Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLearning Lightwave

2»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Thanks. :) In trueSpace, I used to just deform a sphere, but that's not how Ger has you do it in the Lightwave tutorial. He actually got the idea for how to do it from a method Scifieric uses in Blender. It's very interesting, to say the least. But, you can't argue with the results. :)
    OK, here's where I am. Needless to say, there was a lot of work involved in the front end of this engineering hull. I don't know who decided to make this part this way back in the '60s, but it's not the easiest thing to replicate in 3D. Next up is the equally fun shuttlebay area.

ent017.jpg?w=500

ent018.jpg?w=500

ent019.jpg?w=500

ent020.jpg?w=500

BTW, if anybody who knows Lightwave has any idea why I'm getting those smoothing errors in the rear of the booleans cut when I render and how to fix them, please let me know. Here's a screenshot showing the area to which I'm referring:

entwire001.jpg?w=500

I followed Ger's tutorial and everything looks good to me, but what do I know?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it's the poly flow, you have edges ending abruptly where lightwave expects continuation, smoothing doesn't play nice with this sort of wireframe

I've marked those bits in red, you can fix the smoothing errors on the flat surface with another cut, which I've roughly marked in green, but the smoothing errors outside the flat surface will be harder to fix
    95590.jpg
    Thanks Dave. I was looking at the wireframe from the top-down view earlier when I saw the issue. It's all cockeyed back there, no two faces have the same angle. That's causing the faceted look, because it is faceted. And no level of smoothing would fix it, beyond doing what you suggested and making a new cut or just flattening the whole area, which is going to mess it up big time. I'm going with the new cut suggestion, though I think I'm going to go back to my pre-cut hull layer and completely redo the cut, this time differently than what Ger says to do in the tutorial, so that it's a flat face back there. Once I have a flat face back there, I think the smoothing errors in the cut area will be history. Of course, outside of the cut area, I'm still going to have a bit because, as you said, the faces end abruptly, but that's manageable (and it happens no matter what 3D software you're using.) Though, if what I have in mind works, a lot of that should be OK also. I'll be doing away with those points you have highlighted in red.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Chris and Dave, I donA’t know lightwave but... What do you think about just to cut the hole for that place, and make the "bulges" as separated objects? By this way youA’ll have more control over the verts and edges and I think it can solve the smoothing erros.
    Ironically, that sounds like how I did things in trueSpace. I don't think I'll do that here, though.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Starship wrote: »
    Chris and Dave, I donA’t know lightwave but... What do you think about just to cut the hole for that place, and make the "bulges" as separated objects? By this way youA’ll have more control over the verts and edges and I think it can solve the smoothing erros.
    a separate object would work well if it was just a protrusion, but this detail is depressed a bit, so you still need to cut the problematic hole anyway, you also remove the possibility of edge bevelling when you separate the objects, so in this situation it wouldn't be the best option
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    IRML wrote: »
    it's the poly flow, you have edges ending abruptly where lightwave expects continuation, smoothing doesn't play nice with this sort of wireframe

I've marked those bits in red, you can fix the smoothing errors on the flat surface with another cut, which I've roughly marked in green, but the smoothing errors outside the flat surface will be harder to fix

That is the problem I had with this area.... for me the most difficult part to workout.

I never resolved it to my satisfaction, but I did not get the smoothing errors causing Chris so much trouble......

I am watching Chris work with great interest or anyone elseA’s. if I ever find a solution I will update or add a new chapter to the tut....
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    Taranis wrote: »
    I am watching Chris work with great interest or anyone elseA’s. if I ever find a solution I will update or add a new chapter to the tut....

Wait a minute! You're watching me work?! You can see me?!

*begins looking around nervously*

:fishslap:
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Two ideas you might want to look at.
    Firstly check your smoothing threshold for the texture. When you make a new texture LW auto sets it to 98.9 degrees, but sometimes smoothing is better to set to other values to give the right angles where you want them.
    The other element is which poly are where and are they needed. Looking at your mesh image, there are a lot of polys there where you want the curved hull blending into the flat area. You might save yourself a lot of problems by simplifying the mesh in the area.
    If you want I can always knock up a quick mesh of what I mean and E-mail it over to you.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Typically, you set the smooth threshold to 35 degrees for most situations. I have encountered a few where a different number was necessary, but 35 degrees usually fixes most.
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Wait a minute! You're watching me work?! You can see me?!

*begins looking around nervously*

:fishslap:
    Yes. look over your left shoulder.......
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    *looks over his left shoulder, screams and runs*

Changing the smoothing angle on the materials is the first thing I tried to correct the issue.

I have to rebuild the area. (it will be good practice, as I'm attempting to learn the software) I may do that today, I may not. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in. ;)