Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DF-44C Rapier

1235»

• TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Looking cool, Klavs! :thumb:
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Klavs81 wrote: »
    Here's an update on the Tiger's Claw

I'm not feeling the re-envisioning here. This is a good body for the Claw but...it's lacking something.
    I miss the aft sections and the under slung arms.

The refinements you're doing on everything else mostly works. I've also seen that you've trying to add not just a bit of pretend realism but some functional realism to the design. Getting rid of ridiculous protrusions from the fighters that have no real purpose an such..

As familiar as the run way is space ships don't need them, at least not as large as this. Platforms are more realistic and a rear hanger bay would allow for rapid retrial. It would also allow larger craft such as the Draymen and the Venture to land on the surface and then be lowered into the ship. The arms in the original design were merely turret hardpoints (not much purpose and a waste of material.) Like Galactica they should have been landing bays. Having two is proper redundancy invcase of damage to the other. While the forward bow of the ship should be armored for ramming and fortified with capital ship weapons like cap missles or batteries. Heavy Batteries should line the side of the ship as well in order to allow the carrier to engage an enemy without intercepting the enemy.

The best thing about the previous design is that it was clear that the aft section was dominated by engines and fuel reserves. That's appropriate because the Class is designed to be long ranged...a carrier for fighters and other craft.
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Kitties, GO!
    96817.JPG96818.jpg96819.JPG
    2.JPG 319.1K
    1.jpg 224.3K
    3.JPG 141.5K
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Love the Darlthi, nice Salthi took, taking a tip from the Super Famicon cover? Very cool none the less, looks very old and over built or continually added onto, can't wait to see some of the other models.
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Love the Darlthi, nice Salthi took, taking a tip from the Super Famicon cover? Very cool none the less, looks very old and over built or continually added onto, can't wait to see some of the other models.

Thanks Knight, yeah, I used the Super Famicon cover since I really liked that style of old-alien workhorse looking ship, and tried to bring in some of the classic and SWC salthi as well.

I've got some other stuff cooking, I'll keep this post semi-updated. :)
    I'm an immediately fan of the new Salthi Fighter. The original was very simple but this takes it further with almost a rough and grungy style...almost SGU-esque and yet very familiar.
    Thanks Saquist!

I've been blocking out some more details on the Raptor
    96939.JPG96940.JPG96941.JPG96942.JPG
    1.JPG 86.3K
    2.JPG 88.2K
    3.JPG 64.5K
    4.JPG 64.5K
    So when you do the gaming minis do you take your original higher detail model and then basically extrude out the panels to make them more obvious or just widen and deepen the panel lines?
    Getting rid of the star wars ray guns is a great idea.
    It gives them a better sense of sturdiness.
    @Saquist: Thanks! I like it.
    @Knight26: A little of column A and a little of column B.

Here's the new set of textures for the Hornet.
    97074.JPG
    1.JPG 300.4K
    And some more finished ships. Special thanks to Howard Day for letting me hack up and corrupt his Scimitar into the clunky monstrosity you see before you!
    97180.jpg97181.jpg97182.jpg
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Nicely done. I really like the first one in the group above.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208171 Posts: 0Member
    Oh these are gorgeous! I like the first two above.
    I love how faithfull and yet artistic the work done on the Scimitar. A bit beefier in the wings to take some fire
    A shorter fore landing leg and that's all it really needed aside from your patented greebles.

But the Kilrah ships are stunning...fantastic.
    Still tinkering with these, here's the Gratha (a bit different since the cockpit is in a Gondola arrangement under the main body), Scimitar (just for scale) and Jalthi (Thanks Howard!)
    98718.jpg98719.jpg98720.jpg98721.jpg98722.jpg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Still tinkering with these, here's the Gratha (a bit different since the cockpit is in a Gondola arrangement under the main body), Scimitar (just for scale) and Jalthi (Thanks Howard!)

These look fantastic, Klavs. Very nice work. I imagine you're building these with 3d printing in mind like the others?

I'm interested - does it change your approach when building them at all? What sort of things are you keeping in mind as you go, things you avoid - that sort of thing?
  • bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    Very nice work
    Nice work, love to see them textured and such. I do have to say that I don't care for the versions for 3D printing as much, mostly due to all the extrusions, I much preferred the cleaner versions, that being said I still love them, and understand why the extrusions are there.

Ahh...my favorite insta kille fighter of all time.
    NEVER believe you can take this bad mama-jamma on head to head.
    Comco wrote: »
    I'm interested - does it change your approach when building them at all? What sort of things are you keeping in mind as you go, things you avoid - that sort of thing?

Thanks guys, I typically try to work in whole shapes with closed faces. Designing for 3d printing definitely requires tidy mesh making, no getting away with kinks or duplicated points.

Here's the fleet so far:
    98856.jpg98857.jpg98858.jpg
    a.jpg 69.4K
    B.jpg 112.8K
    c.jpg 240.4K
    any plans for the Confederation Corvette?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    awesome, like the detailed surfaces on the craft. think that the craft second from left, bottom row in the third image is a nice design,also like the second from left and second from right in the top row.