Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy StarFleet Museum thread

BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
After reading though XFozzBoute's incredible Starfleet Museum thread I was inspired to take my own stab at some of the designs from the museum.

First is my attempt at the Powhatan class. I think the mesh came out rather nicely, though with all those blisters, it's a beast to unwrap.

A view of the ship pretty much as she stands right now. Two missile packs, as show in the Museum Orthos.
DJkkU.jpg

Another look at the missile tubes. Starboard tubes are deployed, port are stowed
zvmse.jpg

The stern. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.
izMS6.jpg

An earlier WIP render of Powhatan with 4 missile packs, as shown in the Deck Plans ortho. (maybe the additional missile tubes were a late-war refit?)
LvNyn.jpg

Powhatan on patrol
IsTeh.jpg

A front view of the 4-pack variant
KKPKH.jpg

A shot of the nose and belly area
FMJ3B.jpg

Just a profile shot.
fleYp.jpg

I still need to model some of the smaller doodads (RCTs, finish the shuttle bay, etc) but she's pretty much done.
95545.jpg
Post edited by Borkless on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good so far. It's nice to see all of this Starfleet Museum work going on around here. :D
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you!

It's probably because STM ships have such simple shapes, and yet look so cool.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    It's looking pretty good mate!

:lol: Indeed, there is a Starfleet Museum "boom" over here.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    UPDATE: I unwrapped the primary/secondary hull complex.
    This is pretty much the first time I ever unwrapped anything, so criticism would be appreciated.
    (the texture is a placeholder test grid I found... somewhere on the Internets))

The general top area
    atiRO.jpg

The tail and engine bell. (at least I think it's an engine)
    bn6gb.jpg

The nose area
    C7t8X.jpg

The Belly
    n2Erq.jpg
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks good, but you need to increase the polly count. ;)
    Thanks!

But why would I need to increase the poly count? The STM ships are pretty simple, and I'm trying to keep this mesh low-poly-ish to facilitate rendering and animating on my less-than-stellar machine.

If there are any regions in particular that need more detail, could you point them out? I'm still pretty much a noob at this.
    UPDATE: I added preliminary textures to the hull, and finished unwrapping pretty much everything but the missile tubes and shuttle bay.

uZhmz.jpg

DvXyv.jpg
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking awesome! I wonder if, by the end of summer, we'll have the entire SFM Romulan War wing done up. I should probably do one or two myself, but I don't know UVW mapping at all.
    Doomsponge wrote: »
    Looking awesome! I wonder if, by the end of summer, we'll have the entire SFM Romulan War wing done up. I should probably do one or two myself, but I don't know UVW mapping at all.
    Thank you! For being only the second texture I've ever done, I think it turned out rather well.

Plus, since most of the early-war ships are pretty much glorified tubes, UV mapping is pretty easy.
    It didn't turn out "rather well", it turned out excellent!:thumb:
    And I agree, this ships are great for getting the hand of the different techniques.

Also, I'm with Doomsponge, I need to learn to do UVW mapping. :p
    Thank you very much! This project is coming together much quicker than I expected.
    That's looking great. :)
    Thanks!
    But I've run into an issue: the hull number and name are really pixelated.
    llYAw.jpg

My hull texture is a 1600x1600 PNG. do you think I should make the image file larger?
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    That'd probably go some way to solving it, I imagine. I tend to model names and registries myself, so it's difficult to say with certainty.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I love the Star Fleet Museum ships! I have only ever done one Trek ship and it was based on the examples of the early ships in the Museum. Don't know if any one answered you on where you should increase your poly count but definitely around the lower dome (big gun turret? I'd have to go back to the Museum and read the description). That is where it is most noticeable.

Great thread BTW :)
    Thanks!
    the belly-bulge is apparently a cargo blister, and you're right, I think I'll see about smoothing that area out.

Thanks for the Comment!
    Borkless wrote: »
    My hull texture is a 1600x1600 PNG. do you think I should make the image file larger?

I think that the name and registry is supposed to be a different, bigger texture than the rest, that needs to be applied with an alpha channel, so that it lets you see the rest of it. Again, that's what I think, if I knew the specifics I would be using it on my models. :p
    I'm not sure size is the issue. Given the size of that render, 16k should be large enough to create some fairly decent text. It's been a while since I tried texturing anything in Blender, but you may be missing a setting somewhere that will smooth that out.
    Hmm... I guess I'll have to check my settings again. Thanks for the help.
    Of course, I could be wrong. ;) I was drawing generalizations based off of my experience with textures and usually 16k is sufficient for an image that size. Usually, you don't need anything much larger until you're getting into HD video and larger image resolutions.
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    Looking pretty good so far.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    The areas IA’m talking about are mainly the domes and the cutouts where they are inserted. ;)
    But youA’re doing a good work. DonA’t worry and just do what your machine can hold. ;)
    XFozzboute wrote: »
    Looking pretty good so far.
    Hey, thanks for checking out my thread! I'm a real fan of your work with the STM ships.
    Starship wrote: »
    The areas IA’m talking about are mainly the domes and the cutouts where they are inserted. ;)
    But youA’re doing a good work. DonA’t worry and just do what your machine can hold. ;)
    Hmm... you know, I noticed the segmentation as I was trying to fix the textures. I don't think it looks that bad, but there's room for improvement. Perhaps a later Mark II mesh?
    Anyway, thanks for the comment and compliment.

UPDATE: After much productive messing about, I realized turning off the "minmap" button in the textures window eliminated the issues I was having. Here's some renders of the new less-crappy hull texture.
    kIFe8.jpg

Qaz3f.jpg
    Yeah, that looks a lot better, more like 16k mapped text should look on an 800 X 600 image. :)
    Thanks!
    anyway, I just hit a small snag. I did the 7-pointed star for the side of the hull, and it doesn't look to shabby from a distance:
    s0mXB.jpg

But from up close... it just looks wrong.
    BHKEs.jpg
  • andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    I think it's the angle difference between the renders. The foreshortening in the first render 'fixes' the effect of stretching the heptagram out of 1:1. The closer image is almost straight on, and so it shows the distortion more clearly.
    andar_b wrote: »
    I think it's the angle difference between the renders. The foreshortening in the first render 'fixes' the effect of stretching the heptagram out of 1:1. The closer image is almost straight on, and so it shows the distortion more clearly.
    Thanks for the pointers! Did another render and fixed the proportion issue. The star's still a little fuzzy, but it'll do.
    8rJe2.jpg
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    Borkless wrote: »
    Thank you!

It's probably because STM ships have such simple shapes, and yet look so cool.

That was my intention. I always like the original Constitution because it was made of (apparently) simple shapes put together in a novel way. More modern ships in the Trek timeline are all swoopy and mashed together. They also have so much surface detail (windows and various parts ripped from Gundams and such) that they were too hard for me to draw with my meager drafting skills. So my technical deficits are your modeling advantage!
    Masao wrote: »
    That was my intention. I always like the original Constitution because it was made of (apparently) simple shapes put together in a novel way. More modern ships in the Trek timeline are all swoopy and mashed together. They also have so much surface detail (windows and various parts ripped from Gundams and such) that they were too hard for me to draw with my meager drafting skills. So my technical deficits are your modeling advantage!
    Hey, it's the man himself!

Anyway, as you can see, I love the ships you've done. Thanks for dropping by.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good