Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Hi there!

You know, it's been 6 months since the big forum migration, so we'd really appreciate it, if you could take a moment to let us know how we're doing in our occasional feedback thread. :)

VCP Element 3D...

Chris2005Chris2005336 Posts: 2,815Member
edited August 2012 in General Discussion #1
Have you guys/gals seen this AE plugin, VCP is due to release tomorrow? O_O

Andrew Kramer made a video or 2 about it so far, but here is the animating one:
Post edited by Chris2005 on

Posts

  • IRMLIRML176 Posts: 0Member
    hate seeing 3D in after effects tbh, it's a post app
  • Chris2005Chris2005336 Posts: 2,815Member
    IRML wrote: »
    hate seeing 3D in after effects tbh, it's a post app

    I actually love this, considering the speed of it, and the complexity of the stuff it can do, it would take my computer ages to do in a 3D application...
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    the aim for this is cheap comercial spots. it will take a lot less machine time using after.
  • Chris2005Chris2005336 Posts: 2,815Member
    L2K wrote: »
    the aim for this is cheap comercial spots. it will take a lot less machine time using after.

    I say it's capable of a lot more than just commercials...

    https://www.videocopilot.net/products/element/
  • IRMLIRML176 Posts: 0Member
    have you looked at the render options? after effects lights, so no shadows I assume, screen space occlusion, and reflection maps but no raytracing - it's very basic
  • Chris2005Chris2005336 Posts: 2,815Member
    IRML wrote: »
    have you looked at the render options? after effects lights, so no shadows I assume, screen space occlusion, and reflection maps but no raytracing - it's very basic

    Here is a shot... looks like it's capable of shadows...

    http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Choppa_Get_In_wb.mov

    As for SSAO... not sure what that is exactly, even after looking it up, but the plugin has real-time AO capability...

    As for reflections, I don't think it has real time environment reflections, just fake reflection mapping, which seems to work nicely in most cases...
  • IRMLIRML176 Posts: 0Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Here is a shot... looks like it's capable of shadows...

    http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Choppa_Get_In_wb.mov

    As for SSAO... not sure what that is exactly, even after looking it up, but the plugin has real-time AO capability...

    As for reflections, I don't think it has real time environment reflections, just fake reflection mapping, which seems to work nicely in most cases...
    don't be fooled by a black blob probably added separately, until I see a real shadow I'll be skeptical

    SSAO stands for screen space ambient occlusion, 'screen space' meaning it's done entirely as a post process with buffers, the depth buffer in this case - it's a fake effect basically used in games because it's fast, but it doesn't quite cut it for real graphics
  • Chris2005Chris2005336 Posts: 2,815Member
    IRML wrote: »
    don't be fooled by a black blob probably added separately, until I see a real shadow I'll be skeptical

    SSAO stands for screen space ambient occlusion, 'screen space' meaning it's done entirely as a post process with buffers, the depth buffer in this case - it's a fake effect basically used in games because it's fast, but it doesn't quite cut it for real graphics

    I understand what SSAO stood for, but I didn't quite get the effect itself... and Element 3D has AO, however, how it's applied I have no clue...

    Well, I can ask Andrew if it does real-time shadows...

    Update:

    Directly back from VCP:
    No, Element does not do real time shadows in this version, but it is something that is on our road map for the future! Yes AO is SSAO, and it is quite powerful and really helps push toward realistic renders. There is a technique where you can use a model of a flat plane or surface, and use what called a "matte shadow" material. This is so you would be able to place objects on to a surface and it would cast a AO where the model would meet the floor. Its not a shadow, but it provides shading where models are either close or hitting the floor.
  • Chris2005Chris2005336 Posts: 2,815Member

    Direct link if embed doesn't work:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0aADhVjE4
  • PreVizPreViz0 Posts: 0Member
    I bought Element the same day it came out and I'm just loving it :D
    As for lack of shadows... that's not an issue at all. You can fake basic shadows extremely easily in AE. Not to mention Andrew posted a long time ago a tutorial on how to add particle shadow for particular which works the same way in Element.
Sign In or Register to comment.