Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Realistic Clouds on a Planet (Max 2009+)

MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2012 in Tutorials #1
I essentially condensed this thread into a step by step guide for everybody's convenience.

Thanks to IRML, Aszazeroth, Davide_sd and everyone else who contributed in transferring this to 3ds Max :)

The Aim is to create this:

2m4oe3c.jpg

In order to get there, follow these steps:

1. Create a sphere slightly larger than your planet, select it.

2. Open the MAXScript Editor, paste in this script:
-- Use the script to create a number of concentric spheres.
-- Version: 0.5
-- Author: Stefan "Aszazeroth" Ivarsson, www.dragondesign.se

NoS = 20.0
nuScale = 1.0+(0.003/NoS)
select $
for i = 1 to (NoS) do
(
objCopy = copy $
scale objCopy [nuScale,nuScale,nuScale]
select objCopy
)
3. Execute with CTRL+E.

4. Combine all cloud-spheres into one object.

5. Go into Element sub-object mode, select the innermost sphere.

6. Switch to wireframe view, and turn on Soft Selection:

23sg5d5.jpg

7. Move the camera close to a set of edges, and adjust the Falloff value until you get a gradient like this:

70kiz6.jpg

8. Note/copy/remember this value!
9. Close the sub-object mode and apply a A“VertexPaintA” modifier.
10. Apply a A“SliceA” modifier, set it to remove the top, and turn theA”sow end resultA” stack toggle on. (this way, you can see a cross section of the spheres)
11. Enter the VertexPaintA’s Element sub-object mode, and select everything.
12. In the floating VertexPaint menu, click the A“Vertex Color Display A– unshadedA” button, then use the A“paint allA” button to paint all spheres black.

2rm7dhv.jpg

13. Open the Soft Selection menu, turn it on, and enter the value from before.
14. Change the painting color to white, and select the innermost (half)sphere.
15. Click the A“paint allA” button, try to get a gradient like this:

2lbgt8m.jpg

16. Click the A“Disable vertex color displayA” button, delete the A“SliceA” modifier and collapse the stack.
17. In the Material editor, create a completely white, 2-sided material.
18. Create a A“CompositeA” map in the Opacity slot.
19. Click Layer 1A’s left empty slot, and drop your cloud map here.
20. Create a 2nd layer, and create a A“Vertex ColorA” map in the left slot.
21. Set Layer 2A’s blend mode to A“Color BurnA” or A“Linear Burn:

2jb00g5.jpg

You're done!

Attached is a PDF version, in case the images get culled by the hosting service.
Post edited by Melak on
Tagged:

• aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    Very -NICE- and thanks for the cred !

//Dr.Asz
  • ttandcttandc0 Posts: 0Member
    By combine all spheres into one do you mean convert the sphere into an editable poly and then attach them all together?

And if so how do you select the inner sphere sub object when it is completely covered by all those other spheres?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    3yr old thread, a pm would have worked.
    Answer: edit, select by, name/layer/color
    and yes, I think he refers to attaching them. Again you can attach by a list through name and within that filed select the object type etc.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    3yr old thread, a pm would have worked.
    Answer: edit, select by, name/layer/color
    and yes, I think he refers to attaching them. Again you can attach by a list through name and within that filed select the object type etc.

It may be 3 years old but this is a forum and this is a tutorial. Saying not to make replies to a tutorial seems like it defeats the purpose of a forum in the first place.

Thanks for your reply but that does not help as how can you select an element if you can not use the cursor to click on it? Remember we are talking about spheres that are all under the same name now as they have been attached.

I think I found a way, I had to select a single edge belonging to the inner sphere on both the x and y axis then ring and loop, hold down the control button and press element. That way I could select the inner sphere element. But thanks for trying :)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    read the tos on necro posting. if you need help with a old tut it is best to pm the op than bump the thread. notbeveryone uses the "new posts" or notification subscriptions.

I missed the connection of selecting a element with in the attached spheres. there is a wayto step down with a hotkey. but i cannot remember it off hand. i do not have access go max atm to comfirm.

again give malek a pm, if you do not get a reply try him over at foundation3d.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Thanks again for your reply MadKoifish :)

I don't mean to offend you but is English your second language as I could not understand anything in your first sentence. But your last sentence is easy enough to understand. If your going to speak English I would avoid acronyms and slang terms that only you know, especially when trying to explain something to someone else that is not from where you are. :)

At any rate, I believe you are trying to tell me that on this forum tutorials are to be treated just like any other threads and that once they are of a certain age, nobody is allowed to reply to them to ask questions. This does seem strange to me as new members to the forum will not know which members are still on this forum. And posting a reply will mean that others may see it and answer the poster like you have. While a PM would just go to an inbox of somebody that may not even be on this forum anymore.

I did read Coolhand's " read before posting " thread but saw nothing on this.

But seeing as you have obviously been on this forum a lot longer than I, I will submit to your knowledge of this forum and never again post in a tutorial. :)
  • CoolhandCoolhand286 Mountain LairPosts: 1,295Member
    don't do it - for a start the author may not even be around to answer, and those looking to answer general questions will be in the q&a and not here. not all these tutorials are for outright beginners, with the gaps in your knowledge you'd be better off going through some more basic tutes (like the ones supplied with your software) to get used to how the various editing modes work. otherwise google 3ds max attaching objects.

btw, terms like OP, TOS and PM are pretty widely used here (and the entire rest of the internet), get used to them rather than telling people they need to work on their English.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, I meant attaching them into a single editable poly. and you can select objects behind other objects by clicking on the same spot several times, that will step through all objects behind where you clicked.
    Or you could just move the camera inside the spheres, and select from there.

A PM would definitly have been better - for one I would have gotten a notification and could have replied sooner ;)