Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBack to the Future 2015

BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Here's a little something I've wanted to start for a while now as one a personal project. The plan is to recreate the entire 2015 set from Back to the Future 2, one of my favourite movie scenes of all time, and to hopefully recreate it as accurately as possible.

So far I've got a pretty good start on the courthouse, and the movie theater where Jaws pops out, and a bit of the Cafe '80s (not pictured because I started that a while back and might end up entirely rebuilding it anyway)

Here's a comparison between my model so far of the movie theater, and a set photo-
jaws_comparison4.jpg

Hopefully more to come soon!
101044.jpg
Post edited by BlobVanDam on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great start and a great idea. I love those movies, so I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. :D
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    you're going to do the holo-shark, right?;)
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    What an awesome project! I don't think anyone has attempted this before.

A guy I work with was just telling me today that he never saw the Back to the Future movies. I couldn't believe it! I consider those films a key part of cinema history, and great fun to watch as well! I personally loved part 2 the best.

That is a great start. You matched that photo extremely well. I circled a few details just in case you didn't see (like the bevel and extrusions), although I know you are not done with that part yet (just in case).

I will definitely be following this thread!

JMoney

Edit: I added the attachment
    96969.jpg
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    you're going to do the holo-shark, right?;)

It just wouldn't be complete without the fake looking shark (complete with no anti-aliasing on the texture). :lol:

JMoney wrote: »
    What an awesome project! I don't think anyone has attempted this before.

A guy I work with was just telling me today that he never saw the Back to the Future movies. I couldn't believe it! I consider those films a key part of cinema history, and great fun to watch as well! I personally loved part 2 the best.

That is a great start. You matched that photo extremely well. I circled a few details just in case you didn't see (like the bevel and extrusions), although I know you are not done with that part yet (just in case).

I will definitely be following this thread!

JMoney

Edit: I added the attachment

Thanks. I am aware of the those, I just hadn't gotten to them yet. I try to get the general shapes right before filling in details, otherwise I end up redoing details several times.
    But don't let that stop you from continuing to point out stuff like that in future. I am going for accuracy, after all. :thumb:
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    I'm impressed with how well you've captured the proportions of that building. Speaking as somebody who has had to do a great deal of that: Nicely done!
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    It just wouldn't be complete without the fake looking shark (complete with no anti-aliasing on the texture). :lol:

Haha! Hey, maybe the industry hits a throwback, anti-HD phase within the next three years. :P

This project is so dope; Kudos for thinking out of the box with this one. I'm interested in seeing how you sculpt the statue over on the left side of the "Holomax" logo.

Great work, though. I'll definitely be watching this one! :D
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Two words, repeated three times:

Hell, yes!

Hell, yes!

and Hell, yes!

I will keep a close eye on this, for BTTF II is one of my favorite films.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Very cool!!
    Are you sure, you wanna do the whole set?? :D
    It will be a pleasure to watch you go insane ;)
    ryo80 wrote: »
    Haha! Hey, maybe the industry hits a throwback, anti-HD phase within the next three years. :P

This project is so dope; Kudos for thinking out of the box with this one. I'm interested in seeing how you sculpt the statue over on the left side of the "Holomax" logo.

Great work, though. I'll definitely be watching this one! :D

I'll finish the rest of the building before I attempt the sculpture bit. It's probably one of the most organic shapes I'll have to model, at least for the architecture. I'm having a bit of trouble finding much good reference material for this building too. I have some, but not a lot (excluding the movie itself of course).

Chanur wrote: »
    Very cool!!
    Are you sure, you wanna do the whole set?? :D
    It will be a pleasure to watch you go insane ;)

If you can think of a better way to go insane, I'd like to hear it. :p
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    If you can think of a better way to go insane, I'd like to hear it. :p

Nono, just go on with this way, for you might remember Syboks words:
    "Everyone hides a secret insanity - share your insanity and gain a great mesh from it" :D
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    Cool! will keep an eye on this project. :thumb:

I just had a thought. have there been large projects similer to this but with forum members able to contribute therefore spreading the fun and reducing the workload?
    Im not suggesting it, just wondered if something like that existed on the interweb. :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    great project
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    haha, cool, looking forward to this one :)
    Progress has been pretty slow on the top section. I don't have an awful lot of reference for this building, and I'm having trouble getting my mesh to correspond with them all, so I've restarted it at least a few times. I may have been basing my guesstimated measurements on some faulty assumptions, so it's been a slow process of trial and error, emphasis on the error part. :p But I want this to perfectly match the real thing down to every line and angle.

I've attached the latest anyway, just so people can see where I'm at.
    97067.jpg
    Great stuff. I applaud you for doing this based on what few references there are. I'd imagine there are probably just screenshots and (maybe) a few production stills of the lot they used for the movie.
    Great stuff. I applaud you for doing this based on what few references there are. I'd imagine there are probably just screenshots and (maybe) a few production stills of the lot they used for the movie.

There are good blueprints for the backlot that are easy to find on the internet, although they only cover the 1955 era buildings and additions, so in this case that only covers the lower level, although they're not 100% accurate. But they'll get you much closer than you could ever get from scratch.

For the top level of the building, I have a few screencaps, and a few good photos from backlot tours back when the 2015 set was still standing in the late '80s / early '90s. They're mostly from the front-ish angle though you see in the movie, plus one side photo.
    I've been focusing on the little windowed bit on the left side, and focusing on the crown molding. It might not look like much, but that section is now quite screen accurate, so I'm happy with it. I'm still not happy with the accuracy of the roof section though.
    97171.jpg97172.jpg
    It looks great. Details are important. :D
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Now this is a project.
    I love the BTTF movies, like the others this is my favorite one.
    If this turns out great, you know your going to have to do the other four version of the town square. ;)
    Though 85 version and alt 85 version would be the quickest to do. just change textures to make the street rundown and add the hotel to the town hall. ;)
    Billynom8 wrote: »
    ...I just had a thought. have there been large projects similer to this but with forum members able to contribute therefore spreading the fun and reducing the workload?...

Yes a large project was attempted here a few years ago. We where planning to do a full 90min CGI animated movie.
    It was a very large project the script was written and going though a few re-writes. Given how large the project was, it was then decide to do a few shorts as a test to lead into the main film.

New script where written and we started to build some simple meshes that would appear in the back ground like guns and stolls.
    We where also working what the universe would look like and where also doing concept art for everything.
    Unfortuanlty RW stuff came up and people started to leave the project.

I still got most of the stuff from it and from time to time do a little work, but I doubt it will ever be finished. :(
    Only minor progress, as I've been working on a couple of other projects.

I've made a start on the Cafe '80s. I don't have good blueprints to use as a basis for this building like I do for most of the other buildings, but I think I've got it fairly accurate so far based on screenshots.
    97558.jpg97559.jpg97560.jpg97561.jpg
    The cafe looks great so far. So does the courthouse. :thumb:
    Thanks, evil_genius_180. You always seem to be the quickest to reply. :D

I've basically finished the front doors now. Now that I've got the hand rails on, I'm quite happy with the accuracy of it so far.
    97569.jpg
    This just keeps getting awesomer and awesomer.
    They look very accurate to me. :)
    Thanks, evil_genius_180. You always seem to be the quickest to reply. :D

Not really, I just happened to be online at the time you posted. ;)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great, should certainly prove to be an interesting and original build this one.
    Front doorway basically done, and all of the edging stuff is done too. I've started working on the second level now. The window placements have been spaced as accurately as possible based on brick sizes. Window frames will be the next thing to go in.
    Very happy with this building so far.
    97622.jpg
    Nice progress.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    im amazed they havent made a remake of the movies yet
    colbmista wrote: »
    im amazed they havent made a remake of the movies yet

I sincerely hope they never do. The originals were simply perfect, and I don't need today's Hollywood desecrating the franchise.
    Top level windows and crown molding done. Here are a couple of comparison pics.
    First one is a gif that toggles between photo and render. Keep in mind that the first pic is the same building, but not from BTTF, and it's a variant on the 1955 style cafe, not the 2015 version, but it's still the same building on the backlot.
    I think I might need to raise the window heights on the second level, but the lower level is pretty accurate at the moment.
    97634.jpg97635.gif