Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon D7 Project

• EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Time to chime in.....actually a plugin called poly-cut was used [3D Max3]......as time goes it served it's purpose x years ago. Newer program versions have made those add-on's obsolete as well as new ways to model. NOT including the difficulties in converting from one platform to another [just ask mattc - he pulled many hair out with me]

So moving on...most of my references was taken from the black n white stills of the actual studio model. REL777 offered to post some and I am not sure which ones so I am looking forward to seeing them because he is modeling a stunning real world model

Brandenberg your doing a great job! I am always down with details so keep them coming
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Thanks for the chime. I'm glad you like the effort, given your fine work. I have some black and white stills of the STTMP model (which is my favorite) and some really good pictures of the K'tinga taken by a toy company for a model (that may not have actually been made). Is REL777 an insider? We really could use what he has.
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Nope, I'm not an insider, I never worked in Hollywood. This is looking fantastic, the shape looks perfect to me, only some of the small details aren't correct, but those are the kit bash parts. I'm in the process of taking ortho shots of the kit parts so you can reproduce them digitally. I know that kit scan photos will only give you the front or back views.
    Thanks. Looking forward to your shots. In making yours, are you going off those K'tinga Photos, taken outdoors in the parking lot? I'm talking about the ones where the K'tinga is on some kind of padding (like the blankets used for moving) with a blue book propping it up. There is also a darker set very yellow/orange tinted, done indoors.

I forget, are you doing the Round top Sensor dome (STTMP) or the Flat top Sensor Dome (STTUC)?
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    I'm actually making both versions, the basic K'tinga first, then the Star Trek 6 version.
    So two separate models. The engines are very different on the ST 6 version, not to mention the sensor dome. Now I'm feeling like I need to be a purist and make both. Gotta think this through. I was using the larger photos from the ST 6 model but hated the trash can sensor dome so was going to do the ST-6 model with the STTMP dome. Like someone said, also not too fond of the gold etched brick-a-brac. As far as a starship is concerned, doesn't appear to serve a purpose.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Mattc: Again completely off topic. I'm sure you've seen Michelle Jenneke the Olympic Hurdler/Your country's Olympic Hurdler. Check out this video where she wins. What a cutie! Makes you wish you were an Olympic Hurdler.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Faustralian-female-olympic-hurdler&ei=AD4VUJDwMIGGqgGiqYHgCw&usg=AFQjCNFYgFTLOw8JSdFz7PMmTK33frpwIw

She's quite hot :)
    EBOLII wrote: »
    r [just ask mattc - he pulled many hair out with me]

Fortunately, it grew back. :)

I just recall a lot of weird stuff with that one. It still holds up pretty well though. I fixed a gaping hole in it yesterday. One that had bugged me for ages. I had a motivational weekend. Even reported the Phobos which now looks way way better in its' LW incarnation than it did.
    mattc wrote: »
    She's quite hot :)

What a personality!
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    For color, my research shows that its supposed to be green, not the apparent grey seen in the movie. If you take any screenshot from TMP and adjust the levels so the windows are white and space is black, you get a lovely shade of green.
    klingon-color-fixexp.jpg
    Klingon-colorfix-ST1.jpg
    Klingon-colorfix1.jpg
    96755.jpg96756.jpg96757.jpg
    REL777 wrote: »
    I'm actually making both versions, the basic K'tinga first, then the Star Trek 6 version.

I'm sure both with be up to your usual standard.
    Thanks doubleofive. Useful information.
    mattc wrote: »
    Fortunately, it grew back. :)

I just recall a lot of weird stuff with that one. It still holds up pretty well though. I fixed a gaping hole in it yesterday. One that had bugged me for ages. I had a motivational weekend. Even reported the Phobos which now looks way way better in its' LW incarnation than it did.

poly-crunch was the add-on.....Never used it again. I don't think I modeled anything else either
    Boy, I've got to admit, the original K'tinga is a mass of details. :eek!:

I've been working on other things but they aren't ready to show. Here are some nearly complete engines from the Undiscovered Country model. The mesh in front of the blue engine glow needs another layer and there are details to do at the back. Also some along the front as well as some panel scoring.

Removed image to allow for others:
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    That is a thing of beauty.
    Looks like some clean modeling.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    yeah that inside nacelle detail i finger cramping amazin'
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great modeling Brandenberg. The level of detail is amazing.

And doubleofive, the color corrected version is more of how I remember seeing it in the theaters, not the blue-gray one.

Al
    Thanks all. I have been trying to shorten the engine a bit. It was too long. This post has some additional grating in front of the blue glow (not enough like the original - needs work) and some detail along the bottom of the body at the back.

Edit: Removed image to allow for other images.
    Replaced the Engine Picture above with one that has a lot of fixes and more of the detail.

Changes:
    1) Redid the rear cowling bulges to match the original.
    2) More engine detail between the cowling bulges.
    3) More exterior detail
    4) Fixed things that were wrong.
    Looks fantastic so far.

M.
    Thanks, like RELL777, I should do both engines. I think EBOLII 's engines were actually nicer than the movie model. They had extra pipes and detail.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Love the amount of detail you're able to squeeze in there, really gives a sense of scale, nice work.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    With the Boom done you could use it for other, FASA klingon ships--like D-10
    It may not look like it, but there is considerable work on both sides of this.

Edit: Publiusr, I finally figured out what FASA was. I had never seen the D-10. Until recently I didn't understand what you were referring to. Are those ships canon?
    98502.png
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Good grief the detail...
    Saquist wrote: »
    Good grief the detail...
    Yeah, when it comes to this ship, I sometimes think hundreds of people spent 6 months of 12 hour days just gluing little pieces on it.

Gotta move on to other sections of the ship.:D
    Awesome details! absolutely Awesome
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    A master modeler for sure.
    Saquist, Tralfaz and EBOLII: A hearty thanks.

And of course, more coming.
    I have used the Lightwave command "Translate Plus" a lot with this model. Hope to get more done this weekend.