Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDestiny

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking freaking outstanidng.
  • VilandraVilandra0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys! Im having trouble deciding which texture to use as the main hull texture. Which one do you guys like best?
    98229.jpg98230.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I like the one on left for detail, but the one on the right looks less like linoleum due to lower reflectivity.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    I like the complexity of the one on the left, but the color balance of the one on the right.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I agree, the left one looks like the detail is spot on, but the right has a much nicer looking background noise/specularity level detail.
    Ok, then it looks like ill take both of those images and combine them in photoshop to get the detail and complexity of the one on the left, while using the color balance of the one on the right.

I would definitely agree with the comments on this so far. :)
  • sumisu55sumisu55331 Posts: 0Member
    Agreed. I like the detail of the first one but the color of the second.
    Some new renders with the new hull texture. I used the two textures I showed earlier, but I overlayed them so I could get the nice pattern from the first one, while keeping the overall color and look of the second one. Render time per frame (720p) is roughly anywhere from 1 minute, to 3 minutes, depending on how many area lights I have turned on.

Once all the textures and shaders are all set up, I was planning on remaking the intro scene from the pilot episode, but ill probably do it in 1080p, just to get as much resolution as possible without taking forever to render.

More coming soon.
    98271.jpg98272.jpg98273.jpg98274.PNG
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Magnificent work!

1-3 minutes?! :o I wish mine were that fast. Mine generally take over 1.5 hours to get that level of lighting fidelity.

This is what I get for using an experimental open source rendering engine that's aimed at CUDA-supported graphics card...when I don't have a CUDA-supported graphics card.
    McC wrote: »
    Magnificent work!

1-3 minutes?! :o I wish mine were that fast. Mine generally take over 1.5 hours to get that level of lighting fidelity.

This is what I get for using an experimental open source rendering engine that's aimed at CUDA-supported graphics card...when I don't have a CUDA-supported graphics card.

Ive got a CUDA GPU, but Cinema 4D doesnt use the GPU for rendering, so I have to reply on the CPU. Im running a 4 year old BOXX workstation with two Quad-Core CPU's (8-cores total) running at 4Ghz. It works well, but i'd still love to have a few render nodes to take the strain off of my main machine.
    :eek!: :notworthy:
    Beautiful shots! Can't wait to see more!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Nailed it.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    i'm drooling everywhere!!! LOL
    i'm really happy to see this new progresses! keep up the good work! =)
    Thanks guys! Heres an update.
    98586.jpg
  • ashleyb58ashleyb580 Posts: 0Member
    Is this still going? Or has it died? I really hope not, it looks like an amazing model. Please continue with it!
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    ashleyb58 wrote: »
    Is this still going? Or has it died? I really hope not, it looks like an amazing model. Please continue with it!

I know there's a stigma with reviving old threads, but I'm glad you did. Stargate is one of my all time faves, loved the Destiny...and this is absolutely freaking gorgeous. Great amount of detail; I love the work that has gone into this, here's to hoping it's still alive!
    This project has been put on hold for a while. Ive been tied up with work and other things, so I havent been able to get back to this. I would like to finish it soon though, because its nearly completed. When I get back to it, ill definitely post more updates here. :)
  • SawgittariusSawgittarius0 Posts: 0Member
    Atmospherity)
    After months of work and different things going on, ive had some time to sit down and work on Destiny again. I spent the last day working on the lighting... (which still isnt as good as I would like it to be). But I let my machine render overnight to spit out this 25 sec animation.

Total render time was 4 hours.
    :eek!:
    That is the Shiznit right there, cracking work. Though I'm curious why you didn't choose to light up the drive matrix at the rear of the vessel. Other than that this looks great, the lighting etc looks spot on.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    That is the Shiznit right there, cracking work. Though I'm curious why you didn't choose to light up the drive matrix at the rear of the vessel. Other than that this looks great, the lighting etc looks spot on.

I left the drive off because having it on would imply that the FTL drive is running, and I have yet to figure out how im going to create the FTL effect. I wish I had a way to talk to the VFX guys who worked on SGU to ask them about how that effect was created.
    Oh was that drive matrix only for the FTL and not for the sublight drives as well? I never noticed them off at sublight before, but has been a while since I watched the show.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Oh was that drive matrix only for the FTL and not for the sublight drives as well? I never noticed them off at sublight before, but has been a while since I watched the show.

I just went backed and watched a quick part from the show and indeed the rear drive is on, even if they are not using FTL. I guess I never noticed that before.
    Its been a long time since ive updated this, so I hope its ok to revive an old thread. I don't know if the old SGU crowd is still here, but I figured I would post some of these renders to share.

Ive been working on the Destiny again, as its nearly completed, as far as modeling. These renders were done with Vray, rather than using the default C4D engine. Just ignore the shaders/textures. They are only temporary. Im mainly just experimenting with lighting right now.

Im hoping to produce some animations with this, as ive got a nice 20-core/40-thread render unit sitting off to the side, to help assist with rendering.

More to come later!
    108656.jpg108657.jpg108658.jpg108659.jpg
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Very nice!
    A blast from the past to be sure!
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    mikala wrote: »
    Very nice!
    A blast from the past to be sure!

Oui...I HATED this show but I think I liked the ship.
    Somethings are all about presentation.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is very, very nice!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Oui...I HATED this show but I think I liked the ship.
    Somethings are all about presentation.
    the premise wasn't bad, but i really couldn't get into it. I watched a few episodes, but i gave up after an unenthusiastic first season. maybe i should get back into Doctor Who...
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    the premise wasn't bad, but i really couldn't get into it. I watched a few episodes, but i gave up after an unenthusiastic first season. maybe i should get back into Doctor Who...

Poor execution, bad writing..much like Enterprise.
    I've watched the New Doctor all last year ...it was interesting but I haven't gone back to it yet.

I think the ship had potential...but with shields even at minimum power capable of skimming start why would any of these enemy ships ever be a problem? Stars put out yotta watts of power at that range. Atlantis would have come after Destiny which is 50 million years old. Atlantis should have been able to sit on the surface of star and continually refuel and never have problem with being attacked.