Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFiat 500

XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
After a few hundred years of building space ships I thought IA’d try making a car. This is all new territory for me. Not much is done so far.
fiat500.jpg
1265.jpg
1266.jpg
102786.jpg
Post edited by XFozzboute on
Tagged:

• ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Cars are a popular choice. Not sure why, though - I assume they're very good practice for CG modeling. Anyway, interesting choice of car, most people tend to jump into doing supercars are something "cool", any particularly reason for going for the Fiat 500?
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Good idea!
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice little car.... Would love to do a small vehicle like that, but i can't seem to get my head around setting up the guiding images:(

looking forward to seeing how this progresses

*Subscribes*
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Cars are a popular choice. Not sure why, though - I assume they're very good practice for CG modeling. Anyway, interesting choice of car, most people tend to jump into doing supercars are something "cool", any particularly reason for going for the Fiat 500?
    I'm doing the Fiat because that's the car used in the tutorial I'm working from.:D
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    I love the 500, one of the best tuner cars on the planet.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    What tutorial?
    The one I'm following is over at 3d Total.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Armondikov wrote: »

yes its good practice cuz there are so many angles to work from and model good for practacing textures as well
    UPDATE...
    More work done on the car. Right now it looks more like a toy but the actual car looks like a toy also.
    1267.jpg
    1268.jpg
    Wireframes. Unsmoothed and…
    1269.jpg
    Smoothed
    1270.jpg
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    pit stop......
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, if you can make it look like a toy that's a whole new skill :)

Did you neglect to merge the points in the middle (assuming you're doing one side and mirroring it) or is the ridge intentional? I know the front of the 500 has a slight ridge, but the model looks a little too sharp.
    The two sides will be joined when I finish.
    Well it’s been awhile but I thought I’d try it again. I’m not gonna try to be accurate with this thing. I’m just gonna try to get it done, atleast till the end of the month.
    1633.jpg
    1634.jpg
    1635.jpg
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    nice to see you branching out a little with some different subjects and techniques. if you can why not try symmetry rather than mirror - not a fan of mirroring geometry for lots of reasons but here it will mean your sides will appear smoothed together and will curve properly for no extra effort
    Thanks. Actually I use symmetry all the time on my other projects. The tutorial I'm following to do this uses mirror so that's what I'm doing.
    UPDATE...
    Ok. Got a bit more done. Made the hood, door and side window. Rendered in Mental Ray and my first attempt at useing HDRI.
    1636.jpg
    1637.jpg
    UPDATE...
    More stuff done in the front. I also changed the color to this nice orange. The part that shoulds be round aren’t really turning out all that round but might be close enough for now. And ignore the strange blue glowy windows.
    1638.jpg
    Well I got the trunk and back window done. Still need to do the windshield. I’m getting some distortion from the windows still haven’t figured that out yet. So far I’m really happy with how this is turning out.
    1639.jpg
    UPDATE...
    Changed the color again. It should be a seafoam green but it’s coming out more whiteish-gray. Still I like it. Found out that the headlights are mostly useless since they face up and out to the side. Oh well I can live with it for now.
    1640.jpg
    I noticed a new problem with this tutorial is the hatch back. He did it one way and went back and fixed it later without saying anything. So I will need to go back and fix that. The red texture on the lights is just temp for now.
    1641.jpg
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, it certainly looks like a mark one cinquecento, so that's the main job done! Regarding the odd headlight positioning, it wouldn't surprise me that much if that's how they actually are, I mean, it's a low-cost car from the 1940s or 50s? Like the beetle or the mini, they tend to be iconic and (well, in the case of the 500 and the mini) pretty good looking little machines, but not particularly well made, they've mostly survived in numbers due to the fact they were ridiculously simple to make and they made millions of them.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Infact, the headlights were purposely designed to face up and out to help blind Soviet bomber pilots flying over Europe during the cold war... the Italian pilots were of course all immune to this because they always wore sunglasses. With the widespread adoption of the ICBM headlights could finally point forwards, maybe even a little bit down again.
    UPDATE...
    Added a door handle and all the window trim.
    1642.jpg
    I fixed the problem I had with the back door and added a few new bits. I also noticed that the bulge in the back is a bit bigger than it should be.
    1643.jpg
    UPDATE...
    Well I finished off the back and it has a few problems but I think it looks ok for now. I The thought the vents would have been harder to do and taken longer but they were not. I think I’m done with the car for now I was hoping to get a little more done before the end of the month but a migraine has put an end to that idea. Plus I’m in the mood to get back to my Star Trek: Civil War ships.
    1645.jpg
    UPDATE...
    Decided to make a few changes. First was to the lighting. I think it shows the flaws in the mesh more but I think it makes the care look better. I added license plates and windsheild wipers. I’ll probably need to redo them because right now they don’t even tough the glass, I had a hell of a time getting them in place. I’ve stated on therims and will be doing the tires soon. they will probably be the hardest part for me. One of my refeence pictures showed a car with the bars on the front and back fenders so I thought I might add them to see how they might look.
    1728.jpg
    1729.jpg
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking brilliant....
    Thank you.

UPDATE...
    The tires are mostly done I just need to fix a thing or two but I am very happy with the result.
    For some reason I got banneed over at Scratch Made Cars after my last post so I won’t be around there anymore. Too bad.
    1730.jpg
    I made more adjustments to the lights and fixed some pinching I saw near the door.
    1731.jpg
    Something went a little goofy here for some reason. Not sure why. Anyway I started to build the inside of the door, unfortunatly I loss the work I did and have to do it again. It should be easy to do.
    1732.jpg
    Some rough renders with the interior mostly finished.
    1733.jpg
    1734.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    the seam is way to noticable
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    the seam is way to noticable

I think he's probably using a symmetry modifier while it's under construction, seam will probably go away when it's finalized... Cool model though!
    Thanks. :D
    I’ve been busy playing Madden 13 so not getting alot of work done. But I’ve managed to get some of the inside of the car done including the front seats.
    1735.jpg
    Ok here is a little bit of a cut away. I did the back seat. It needs to be tweeked and then I can get into the ather smaller details.
    1736.jpg