Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Terra Nova - Fall 2011

124»

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Not a bad ending. Although I'm still a little confused about why Shannon had to go to Hope Plaza. When a timer would have worked just as well.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Did they have a timer? It was originally a remote job that the one soldier modified. I'm sure she could have rigged one, but they were on a bit of a schedule. Also, somebody might have found it and deactivated it. Plus, it seemed to me there was a very specific place he put the bomb, some kind of fuel tube or something. If it hadn't been there, the whole place might not have gone up. (of course, the real reason was for drama ;))
    Viper wrote: »
    Well:
    Regarding Wash, I just thought it was really good writing. Yeah, it's a shame to see her go, but so far on the show, the stakes have been pretty low. Shannon got away with doing a bunch of wrongs in the future, his kid messed up a ton of times, and even Skye, although having good reasons to be the spy, still had nothing happen to her. Killing Wash made everything seem a bit more visceral IMO. Besides that, she never was a regular cast member. The only fixed cast are the Shannon family, Taylor and Skye.

BTW, the badlands thing was pretty cool. It's obviously a tie in with the bermuda triangle stories, but I thought it was a good use of real life legend to make the show a bit more close to home. They can make some really cool stuff if that's the direction they are taking for season 2.

Yeah, all of that. ;)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have to say that I enjoyed the last episode and hope it gets picked up for a second season.
  • gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    I think Shannon had dropped it down an exhaust vent for Hope Plaza, maybe he was hoping for a larger reaction.
    Yeah, I think he was going for a chain reaction. That's certainly what it looked like when it went off. Leaving it to chance might not have resulted in a chain reaction.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    He might also have dropped it down there to give him time to get back, and also prevent anyone from being able to get to it and disarm it before he left
    The graphic of the bomb blast shown earlier in the show, implied it would incinerate all the plant and animal life within the valley area. A space several KM wide and long.
    IE this is a big bomb.
    While Hope plaza is mostly metal and such the blast is still going to be big and deadly to anything in the building.

I know it was done to be more dramatic and add a little action and suspense to the end of the story, but for me it still felt a little contrived.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Well, unfortunately, it seems the show has been canceled. Just thought I'd drop a note in to let everyone know. Shame. Although the series had a pretty slow start, I thought it finished strongly and would've liked to have a second season to see what they could do with it.

Link to article on IGN: http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1220074p1.html
    I hate Fox. Every time I actually like a show on that stupid network, it gets canceled. Thanks for letting us know, Viper. I've been searching for news periodically (when I remembered) but I hadn't searched lately. It looks like it was the expense of making the show rather than the ratings that did it in. Unfortunately, this happens from time to time.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Yes. Fox I think is the least reliable network...maybe NBC can rival them. Anyway, they are trying to throw it a lifeline by shopping the concept to other networks, but that usually doesn't come to fruition, so it seems it's indeed the end of the line for Terra Nova.
    Yeah, they'll be lucky to sell it to another network. It's a good concept, but the budget will probably scare away most potential buyers. The CGI alone has to be expensive. Unfortunately, this happens to some shows with big time effects. They can't drop the kind of money they can on movies because it's an ongoing expense. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing what they would do for the 2nd season. Though, at least they were smart enough to not end the show on a cliffhanger. I hate it when shows end on a cliffhanger.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    A science fiction show that's connected to FOX. What did you expect???
    It was a great show, maybe Spielberg should do what his BFF does and cover some/ all the cost himself.
    But that won't happen.

We don't learn with FOX, any sci-fi show on that channel gets canned. We should just not watch anything new they bring out, as it will get cannciled!
    No the answer is to watch and enjoy it, while you have it, knowing that it won't last long.
    I hope they bring the series out on DVD soon. I would like to buy it and watch it again.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    No the answer is to watch and enjoy it, while you have it, knowing that it won't last long.

Your only saying that becasue there are no decent sci-fi shows on at the moment that are not repeats. (well in the UK)
    I don't think I have seen a new decent sci-fi show that has lastest more than 2 season in the last five plus years.

I miss the 90's there was loads of sci-fi show to chose from.
    season half of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Buffy, Angle, Farscape, B5, Stargate: SG-1, X-files (enjoyed that when it started but lost intrest around season 7) plus a number of other shows. Those where really good times.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    someone should change the title of this thread
    Terra Nova - Fall 2011 => Terra Nova - Fail 2011
    Freak wrote: »
    Your only saying that becasue there are no decent sci-fi shows on at the moment that are not repeats. (well in the UK)
    I don't think I have seen a new decent sci-fi show that has lastest more than 2 season in the last five plus years.

I miss the 90's there was loads of sci-fi show to chose from.
    season half of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Buffy, Angle, Farscape, B5, Stargate: SG-1, X-files (enjoyed that when it started but lost intrest around season 7) plus a number of other shows. Those where really good times.

No Freak. I'm saying because If I really wanted good original sci-fi I'd have to go back to the 70s. Lets face of the list you gave SG-1 and B5 are the only to original ideas. TNG and Voy are just Trek photocopies. DS9 was a Bab5 copy with a trek skin. Buffy was basally Scooby Doo, with real monsters. Angle was Forever Knight with more angst. Farscape was Blakes 7, and X files was the Night stalker. Not that those shows were crap, but they were hardly ground breaking.
    I leant a long time ago. That shows are not made for fans, they are not made for telling stories, they are not even really made to be viewed. They are made to make money. That's it end of story, there is no other reason. If a show doesn't make money fast enough the can it.
    All we can do as the viewing public is watch the stuff we like and not watch the crap.

PS. LOL at L2K's comment.
    I agree with what you just said about those shows.
    But they are the shows I grew up with and the 90’s were a great time for sci-fi. Such a wide choice of programs to watch, which is no longer the case.
    The only think we currently have to look forward too, that is granted not to be canned is Lucas Star Wars live action serises.
    We just have to wait for production cost to come down so he can start making it.

The problem I have with American TV studios is that they still use the Nelson Rating system that is way out dated.
    They updated it to include TIVO's (spelling.) but it still giving them realistic ratings for programs.
    It also does not take into account viewing numbers from overseas.
    Granted, the shows are made for American audience, but they also get sold overseas. A program my not do well in it home market, but could be doing very well in say the Europe market. It will still get canned because of the home market, even if the studio could still make a profit from the overseas. This is what pisses me off.
    Film studio can make films that flop in the US, but still make a large profit form the overseas market. Because of these films the studios have given to a green light to a sequel.
    So why can’t do the same thing for TV shows.
    As you said it all about making money. So why when are they still canning Show not making a profit for the home market, yet still make a profit for the overseas?
    It’s not just American studios that have this mentally but others as well.
    Sad truth is, you make loads more money from your local market sales, than you do from over seas market sales. Because locally you can sell your product several times, but overseas you are often selling to a distribute who will buy it from you one and sell it on to several locations. (Regardless of the country of origin.)
    Also in the case of TV a lot of the funds are raised by selling advertising space, and more importantly these days, Merchandise. These aspects both loose effectiveness when sent overseas. Because you lose the tax benefits of local production, or have increased shipping costs.
    Networks in some countries like here are also legally bound to screen a certain % of local content. So regardless of the overseas market they need the show to do we locally.
    It's coming out on DVD on Sept. 11th. party0006.gif

For you Blu-Ray users, there's no release date (on Amazon.)
    96917.gif
    Shame it never got picked up for a second season, was really starting to find it feet towards the end.
    Yeah, I hate Fox. They were too worried about the bottom line to pick it back up.

Maybe if the DVDs sell really well, they'll pick it back up. It wouldn't be the first time they've resurrected a "cancelled" series. (who knows)
    Fox bring back animations but I not heard of a live action show. Otherwise we would of had Firefly back years ago.
    Fox appears to have intentionally bombed Firefly, so I don't see why they'd have ever brought it back. I saw no indication that they did that with Terra Nova.
    Different managment, but they are still D***s!!