, maybe 24 is a proper number for the ship's crew, giving the SR2 a total of around 40. Which, then, only requires maybe a few more sits in the mess and maybe a soft pillow for the members of the crew which are always at their posts in-game, the escape pods and some adjusting of the number of windows (structural weaknesses :D). The future's bright! But then the in-game maps are off for quite a bit for, apparently, no good reason (unless the SR2 inside design suffered major stages quite late in the dev process). I'm pretty sure things will become clearer once the exterior is done (and after a more thorough research).

On a side note, I apologize for seemingly hijacking this thread - I'll create my own if need be, once I have more to post than just words.
  • AescapuliusAescapulius331 Posts: 0Member
    I don't think those are windows... If I remember correctly those are thermal dump radiators - Normandy (SR1) didn't mount strip radiators like larger vessels (being too small to effectively mount them) instead using disposable refrigerants and coolant tanks for thermal dump (when not stealthed). It needed to have those resupplied after extended sortie, just like the fighters did.

SR2 doesn't mount strip radiators either; instead it uses multiple smaller radiator panels - Less surface area but radiate more heat, and glow when the ship is underway, unless stealth mode is active.

The only windows on Normandy all had armoured shutters.