Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Diaspora- BSG Freeware Project Looking for Modelers

AceAce0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2012 in Looking for... #1
Diaspora Release 1: Shattered Armistice is now public.

We are, however, looking for prospective artists who would be willing to model ships from both the original and new Battlestar Galactica.

The art assets we are requiring are rather high quality and the types of modelers we need are individuals who can model, texture, and UV map. For prospective artists we're looking for people who would be willing to make some canon ships.

Some of the assets we're hoping people interested in joining the project would work on includes:

Viper MK1 (Original series)- accurate to the original show but with NATO warning labels added to texture (i.e. engine intake labels, ejection labels, etc.)

Viper MK1 cockpit- The MK1 would also require a cockpit model that we could add Render to texture displays to. This should be more or less accurate to the original Battlestar Galactica but some artistic license to make it fit more with the Viper MK2 from the 2003 series is welcome.

Cylon Raider MK1 (Original series)

A-B Raider (Galactica 1980)

Cylon Tanker (Original series, same design seen in season 1)

Cylon Basestar MK1 (Original series)

Guardian Basestar (BSG Razor)

If you're noticing a recurring theme, many of the assets are things we want for a first war campaign...
93425.jpg
Post edited by Ace on

• AceAce0 Posts: 0Member
    I know bumping isn't kosher, but this post I was going to delete followed by making a new post after R1 went public.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Is the request list still current? Also, what poly counts and texture map types/sizes are required? I'm trying to get myself back into modelling again so I can certainly have a stab at getting something done for you.
    Made a start on the Cylon Tanker last night just to show that I am prepared to put the work in... This is about 3 hours in as my workflow is a little rusty at the moment... Please let me know if I should keep going and what specs to use :)

render_001.jpg

render_002.jpg
  • JesshannJesshann0 Posts: 0Member
    You can find most of these things on foundation3d in the BSG section. All of the models are free, the only issue you might have is getting the guys who made the models to help put them into games :P
    Jesshann wrote: »
    You can find most of these things on foundation3d in the BSG section. All of the models are free, the only issue you might have is getting the guys who made the models to help put them into games :P

There is usually a big difference between a model that is made specifically for a game engine and a model that was made for kicks. Most of the models on foundation3d most likely wouldn't be suitable without a lot of work and the best use for them, if they are accurate enough, would be for baking details onto a game-engine-ready model

Edit: Was going to post an update too but I've just found some much better references so I might start again to make it more authentic
  • AceAce0 Posts: 0Member
    Unfortunately we really can't just use other people's models since there are very specific things we need when it comes to polygon counts, UV space, and submodels.

spudmonkey, would you be willing to post these in the Diaspora Hard-Light boards?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=175.0

newman, who does art direction can give specifics on polygon counts, etc.

The tanker is definitely a model we could use since it is from the first and second wars. It also is unarmed and so should be simple to convert.
    I'll sign up when I get the chance and drop Newman a note. Cheers mate :)