Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNot something you see every day- Steamrunner-class

DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Right, so my project needs a specific starship, but there aren't any really available of its class. Thus, only really one thing to do, namely build my own. This is intended to be a relatively low-res/quick to render model, so don't expect things like really detailed interiors or such- at least not yet, I know what I'm like. For additional reference, for the purposes of my project, the Steamrunner itself's a heavy frigate/light cruiser type ship launched in 2342 (I figure it fits the 52000-range registry pretty well), so this one will have things like the older-style squared escape pod hatches and maybe a few other details. My apologies for anyone wanting a completely show-accurate model, but eh, a refit's a refit. (or in this case, is it a prefit?)
95411.jpg
Post edited by Doomsponge on
Tagged:

• DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Ooh, right. First priority's to narrow that shuttlebay, methinks...
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I made one of these a long time ago, references are pretty scarce, or at least they were at the time, dont know if things have improved since then.

Looking like a good start to me.
    I'm using the orthos and stuff from Drex Files. The benefit of the design is that since the original model's pretty low-res and such, there's a surprising amount of room for improvisation whilst still keeping to the design.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/References

here's my refs for the Steamrunner, and at the end is my attempts at her! .. been off and on.. but a good dent on it :)

looking good!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    Sweet... this has always been my favorite of the First Contact ships.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, I only know of one model of that ship that's still available for download and it's a very old trueSpace .cob file. So, you're definitely better off building your own. ;)

Great start on the model. This is my favorite First Contact ship besides the Big E herself. :)
    Thanks for the refs, Ken.

The hull shape's a surprisingly difficult one to nail down, actually, and given my current abilities it's not quite the easiest job. Windows are going to be a nightmare. The shuttlebay shape's going to be useful, I had the shuttlebay being forward-mounted like the Sabre-class, but it seems that section's... something.
    Nacelles! Early nacelles, but nevertheless...
    95418.jpg95419.jpg
    Looking good so far. :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    something to think about - when the model was built for first contact it was textured with panels from the ent-e, so you could use that as reference
    I'm going to be modelling on a lot of the panelling, but it won't be as heavily panelled as the studio model itself; I have the Steamrunner class as on TV being the result of a refit in the late 2360s, this is the 'at launch' configuration. Mostly it'll just be a few details changed here and there, I intend to add the exposed warp coil effect stuff in the 'niche' on the sides of the nacelles, and use somewhat more primitive impulse engines and deflector assembly, et cetera.
    This is what I meant about the more primitive looking nacelle coil assemblies or whatever they are. I wanted to tie in soime design elements from the Ambassador-class and its contemporaries.
    95438.jpg
    Yeah, it does look a little primitive. However, we're talking about a CGI model from 1995-96 that was only intended to be seen from a medium to long distance. So, I'm sure details weren't as important as having something that was OK from a distance and wouldn't kill the render times. However, that's not to say you can't improve on the details some. It is, after all, your model. I forget who, but somebody was working on a high detail Steamrunner around here several years ago. He or she was adding a lot of personalized details to make up for the lack of detail on the CG filming model.
    The Mighty Spud, with AL3D doing some textures for him..
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/References
    last 4 images..

looks good so far sir!
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    It's kind of hard to tell what the nacelles look like in that last image, except that they're cylindrical.

I've always taken the thing in the notch at the front as either an auxiliary deflector, or a smaller shuttlebay. IIRC the Sabre has a similar wotsit?
    And now she's entirely blocked out!
    95452.jpg
    looks nice! couple of comments

maybe make the nav deflector pod more cylindrical?

and with the warp engines, have cutout on both sides, and a clear piece on top like an ambassador nacelle?

doing great!
    Looking great so far. :)
    The nacelles will be the next bits to receive attention. Here's some updates.
    95482.jpg95483.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Great work so far, but I'm not really a fan of the impulse setup. It seems like overkill, plus the lower engines look to fire directly into the pylons.
    Ah, good spot there. I'll probably simply cut it down to two engines there then, easy enough to do. Add something or other to the hull below them.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Good place for random greebles. :D
    Well, this is what I did to begin with, finally got some underside detail too. Rounded off the deflector pod as well. I figure the entire pod gets replaced in the 2360s refit, so I'm going with a more retro looking one on this. Also means I can keep the fantail, which is nice. I don't know what's up with the shadow on the topside pic, though. Around the bridge it suddenly goes really stark and oddly shaped for no reason.
    95486.jpg95487.jpg95488.jpg95489.jpg
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Bit hard to see for sure, but I'd have the impulse engines set further into the hull. They seem to stick out a way, which wouldn't be so bad except you're going to have shuttles flying around that area, and the larger their view of the bay the better.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice progress.