Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3ds max align/autogrid help

vnm51vnm51173 Posts: 0Member
Greets all,

I've got a problem with the normal align and autogrid functions namely I cannot make two objects perpendicular.
I used autosmooth on the model couple of times and I don't know whether it affects these functions or not. I cleared the autosmooth function but didn't work. The side I want align the new object to is pretty sure plain (vertex, edges were checked).
If I make two new objects like a cylinder with 6 sides and a box with angled on a side, both functions work perfectly in the same file.
I used to work in gmax but now I'm working in 3ds max so I'm quite a beginner and I may missed something.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,
vnm51
97198.jpg
Post edited by vnm51 on
Tagged:

• CoolhandCoolhand286 Mountain LairPosts: 1,295Member
    make sure the target object has no non-uniform scaling applied to it. so the scale factor of each axis of the target object should have the same value.
  • vnm51vnm51173 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    make sure the target object has no non-uniform scaling applied to it. so the scale factor of each axis of the target object should have the same value.

Unfortunately that's what I exactly did. I made a test with two new objects resizing them by using the non-uniform scale and got the same result I posted above.
    I can solve it but that means four more steps and I want to avoid that if possible.

Is there any way to fix this? Using uniform scale on both objects after resizing by non-uniform scale doesn't help.
    You're misunderstanding me, OK so it sounds like you have been using non-uniform scale at the object level. what you need to do is to reset the scale transform so each axis shows the same, there are numerous ways of doing this but a good peice of advice would be to not use that transform at that level to begin with, unless you really know what you're doing it will cause many problems for you and you might not even realise it, really the object would need to be reset every time if you use non uniform scale at object level.
    No, I didn't misunderstand you, I just never used align and autogrid before and didn't know that connection with the scaling type. As you mentioned the scale transform I tried the reset xform and it solved the problem.

Thanks bud.

By the way, amazing gallery.
    I'm glad you brought the issue up, I can't stress enough to any readers of this post how bad an idea that non uniform scaling (or even uniform) at the object level is. Because its a mistake often made and a fundamental thats often misunderstood, leading to people always wondering what caused that crash, why panel lines in one direction are thicker than in another, why bevels and extrudes appear more magnified in some directions, or why child objects of the scaled object start exhibiting strange behaviour. beware of resetting the xform too, if you have to use it, always save beforehand.

anyway, np, well as long as you don't use the scale at that level you will have a much easier time, I call it object level, but i think the proper term is nodal level... There are many better ways to scale objects, either with modifiers or at sub-object level.

ps, if you think the gallery work is good you should see what is to come;) keep up to date with my work at my blog.

-Steve.
    "ps, if you think the gallery work is good you should see what is to come keep up to date with my work at my blog. "

I'm on it!

I've got a question though: You've got high detailed models and when you make the panels, ribs, pipes and other objects they are parts of the main model by using compound objects like boolean or separated items?
    For building a greebly spaceship, you should only boolean if you need to make a hole in something, or lots of holes and even then there might be better ways. Try and model in ways so you don't need to do it, booleans generate terrible cleanup jobs, typically.

otherwise its fine to keep piling stuff on, but remember to remove hidden faces and details, so your model would be a collection of open meshes.

Infact if you were to boolean everything together you would have:
    a, a massive clean up job,
    B, lots of crashes (particularly if your **** is scaled all weird)
    c, a project that take weeks instead of days.
    4, a ship with more triangles - and thus render slower
    q, a massively slowed down modeller - most modellers are better at dealing with many smaller parts than one massive single part.
    K, a ship that renders slower (for the same reason as q and 4)
    Aï¿¡, a heck of a time UVing

I know because i've produced many printable models, production ready prototypes, which have to be single contiguous surfaces or enclosed volumes, my advice, do not do this;)
    Exactly. I've been modding Freelancer for 3 years and it well... not demands but likes getting model in only one part. The only way I knew in that time was to use boolean to get models in a whole what meant several hours of correcting mistakes caused by boolean and other compound objects, and of course lot of headaches.
    I was just curious if other modellers use or other programs require this boolean nightmare.

Well, thanks for the heads up.