Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Steam engine design help

Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Looking for... #1
Hello,

I am looking for some one to help me develop some 3d models of a steam engine design concept. This will involve modeling up the boiler, steam control system, expansion motor, and the "mule" the engine will be installed in.

It is my intention to build this engine eventually. My short term goal is to use the engine to power a challenge car to set the land speed record for a "Roar Legal Steam Powered Vehicle over a Measured Mile". The current FIA certified speed record is 139.843 mph over a measured mile, and 148.308 mph over a measured kilometer.

I intend to raise that speed record much closer to the 200 mph mark, and eventually beyond.
Post edited by Capt Dave on

• TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    You might want to look into Doble steam engines. http://www.damninteresting.com/the-last-great-steam-car/
  • TankboyTankboy0 Posts: 2Member
    What do you need the 3D models for? Engineering or aesthetics?

When it comes to steam engines, things can get Ugly (with capital U-G-L-Y) Fast. Every state has different rules, and Boiler Inspectors to ensure they are being enforced.. And as if the state boiler inspectors weren't enough bureacracy, you're crossing into Department of Transportation rules, and I'm sure they have some pretty clear standards on "Do/Don't Do."

Lastly Boiler long ago quit being art and started being science. All kinds of things come into play on a Steam Boiler, and the ASME has very very clear rules on how a Boiler is to be built for a specific purpose.

I'm not absolutely certain, but you can be reasonably sure that if you live in a regulated state, you MIGHT be paying the equivalent of your entire project's labor and parts JUST handling licensing and paperwork.

All that being said, I would strongly encourage you to find a steam engine club in the state where you live, and talk to them about getting this project off the ground the right, safe, and legal way.

All that being said, may your steam racer run like a Swiss pocket watch. I'll be rooting for you.