Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSCSS Nostromo

mrysmrys172 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
As I wrote in my Narcissus thread those model is only a "warming" before main work - model of USCSS Nostromo. Narcissus is in texturing phase now, but I'll decided to start paralel work on model of its carrier :) So here it is first shoot - not much to see so far, but it is rather general geometry set up stage.
Nostromo_small.jpg

As always most actual info you can find here
97395.jpg
Post edited by mrys on
Tagged:

• CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Your narcissus is excellent, I have high hopes you will carry this off to the same high standard. looks good so far.

You should show some of the original model builders this, the guy who designed and built narcissus (cobbs concepts were really more of a starting point) and others who worked on Nostromo are still around. Have you seen Dennis Lowe's fantastic website and his interviews with the team who worked on the effects shots?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    ^ Yeah, all of that. :)
  • mrysmrys172 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Your narcissus is excellent, I have high hopes you will carry this off to the same high standard. looks good so far.

You should show some of the original model builders this, the guy who designed and built narcissus (cobbs concepts were really more of a starting point) and others who worked on Nostromo are still around. Have you seen Dennis Lowe's fantastic website and his interviews with the team who worked on the effects shots?

Thanks for kind word about Narcissus :) I'am in love with Nostromo since I remember (I bought VHS copy of Alien before I got VHS player :D. And it was with german dubbing :) ) and since I have Internet I was looking for any info about film, filmmakers, Nostromo etc. What I want to do is model more accurate then any one I saw (except real one of course :) ). Details should be on similar level then in Narcissus, but I'am not sure if it will be possible - Nostromo is more then 10 times bigger craft...

PS
    I remember also premiere of Alien II in Katowice City and standing ovation for Ripley, during her fight with Alien mother :)
    John Eaves did a restoration of the Nostromo last year. I don't know if you saw the pics, but they're on his blog:

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/?s=nostromo
    the restoration project was amazing, and I think Dennis Lowe's site will be very useful and interesting to you. I wrote a small article about it here: http://coolhandgraphics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/alien-makers-more-dennis-lowes-website.html after talking to him over email a couple of times, real nice guy... He even sent me scans of the planet surface texture that was actually used for the surface of LV-426! The texture can be seen in the blog.

BTW, Martin Bower was apparently responsible for at least the whole front end design of Narcissus, he's featured from 0:33:20 in the first alien makers video. Here's a link to his site http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/index.html the video is 3rd from the bottom of the page. lots of other awesome stuff on Dennis' site. Anyone specifically interested in learning about the effects of Alien will learn more there than anywhere else.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    cool

I too would suggest the john eaves blog, he had some fantastic references there a while ago
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Great Start!

You might also want to check this thread out at Propsummit:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1522

Some really great stuff there from some really dedicated individuals

I am in the process of putting a Nostromo together myself and got some really good references from there.

Attached is some fun I'm having with the one I've started.
    97365.jpg97366.jpg
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thanks for a links! I knew many of them and agree, that some stunning stuff is there. Unfortunatelly I had a problem with Alien Maker part III film - it seems to dissapear from link on Dennis Lowe's page :(

Some updates - nacelles and some details for a start. More images here

Nostromo_001_small.jpg

Nostromo_002_small.jpg
    97395.jpg
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    looks like a good start - though maybe some of the joints between the various ducts and intakes may be a bit too soft and rounded. You certainly have your work cut out - the Nostromo is probably the most detailed, heavily greebled sci fi vessel ever.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    You're a brave man! Terrific work so far.
    mrys wrote: »
    Thanks for a links! I knew many of them and agree, that some stunning stuff is there. Unfortunatelly I had a problem with Alien Maker part III film - it seems to dissapear from link on Dennis Lowe's page :(

There's some bizarre copyright issue - seems entirely unjustified to me, you can find that part quite easily through other means though. like google it, really easy to find, its on youtube etc.

worth watching because its the part about Giger.

looks like its progressing well, keep up the good work!
    It's looking fantastic so far. :thumb:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Any thought to doing the snark concept?
    publiusr wrote: »
    Any thought to doing the snark concept?
    Who knows, maybe...;)?

Small update. Breaking geometry set up stage for a while I modeled one, small part as much detailed as I wish to detail whole model.
    Nostromo_009_small.jpg

Nostromo_011_small.jpg

more: here
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Beautiful work once again.

Al
    Some updates of yesterday's stuff and some new addon.
    Nostromo_012_small.jpg

Nostromo_013_small.jpg
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Simply wicked detailing!
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, clean modeling. She's a daunting subject, to be sure, but it looks like you're going to carry it off excellently.
    1/1000 of details finished :D
    Nostromo_015_small.jpg

Nostromo_014_small.jpg

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Brave and TALENTED Man!
    Slow weekend progress...
    Nostromo_017_small.jpg

Nostromo_016_small.jpg

• mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Slow is still progress.
    This thing is going to be amazing once done.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    teesha yeddish, dalsha boodish
    Small landing gear cinematic test.
    Nostromo_018_small.jpg

And from last moment - animation
    [video=vimeo;49305766]
    Improved version of landing gears. Shock absorbers are working now.
    Nostromo_019_small.jpg

[video=vimeo;49415461]
    I just wanna see it squishing a few boulders into the regolith;) Looks great and nice to see it in motion, but the machinery looks too clean for the workhorse of the galaxy, do you have a plan for approaching the texturing?
    Oh, of course whole Nostromo will be textured, but it is to early to do this. Probably this leg will be textured very soon, cause I have an idea for small animation...
    Nice work, that looks great so far. I loved the animation. :D
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Looks great. To give a sense of scale to the animation, it animate at a slower pace and bounce more slowly and smoothly.

Really liking this and the Narcisuss projects.

Al
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Looks great so far. Will you be including hydraulic lines?