Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMEGACITY

2»

• jeffabbyjeffabby171 Posts: 32Member
    yeh detailing I am not very good at so any tips on that would be great. especially anything I can do randonmize the look of the buildings.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    onlt way u can really randomize the looks is to model each building individually unlike the greeble generated buildings u have which is alright for distance shots but its always good to build one or 2 diff types of buildings in every few blocks/section
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, you need to do some individual buildings for the close shots. But you definitely want to keep the lower detail buildings for the distance shots and for the background. If you're rendering the whole city and the buildings are all highly detailed, you're going to cook your processor and RAM. ;)
    looking to build a render farm with 3 possibly 4 I-7 processors for rendering to render more detailed animations for my indie films.
    added seawall will put military installations just inside the wall with naval and fighter instalations.
    94716.jpg
    this is a screenshot of the civil defense force aircraft I am designing for megacity
    94762.jpeg
    updated civil defence fighter in a seperate thread and updated air base and seawall in megacity
    94828.jpg94829.jpg94830.jpg
    That's looking really good. That haze effect really helps make it look more believable.
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Agreed on the haze. It gives a really nice sense of scale to the thing. The seawall and military stuff's a nice touch too.
    updated render with better atmospherics
    computer crashed had to redo textures still working on a good facade texture for the buildings. testing city engine and using its pre fabbed rule to create more detailed buildings. also redid the ground layer adding more detail
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    the new buildings are too tall imo
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Those buildings are looking much better and more detailed, nice. I don't know about them being too tall or not. Would have to see them in situ, but looks like a vast improvement. Guess it is easy enough to shorten them to taste if need be.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    I agree the new buildings look a lot better.
    The 'classic city' approach/design (at least from a building point of view) doesn't really mesh with the setting in my opinion - seems... inefficient.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    IA’m thinking that a complex like this must have a shield energy, like a dome, to better protect it.
    About the buildings, the towers looks good, but i think you need to add other blocks less tall, but larger than the towers. Like Industries. Of course you could have them under the surface, but I believe even in the future not all the industries will stay under the surface, cause the cost. ;)

As a side note, Megacity makes me remember Megamind (http://fiqueligado.com.br/public/images/uploads/postsconteudo/filmes/megamind.jpg) :D .... Just kidding!
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Thats looking great Jeff. What program are you using? Plus what plugin to get the building detail?
    yes on the dome shield the buildings are prefabbed rules using Procedural Cty Engines pre fabbed future buildings the base part I modeled in Maya you can get a trial version of city engine at Procedural.com I believe thats where I got my trial version it is sharp software. City engine is like a greeble program on steroids it gives you pre fabbed options plus a facade wizard also you can design your own layouts its very user friendly I will most likely model each building and retexture once I get the look I want rather than using the prefab options. keep in mind I have a pretty stout system and if you try doing massive city scape it may crash smaller systems just FYI . :)
    first test of textured buildings for outer rings
    95095.jpg
    at.jpg 204.4K
    updated with my buildings and simple textures.
    95110.jpg
    The city is looking great. :)
    jeffabby wrote: »
    first test of textured buildings for outer rings

I like that render a lot. :)
    new render with outer ring update
    95179.jpg95223.jpg
    To much cool!
    In some ways, it makes me remember the old TTA books and the buildings we can see there. ;)
    what are TTA books ?
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Terran Trade Authority, I believe. They were a series of books that basically wove together a coherent, if slightly spotty, storyline around the various book cover artworks of the likes of Chris Foss, Jim Burns et al in the late seventies or early eighties. The books aren't really that interesting, but they do come with a lot of large, high-quality sci-fi artwork in there from some entertainingly diverse sources. If you can find one nowadays, my hat goes off to you.
    YouA’re right in all aspects Doomsponge! :)
    Jeff, you can see a modern rendering of some of the ships and scenes showed in those books here: http://vimeo.com/29549708

Oh, and you can still find those books in sites like Amazon. ;)
    do either one of you guys know a good place to get solid space mattes for back drops huge high quality images like the ones in that video oh and if you have not seen it check out Iron Sky the movie.
    updated render
    95891.jpg95892.jpg
  • Looking big the scale is impressive it's going to take some time detail properly but it'll look excellent, your ambition is inspiring.
    this is all Im going to do to this I think.
    97178.jpg
    It looks great. :D