Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBack to the Future 2015

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks pretty accurate except for the 2nd story window height issue you mentioned. But that's an easy fix. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking really great!
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Cafe '80s sign is basically done (although I have yet to add the reversed text on the backside). There wasn't a lot of high res reference material for the sign, but I got it about as close as I could based on what I had.
    97829.jpg97830.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    An entire movie set! Nice job.
    Great work on the sign. :thumb:
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    BlobVanDam: I'm going to be taking my German aunt & second cousin to Universal Studios in about a week... I think the Clock Tower Square area is still on the tour, so if there are any specific areas you want me to photograph for you, send me a PM and let me know, because I'll be taking my camera with me. IDK how much of a photo-op I'll have, but I figured just in case, I'd make the offer. Let me know if I can help.
    BlobVanDam: I'm going to be taking my German aunt & second cousin to Universal Studios in about a week... I think the Clock Tower Square area is still on the tour, so if there are any specific areas you want me to photograph for you, send me a PM and let me know, because I'll be taking my camera with me. IDK how much of a photo-op I'll have, but I figured just in case, I'd make the offer. Let me know if I can help.

Wow, thank you so much for the offer.
    I'll look into what parts of Courthouse Square are still relevant to the BTTF set (obviously the courthouse, maybe the Holomax, not sure what else is still standing), and PM you with some details. Even if you're unable to get anything, I very much appreciate the thought!

I've been busy working on the Cafe '80s and am now working my way across to the alleyway where the Delorean lands, and then eventually to the Texaco building. This will be the first (and perhaps only) building that I'm creating without any blueprints at all (as I don't have any blueprints for this block, and the blueprints I do have are only for the 1955 counterparts anyway, which is an entirely different building), so it's slow work to derive some measurements. Most of this section has been built from counting bricks, and comparing relative lengths, but it's turning out pretty good so far.
    97908.jpg97909.jpg97910.jpg
    ^

No problem. Updates look great... I might have some refs for you on the Texaco building... I'll need to search my CD's to find them.
    If you have any reference, that would be great. The only material I have for the Texaco building is screenshots, and a handful of average res set photos, and often all it takes is one good shot to help everything else fall into place.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    It looks like the curb next to the Texaco doesn't come to an abrupt corner like you've got it. Maybe it's clearer in a different screen shot, but I'd say it should have a radius to it. Excellent work so far! :thumb:
    Juvat wrote: »
    It looks like the curb next to the Texaco doesn't come to an abrupt corner like you've got it. Maybe it's clearer in a different screen shot, but I'd say it should have a radius to it. Excellent work so far! :thumb:

Yep, you're right. I haven't added the corner yet, because it protrudes further than the curb on the other block, and I haven't found a clear enough reference photo to place it accurately, or judge the exact curve radius yet, so I've left it for now.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. I haven't added the corner yet, because it protrudes further than the curb on the other block, and I haven't found a clear enough reference photo to place it accurately, or judge the exact curve radius yet, so I've left it for now.

I'm sure no one is going to flay your skin off if it's slightly off. After all, if there's no clear reference shot, no one else can judge!
    It's looking great. :D
  • usfgeekusfgeek0 Posts: 0Member
    Alright mate, I put an album together for you that might come in handy http://imgur.com/a/zr4pR#11

I was going to model the 1955 and 2015 versions myself but got only 70% of the way through the 1955 version of the set and kinda got bored of it. I'll maybe come back to it one day. But anyway, I have a large collection of reference and i've uploaded the 2015 half for you. I ripped these from the blu-ray and haven't seen them anywhere on the net yet.

If theres a specific building you need help with, I'll upload some of the 1955 set since the buildings are exactly the same in shape, just dressed up slightly.

Also if you're interested In BTTF i modeled the Time train not too long ago...

train_hi2fog.jpg

Good luck, i'll be watching this thread!
    Thanks a bunch, usfgeek! I only have the DVD, so these are clearer than I've got (the screenshot of the Texaco Ferrari has already cleared up a major issue I was having working on it today from DVD screenshots), and some of the other pics I've found on the net, but at lower res.

If you've taken any screenshots of the Clock Tower from BTTF1, I'd love to get those too, as part 1 has the best reference for it, especially near the end when Doc is standing on the ledge next to the clock.
    I'm currently working on the Texaco building, which unfortunately is about the only building that isn't at all based on its 1955 counterpart!

GREAT looking train too! :thumb:
    Yeah, the Texaco got a bit of an upgrade. ;) (landing pad, ramps and robot gas pumps)

Awesome work on the train, usfgeek. :thumb:
  • usfgeekusfgeek0 Posts: 0Member
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch, usfgeek! I only have the DVD, so these are clearer than I've got (the screenshot of the Texaco Ferrari has already cleared up a major issue I was having working on it today from DVD screenshots), and some of the other pics I've found on the net, but at lower res.

If you've taken any screenshots of the Clock Tower from BTTF1, I'd love to get those too, as part 1 has the best reference for it, especially near the end when Doc is standing on the ledge next to the clock.
    I'm currently working on the Texaco building, which unfortunately is about the only building that isn't at all based on its 1955 counterpart!

GREAT looking train too! :thumb:

No worries mate, yeah sure he's the album of screenshots which i found helpful when modelling it myself - http://imgur.com/a/s3pVJ#0
    I saw this photo in a photostream... I can't remember exactly which scene it's from, or where in the Courthouse Square the building is located. Can anyone identify it?

230744_226185834065541_3257525_n.jpg
    That's just opposite the Cafe '80s. If the camera were to pan left about 45 degrees, you would be looking at the corner entrance to the Cafe '80s. And if you turned about 135 clockwise, you would be looking at the Courthouse.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Yeah, that part is right across the street from the not-on-camera side of the cafe. I think it's also the street Marty comes into 1955 Hill Valley in the first movie from. The walkway on top should lead to the holographic "Cubs Win World Series" billboard.
    Oohhh... that's right... this is where the big holo-commercial for the Goldie Wilson Hoverconversions is played... now I got it. Thanks!
    I would love to know what the view from that balcony is.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Been awhile since I looking in on this thread.
    But your work is looking Sweet!
  • cazman101cazman1010 Posts: 0Member
    I'm enjoying seeing the work on this project come together it really is great work.
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Man, this thread is full of childhood memories. The BTTF films will always have a special place in my heart.

That said.... 3 years till hover boards and flying cars everyone!

Also, great work so far on this! The actual sets burned down in the great lot fire a couple of years ago. So I think this is the best way to recreate them :)
    I've had too many other projects going right now, so I haven't done much work on this lately, but it's still very much alive!

Here's today's progress. I started a new building, and it's coming along pretty easily so far. Still some discrepancies to sort out, but it's been one of the easier buildings so far.
    100324.jpg100325.jpg
    Nice start. I don't know if I've ever paid attention to that building when I've watched the film.
    It's actually not featured that prominently in the 2015 scenes. You see it for a few seconds in the distance during the hoverboard chase in the background, and that's about it. In 1985 it's of course the XXX movie theater that Marty crashes the Delorean into when coming back from 1955 at the end of part 1.

It's about 100-150ft down the road from the courthouse, so it's not one of the important buildings, but I'm still putting as much care and detail into it as any other building. I'd love to have the entire town modeled in the same level of detail and accuracy, so you could walk around the virtual set and have it feel like a real place (and I do intend to try and turn it into a playable walk-through once it's done).
    I was trying to think of what that was-- it was the XXX theater-- actually, I think the theater wound up being used as a church, didn't it? (Huh, Marty's driven into theaters twice, that one in the first flick and the drive-in in the third one).

If it was all the way back past everything else, I can see why the sign is as big as it is... fill up all that space. I'll definitely be looking for that one next time I watch the movies (I'm overdue).

I suppose the next level of this would be being able to go down underneath the pond for the underground shops-- maybe there's a window into the pond and you can see a sunken hoverboard or something.
    I've been rebuilding the entire Cafe '80s the past few days. No point showing renders of that, since it will look no different to anybody but me. :lol: But just trust that it's now pretty dang accurate!

Here's progress on the interior. I didn't have blueprints for the counter, so this was entirely by eye, but I'm confident it's about as accurate as I can get it. This is the spot where Marty McFly asks for a Pepsi.
    100405.jpg100406.jpg