Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Avengers 2012 - HELICARRIER

BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2016 in Work in Progress #1
S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier from Marvel's - The AVENGERS movie ...

Starting off simple, ... with just the initial blocking in, and some low res detail applied (just placeholders for accurate detailed parts later) .... Currently working on the rest of the Hull, underside of wings, and rear engines for the next update .... Everything is open to adjustment atm until main structure is sorted ...

Jas

*EDIT* WIP 001 removed as its no longer relevant to the new build .. On Post # 30
95986.jpg
Post edited by Binkerman on
Tagged:

• prisoner881prisoner881336 Posts: 30Member
    Nice! I was wondering when someone was going to tackle this. Do you have any decent references besides stills from the movie?
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    That's really nice. Good to see I'm not alone in wondering when one would turn up on here.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I was looking forward to someone doing this.

Are you going to be doing the quinjets too?

Great work so far.
  • shaneongleyshaneongley0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great so far, how detailed are you planning on getting with it?
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Heh, looks like you can add "High Anticipated" to the thread title. I'd been wondering when the movie version would turn up, too. Certainly looking good so far!
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Wowser!
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    just awesome. Can't wait for more :)
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys ! The first WIP pic has been updated in post #1 with more work done and many adjustments, which needed sorting before moving forward ...

@prisoner881:

I have enough Refs to keep me going ... I'm focused on the main structure for now ....

@ biotech:

Yeah, the Quinjet will be done .... Basically everything seen on deck in the movie ... I've also been gathering refs for the other jets ...

@ shaneongley

Will be matching the movie version for the completed high detail model ... so there will be plenty of close-ups down the track ...

Jas
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Great work so far. Detail wise I'm particularly looking forward to your model of Samuel L. Jackson as Fury saying...

"I've had it with these Mutha****ing Loki agents on this Mutha****ing Helicarrier!"

:lol:
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Nice work Jas! It is already looking outstanding!:)
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    That is damned cool.:thumb:
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    This will be epic! All of those details....
    IA’m surelly waiting to see the updates. :)
    Binkerman wrote: »
    Thanks guys ! The first WIP pic has been updated in post #1 with more work done and many adjustments, which needed sorting before moving forward ...

@prisoner881:

I have enough Refs to keep me going ... I'm focused on the main structure for now ....

One thing I'm wondering is how the turbines were attached to the hull in the "submerged" position. When Capt. America, Coulson, and Banner first arrive, the turbines are out of sight below the waterline. When they first start raising into flight position, you see some hydraulic gizmos on the sides of the hull that presumably are pulling the turbines up into position. What doesn't make sense is how much drag the turbines would cause when in the water, not to mention making the carrier wider *below* the water than above -- a sure recipe for running into submerged stuff. Do any of your refs shed any light on this?
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    One thing I'm wondering is how the turbines were attached to the hull in the "submerged" position. When Capt. America, Coulson, and Banner first arrive, the turbines are out of sight below the waterline. When they first start raising into flight position, you see some hydraulic gizmos on the sides of the hull that presumably are pulling the turbines up into position. What doesn't make sense is how much drag the turbines would cause when in the water, not to mention making the carrier wider *below* the water than above -- a sure recipe for running into submerged stuff. Do any of your refs shed any light on this?

Rule of Cool.
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Rule of Cool.

Haha! True! But given how hard they worked to make the rest of the movie at least try to match up with reality (e.g. Iridium *is* found in meteorites and *is* used to form antiprotons in particle accelerators), it seems odd they'd ignore something so blatant.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Drag is not an issue... The engines were lowered so that they were hidden, so that the carrier looked like a carrier.. it doesn't have to function as a carrier, just look like one :)

Lovely looking model, I will be following this one!
    Thanks Guys ! :thumb: .... I wanted to get the aircraft sorted early in the build to help with scale and detail placement, so I've got the whole thing mapped out in basic form, ready for the high res version .... So I'm building basic models of the Jets for now, ... and they'll get the detail treatment later ... haven't forgotten about Fury's Helicopter, that will also be done for placement on deck ...

@ TALON_UK:

Think that's on the Bluray bonus material deleted scenes section :lol:

@ prisoner881:

As far as I know nothing has been released visually, ... official sources may release something on how it actually transforms later, ... and if it is revealed down the track, I can always work that into the model for animation ....

Cheers !

Jas

*EDIT* Helicarrier WIP 002 Updated - Post #25
  • TankboyTankboy0 Posts: 2Member
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks (a whole hell of a lot) like the Pegasus from Stargate Atlantis?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Tankboy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks (a whole hell of a lot) like the Pegasus from Stargate Atlantis?

???? ur delutional
    great work! can't wait to see more ...
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Yikes!

I wanted to do this but couldn't find any good refs, whats your source or cant you say?
    I am still plodding along with mine isn't half taking its time. I was way off with my design lol...

Ill be keeping my eye on this, I was thinking of creating a smaller frigate/destroyer size ship in the official movie style.
  • kevinskikevinski0 Posts: 0Member
    @liam887: but i have to say, that your version looks more military like, it really could be a carrier from the navy or the marines or whatever
    while the original version(well what is original in this case?^^) from Binkermann looks more steahlty and more like it belongs to a secret organisation like S.H.I.E.L.D.
    so i would say both version are great and could exist alongside each other
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    Yikes!

I wanted to do this but couldn't find any good refs, whats your source or cant you say?
    I am still plodding along with mine isn't half taking its time. I was way off with my design lol...

Ill be keeping my eye on this, I was thinking of creating a smaller frigate/destroyer size ship in the official movie style.

Get both in the same scene and then a quick animation of them battling it out?
    Updated WIP 002 ... The structure is now more refined, plus more detail .... Will be posting a shot of the rear engines some time over the weekend ...

@ChrisGFX:

Cheers mate !

@Liam887:

The only source so far is what can be found on the Net, until the movie is released on DVD / BluRay in a few months. But there's plenty to keep me occupied besides the Helicarrier itself, I can always switch to the Jets & Helicopter, which I'll be doing from time to time ... If I hit any sticking points or can't go any further with the Helicarrier, i'll just wait for the movie to finalise the surface detail, and make any adjustments needed ... but atm I'm just roughing in the whole model in low res form to make sure it's right before building the Hi-Res version ...

Jas

*EDIT* Pic Updated - Post # 30
    Looking good, looks like you're doing just fine with the limited reference you have.

Nice work.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Still confused why they have alpha jet trainers on a carrier?
    looking very good ... I like the details
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking really nice. Looking forward to the finished version.
    Cheers Guys ! :thumb:

Updated WIP 002 again to the same stage as the new WIP 003 pic below .... (just to show opposite views of the same build) ...

Jas

scaled.php?server=593&filename=helicarrier2012wip002.jpg&res=crop Full Size Pic scaled.php?server=545&filename=helicarrier2012wip003.jpg&res=crop Full Size Pic
    Looking very cool. Loving that detail in the rear thruster sections, really nice build.