Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRalph McQuarrie YWing Concept

japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
edited July 2012 in Finished Work #1
Hey all, I just finished this piece for the CGTalk Hardcore Modeling challenge, but thought I would post it here as well. I modeled Ralph McQuarrie's version of the Y-Wings for the challenge along with a couple of the characters seen in this painting. Didn't quite get to do everything I wanted, but I thought it turned out well. Modeled in 3ds Max, rendered with MentalRay and composited in Nuke.

Enjoy!

RMYWing.jpg
96464.jpg
Post edited by japetus on
Tagged:

• WDragonWDragon171 Posts: 0Member
    how about a larger version so we can get a good look at it but what I can see it looks great
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    WDragon wrote: »
    how about a larger version so we can get a good look at it but what I can see it looks great

Right click the image and view the larger size, it's pretty big.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Larger than 1920 x 1008?

Wow, really nice work on everything. The modeling, the materials, the lighting and the setup all look fantastic. The only thing it leaves me wanting is more pics with more angles of the ship. :D
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks like a screencap from some movie! Excellent!
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    this is great work
  • NXNNXN0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful image! I'd love to see more angles of this ship too!
    Thanks guys! It was a pretty rush project, 2 months on my free time from start to finish. I'm definitely working on more views! Super busy at work right now!
    Here's one I've been working on that has a planet like the concept art...still kind of rough in areas.
    YWing_Planet_01.jpg
  • chrisddawsonchrisddawson171 Posts: 0Member
    Very Nice - I like the gloss on the textures - feels like metal, not spray painted plastic.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, you've really captured the essence of that concept beautifully.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work so far, that's looking great. :D
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    That's gorgeous. The people look great. And like Chris said, the materials are outstanding.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Well you got my vote over at CGSociety, fantastic work, good to see your other renders such as wireframes etc, here is the thread for challenge which is open for votes now:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=1058290&page=1&pp=15

Wasn't sure if you'd linked to it already earlier in this thread. Well worth checking out there is some excellent and varied artworks on display in there based on the concept art of both Ralph McQuarrie and Mobieus who have both passed recently, a fitting tribute to both artists, fantastic work.

:thumb: