Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Nightfire - a comeback?

DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
edited January 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everyone.
I've been relatively busy lately with different projects (non 3D related) hence why I hadn't been on Scifi-Meshes too much.
I've also taken up a different Trek project for someone else who is on these forums (not gonna post anything on that - yet).

The Nightfire as some of you may recall had its own thread before on Scifi-meshes, but for some reason ended up displaced or 'lost'.
Nevermind though, I figure that this time I should actually keep the thing regularly updated in order for it to stay afloat.

I've gone back and redid the saucer a bit... phaser strips are NOT final (these are just test subjects if anything to get my bearings - although I'm rethinking the second strip on the secondary hull).

I redid the interior of the nacelles as well - gonna have to work on the transparent material though as the 'frostbite' look is a bit... distracting at certain angles.

Anyway... enjoy.

And I hope to post some updates soon (though the other Trek project takes priority over this one).
Just wanted to make sure this one isn't dead.
Keep coming back to the bare hull stage because I want to modify it as much as I can before I move on to hull detailing (such as the shield grids, panels, windows, etc.).
Oh and for those who are familiar with the version 1.0, I had a lot of small details on it to my recollection for close-up purposes.
Don't worry, same will apply here too. I am making it to be close-up friendly after all (and for some reason I really enjoy the transition I did from the pylon to the nacelle itself :D).
95902.jpg
95903.jpg
95904.jpg
95905.jpg
95906.jpg
95907.jpg
95908.jpg
95909.jpg
Post edited by Deks on
5.jpg 48.2K
8.jpg 352.5K
6.jpg 118.5K
9.jpg 106.7K
7.jpg 509.8K
10.jpg 200.6K
12.jpg 136.5K
11.jpg 108.1K
Tagged:

• vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
    This is a very nice model. What century would you place it?
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Certainly has a Post ST:VOY to ST:NEM look about it.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Late 24th century.
    A few years post the 'Shinzon incident'.
    Meant to have roughly 30 or 35 decks (I think - have to re-measure it) and be a Warp/Slipstream hybrid (hence the different inner nacelle arrangement - the Galaxy class nacelle cutaway I found only has the brown-ish bumpy coils inside the nacelles and warp grills on the exterior that 'cover' the area - I decided on blue-like glowing coils which should represent integrated Slipstream field generation for stability similar to that of the Warp coils generating a subspace field - the primary Slipstream function is still being generated via the main deflector of course, the 'coils' were meant as a prototype solution to solve the phase variance problem in version 2 of the drive that Voyager used in 'Timeless').
    The overall design has (unintentional) vague similarities to Intrepid and Sovereign classes (with a tiny little Galaxy thrown into the mix).
  • JonXJonX171 Posts: 0Member
    Oh I remember this one! :)
    Great to see you back posting 3d stuff Deks, I always liked(envied) your work!
    I think 30 decks is pushing it. She looks much smaller in proportion, somewhere between Intrepid and Excelsior classes.

If you want her to be 30 plus decks, I think you need to re-do some elements like the bridge platform, make it smaller.
    Right now, it is in similar proportions with the saucer as the Intrepid class'.
    Also, the size of shuttlebay door space looks much more at home on a 10 to 15 deck ship.
    In those images, the deck count as it would appear if I used the older Nightfire windows layout turned out to be 26.
    I played around with some minor scaling and fixing btw.
    I was able to get the deck count up to 30 with the new layout.

Revised pics here:
    95919.jpg95920.jpg95921.jpg95922.jpg95923.jpg95924.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    A very cool looking ship, and an interesting bend of all the different ship elements.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I still maintain the proportions of this design fit a 15 deck ship. Not 30.

Do what you want, it's your model. But I think it will look pretty daft with a window layout for 30 decks.
    Good morning.

BMused55

Probably because the profiling is reminiscent of the Intrepid which in turn had 15 decks.
    Keep in mind though that just because some aspects of the design remain similar, size doesn't have to be.
    ;-)
    Besides, you will start to get the idea once I put windows in and modify a few more things.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great in every angle appart from front on, where I just keep thinking "pith helmet"

Look forward to the progress, if its anywhere near the quality of your NX01 it should be outstanding.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks like a good ship. I look forward to seeing more.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    has a whole lot of voyager's elements in its design but still is a great start
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks really good so far. I like the design a lot. :)
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    I still maintain the proportions of this design fit a 15 deck ship. Not 30.

Agreed. It looks smaller. Plus, how many decks does that deck count make your shuttlebay?
    The ship will have 30 decks.
    You have yet to see the thing with windows that will give it a sense of scale - so be patient (the original Nightfire saucer had this incorporated nicely - its the same idea here).

The shuttle-bay will be several decks in height (2 to 3... maybe 4 - have to measure, but I think 3 would be tops - just like with the original).

The reason behind that was to have an arsenal of shuttles because this thing is supposed to be a deep space explorer... and it will also have work-bees (fully automated ones though - I find the idea of manned work-bees and construction/repair technologies to be idiotic for Trek especially when the original intent was to have massive automation and self-repair capabilities - a lot of our production industry in real life is automated anyway with humans in overseer positions, and we can replace over 80% of jobs as we know them with machines - Trek on the other hand is much more advanced, hence humanoid 'interference' would be minimal at best, except if the auto-repair systems are broken of course - maintenance would also be minimal).
    Judging by those little measurement guides, I make the Shuttlebay door at least 5 decks tall.
    Seems a little excessive.

However, with a 15 to 17 deck ship, it's about 2 decks, maybe 3 high. Much more in proportion
    The shuttlebay is 5 decks high.
    :-)
    As I said... this is intentional.
    Here's a pic to get an idea.
    95935.jpg
    19.jpg 83.7K
    Since it has such a large bay, you could always give it some kind of large auxiliary craft. I don't know what its mission is, but the craft could be designed to carry out certain assignments where using the big ship wouldn't be feasible.
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Or even a double-decker shuttlebay. One for outgoing, one for incoming. Might be worth even adding a 'divider' at upper flight deck level to break it up and reassert the scale. Although if it's intentional, sounds like you've already thought of it.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    For sure I remember this ship. Welcome back Deks!

I believe you have made a previous version for the naceles that looked to much cool. The new interiors of them are just textures?

This ship could replace the Rhode Island, for sure. :thumb:
    Deks wrote: »
    The shuttlebay is 5 decks high.
    :-)
    As I said... this is intentional.
    Here's a pic to get an idea.

Here's an idea. A multi-level shuttle bay. 2 Sets of doors instead of one ginormous set which would be far too heavy to be practical.
    2 sets of doors might be an idea worth considering, although one large doors is hardly 'impractical' (because as far I recall, multideck large shuttlebays also had 1 set of doors.
    1701 Enterprise (from TOS and the A version) come to mind (granted, those shuttlebays were maybe 3 decks high), but the point is that it had 1 set of doors... not multiple ones.

Also, the Sovereign class has a large round shuttlebay door as well on the aft secondary hull - well, never seen in function, but it was designated to be a shuttlebay as far as I recall (and it was several decks high).

To that end, I think I want to retain that premise (of 1 larger door) so that the ship has room to store potential other alien ships that could be larger than regular shuttles.

Starship

The interior of the nacelles is modeled as evident from this picture.
    As for the nacelle shape... they are the same like the previous version albeit I had to delete the panels that I placed before because they were too 'heavy' polygon-wise - I will remake them though, don't worry about that.

I was also playing around to give you guys the idea on how the nacelle looks without the outer shell.
    :D
    Granted I think I will put more stuff inside the nacelle, but nothing too complex... just a line with some add-on's that transmits energy (much like the Enterprise D insides).

Ok... playtime is over... I think I made sufficient modifications to the main hull so I can move on to the detailing (grids/panels/windows/airlocks/etc.).
    95993.jpg
    The nacelle innards look great. :D
    I'm digging the nod the the Galaxy class with the bussard collectors.

Just to show there are no hard feelings, I'd love to put this on my To-Do list for an MSD. If you allow it of course.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Looking very good. Quite a tall ship, from the bow or stern elevations, but then I was on holiday last week and went on a 15th century sailing ship for the first tie, so I'm content to see another tall ship (then you just need to model the star to steer her by!)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Dam that looks sweet!!
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Any Captain's Yacht involved, Galaxy X-Class mega-phaser, or nose-mounted side-by-side (Defiant Pathfinder-Class) pulse phaser ports? Will the nacelle pylons raise/lower for warp or impulse needs? You haven't addressed diplomatic grade or its ability to handle a stray / rogue jem hadar unit of bug-fighters in a "hit & run" situation in the event it needs to sprint back to Federation territory. Was it designed with an optional / emergency interface for a "borrowed" (properly authorized) klingon / romulan cloak in Main Engineering?
    Aloha... was busy with other things in real life so I hadn't had time to work on this.
    Hellsgate:
    No galaxy-x mega phaser... there might be pulse phaser turrets though (I had a few on the first version).
    The shipis a slipstream/warp hybrid (hence the different nacelle innards), and as for its fighting abilities (will be disclosed later on - nothing fanboy-ish, but more in line with progress as reasonably expected from plethora of technologies Voyager brought back - want to make it a bit practical without over-uber-ing it).
    No cloacks.
    And given the ships size, it will be capable of housing/ferrying diplomats on-board and of course housing diplomatic functions.

I think I might model some interiors (besides the shuttle-bay) as well.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    are you going to include a Battle Bridge in Main Engineering, that resembles the main bridge from the Defiant-Class?
    The ship cannot separate... hence I don't think a battle-bridge is appropriate.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Deks wrote: »
    The ship cannot separate... hence I don't think a battle-bridge is appropriate.
    gotta love hellsgate and his fanwankery your models looking good