Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

4th Grade Teacher Needs a Little Help

GrayfaithGrayfaith0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Looking for... #1
Hello all,

I am brand new to the forum. Let me just say how epic this place is, the talent in here is just beyond words. I am a 4th grade teacher in Georgia, and have been teaching for 12 years. This is my second career, my first being television production. Several years ago my school bought Adobe Photoshop Elements and Video Elements, and I reinvented the way I teach. Now I combine photoshop with anything I can!

I am currently doing a research report unit on the solar system, space, and constellations. As a reward for their hard work we video tape their reports in front of a green screen in our schools television studio (that I built). My class and I also film little spacy segments to introduce the different topics. This years mini story will be that the students "accidentally" transport me away from school, and H.A.L the substitute teacher program will take them into space, look for me, and transport them to the locations of their reports.

Every year I get a little more ambitious with the project and that has lead me here.

As my story has grown, so has my special effects needs. I am looking for some video cut scenes, first a school space ship, anything that doesn't have guns on it, doing a couple of flybys in space. I am also looking for a more intimidating looking ship that they will meet in space, as they are looking for me. I am wondering if you all might have some stock video footage laying around that I could use for my project? (mpeg, .avi, or anything that will work on Photoshop)

I would love to learn how to do this type of 3d modeling and make my own stuff, but I simply do not have the time in my life to do it. I would be truly grateful for any donations you might have, and you would not only make this years video special, but many classes in the future as well.

Thanks for reading this.
Post edited by Grayfaith on

• andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, sounds like quite the project. I was fortunate enough to have access to the school's Video Toaster station as an elementary student, a really amazing experience being able to make visual effects on par with some of those in everyday television at the time. We didn't have the peripheral that rendered 3D to tape, but I remember doing chromakey to produce a 'live' report on the sinking of the Titanic.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the possibilities, I know I don't have anything stock, but depending on how spiffy you want it, I could put something together in short order. I'm sure there are others here that would be better suited, but it would be fun for me to give a try. I'm thinking something like the old Magic School Bus in space, a generic yellow bus with some sci-fi 'greebles' to make it look like a space ship. Dunno for the other ship, maybe just a borrowed 'free use' model that fits the part.
  • GrayfaithGrayfaith0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that would be fantastic, but Honestly if you want to grap one of the ships that is already done in the archives and use it, that would be fantastic! I honestly don't want to take to much of your time. :D
  • andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    I found a couple of models to work from, the bus is heavily modified from a sketchup file, and the menacing ship in the background is a self-textured version of this file, released for free use. I think the pair look very cool. I don't know what the lighting did in this last render, but it should be darker. Either way, this shows the detail pretty well. I'd be happy to include the name of the school on the bus as they usually include, you could PM me that if you'd like. Let me know what you think.
    looming.jpg
    95053.jpg