Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Turbosquid is selling my Churhill

AnarionAnarion338 Posts: 50Member
edited September 2012 in General Discussion #1
Turbosquid is selling my Churchill for 10 bucks. I'm not sure who would buy it, because I gave out for free.
But I am pissed.

Anarion.
Post edited by Anarion on

• count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Contact them and issue a demand for removal along with proof. People put stuff up on turbosquid all the time that they don't own. It's got a very bad rep around here.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • CoolhandCoolhand286 Mountain LairPosts: 1,295Member
    You build a lovely model, you out of the goodness of your heart release it for nothing, thinking its a wonderful thing and nothing bad will happen...

Next thing you know one or all of the following possibilities may occur:

Its being sold online,
    Someone in China is using it to drive a CNC mill and building crap wooden models from it (that would no doubt dissolve in a moderate fog),
    Someone is building a resin kit out of it and selling it
    George Lucas has eaten it (The big fat git, honestly his company has ripped off or threatened to legal action to SFM members at least 3 times - I'm amazed anyone still likes his ****ty movies or still builds copies of the models.)
    Its being used in a game,
    Someone else is redistributing it as their own
    Someone else is making images with it and telling people they made it themselves.

i'm all about lists today....

Anyway, sound familiar? If you've ever released a mesh here or elsewhere it may do, and it will either cost you time and / or money or pride... Unless you decide you don't care and like, whatever. If you're not prepared to take that risk don't do it... You could release a model once and find you're periodically having to deal with these things potentially for as long as you give a crap about it.

All we can guarantee at SFM is that if the offender shows up here, and you prove its your model etc, we will ban the fool, forever... which is far more than you can expect off many sites *cough*deviantart*splutter/pukes*

Otherwise we can only offer you our support i'm sure, and a shoulder to cry on, you have my sympathies, I personally released a few models, one that i released in 2002 has been ripped off many times and just last month i had to deal with another situation with that exact model, nearly 10 years after release. It can eat into your time.
  • chronoss2008chronoss20080 Posts: 0Member
    if you release something freely and someone makes a buck from it....well that's tough ....the idea here is that if you give it out free and clear of all rights you don't have a right to whine about it neither....i have made many images and lucas even used some of my stuff in clone wars ...oh well at least i'll say he has taste....but the goal of myself and others is to make it so there is enough free stuff about that the animations we see in other areas here become more and more NOT less cause your whining about something you gave out freely.

HOWEVER if say i say "ok its free and royalty free to use as long as you leave me a credit" and you run off make a buck and don't leave me a credit you have legal case there....the case in point is any models i use that are others there will be credit given ....especially in the learning phase....
    I've done some odd stuff with characters myself and gave em TOTALLY free out there....i want you and everyone to use it and if hollywood big wigs are using free stuff to make the cg with then what is the cost to make the movie/tv ep then? WELL its a lot less and they should be charging a lot less then ...it leads a stronger argument for that.
    my 2 cents ....from 30 years a programming and computers graphics all way back to a commodore vic 20 ROFL.....
  • AnarionAnarion338 Posts: 50Member
    I did release it on the condition that no one alter it without my permission or use it for commercial gain. I also stated that credit must be given to me for the design.

I also gave credit to all those involved in Star Trek that I knew of Andrew Probert etc.

That is why I never felt comfortable with the idea of selling it myself.

To chronoss2008: I'm not whining. Reading your post I think you feel the same way but perhaps it has happened to you so many times that you do not care anymore.

BTW....I started modelling with Turbo Silver on the Amiga and then Imagine before I used Max.

I was one of the original members of Sci-fi Art with Pedro and Tachy.
    I have contacted Turbo Squid and they are investigating the situation. I sent them a copy of my ship for comparison. If the person in question used my blueprints and built another Churchill from scratch...I do not have a problem with that. But I expect credit for the design. Hell, he even used one of my orthographic views for the download thumbnail. So what does that tell you?
    I do not blame Sci-fi Meshes in any way. Just to be clear.

My brother, who passed away in 2006, was very proud of my Churchill Model. He forbade me from releasing it on the internet for this reason. I eventually did because others were kindly giving their work to the community and I decided that I should as well. So you see this is very personal for me. My brother would be extreamly upset that someone is selling it online.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Just an FYI, don't listen to chronos. While the model was released online, it's protected under various copyright regulations that prohibit sale or reproduction without the creator's consent. However, this does become somewhat iffy in regards to tradmarked and copyrighted designs (any "canon" ship ever made for trek or wars, for instance, are trademarked by the official owners of the IP), but if it's a derivitive work like your churchill model and were the creator, you have the right to pull work and seek some recompence in regard to theft no different then any other case.

Having said that, since it is a derivitive, you are limited in what you can get back, generally the best you can hope for would simply be an apology and removal of your content from a 3rd party site. For your future model releases though, you should add a creative commons (google it) license note to each file in a readme for a derivative work/original design, it'll help these kind of claims in the future immensly.

A few of the old salts here have been in this situation, so they can give you more info if necessary, for the life of me I can't remember who exactly though, heh.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This sucks. I hope you can at least get them to take it down.
    if you release something freely and someone makes a buck from it....well that's tough ....the idea here is that if you give it out free and clear of all rights you don't have a right to whine about it neither....i have made many images and lucas even used some of my stuff in clone wars ...oh well at least i'll say he has taste....but the goal of myself and others is to make it so there is enough free stuff about that the animations we see in other areas here become more and more NOT less cause your whining about something you gave out freely.

Nope, wrong. Completely wrong. There are copyright laws set up to protect artists against just this type of thievery. Look it up. This model was an original work of art and it is copyrighted by nature of its existence. Technically, even if it had been an Enterprise model, it would have been copyrighted also. Though, as Nadeisco said, there are issues with "derivative" works, but they're still protected. And, as this is an original design and is only "Trek" in name, it makes for an even stronger case.

As for "Lucas did this" or "Lucas did that." Firstly, Lucas doesn't do anything. His peons do stuff and he collects money. I doubt he's very "hands on" about anything with The Clone Wars. (Executive Producer credits don't mean you're overseeing the day-to-day operation) They show him a design, model or animation, claim it's theirs, and he either signs off on it or doesn't. Secondly, Lucas' companies do stuff like this but it makes it no more legal than stealing someone's mesh and selling it as your own. Your work they used was copyrighted. However, many of Lucas' peons simply don't care and take that "we're licensed, so it's ours anyway" attitude, even though they're completely wrong.
    Turbo squid has taken my ship from it's site after I showed them my model. They apologized and did it in a timely manner.

Qapla!!!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Qapla' indeed....

Sad that so many bad things happen. :/