Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNormandy SR2 scale model

2»

• DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Whoops - noticed I forgot to include a render from the rear. Revised version:

mesr2orthosv2.th.jpg
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks even more :D :D
  • i like this but tell me what possessed you to spend 1000 euros on this project or made you decide to spend such vast ammounts. i am also making a normandy model for my school project if anyone can provide additional material (images/measurements) particualy on the wings and hangar it would be greatly apprieciated.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    when you do scratch builds of that sort of scale it does tend to be expensive, his costs sound ok to me
  • Cerberus373Cerberus3730 Posts: 0Member
    Arbiter156 wrote: »
    i like this but tell me what possessed you to spend 1000 euros on this project or made you decide to spend such vast ammounts. i am also making a normandy model for my school project if anyone can provide additional material (images/measurements) particualy on the wings and hangar it would be greatly apprieciated.

hey, sorry i didnt get back to your PM's but i've been having some PC issue's and i turned off notifications from this and several other forums.
    anywho i already gave you all the measurement info i have. all i am using are pretty much just the images posted above and some screenshots i took off google. although measurements can be usefull at times i prefer to model by eye rather than by numbers. and the only reason i figured out the "real world" scale of the ship is because i wanted to put a scale number on it. Which is 1:180 exactly. its funny when you think that i just said. i want this thing to be 1.2 meters long. and it turns out its a pretty nice round scale number.

The reason i am spending so much is because i want to produce a super high quality product. to see if i can do it myself, i love the game(s) and also, i can build this model in pieces. meaning i dont have to shell out 1000 euro's right from the get go, but do it in encrements. thus making it alot more affordable. And who knows maybe bioware will show interest, but regardless i think this will look great in my portfolio and thats the primary reason i am doing it.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    those comparison shots of both ships are pretty cool, although i thought the Sr2 was even bigger
    The relative scales were derived from the ME2 captain's cabin display models, which I assumed were in-scale with one another. There is some discussion (and disagreement) over this in the other Normandy thread where I first posted those pics. I still maintain they are about right, as the only "canon" in-game information suggests that the SR2 is almost twice the mass of SR1. I think a lot of people incorrectly take this to mean twice the size, which is not necessarily the case.
    wel the scale of the normandy sr2 is the one i measured. it is based on the estimate that the airlock is 2 meters wide. (i made this estimate based on on one of the last cutscenes in which you see joker standing at the airlock. i then simply checked how many times the airlock would fit along the length of the ship, which is 108 times. and the measurement i made of the SR1 is based on the image and how many times that same airlock fits along its length.
    Which is 88 times. i know they arent the exact scale but they seem about right to me. twice the mass does indeed not mean twice the size. on alot of other forums i keep seeing people claiming it to be twice the size.
    i think the size comparison based on the captains quarter ships are pretty much acurate so i consider these images pretty much acurate.

anyway thats how i did the real world measurements.
    that said however based on simple observation. there is no way that the normandys interior fits inside its hull.
    btw here are some new shots :)
    normandysr22.th.jpg

normandysr23.th.jpg
    Btw just out of curiosity, at an estimated cost of 1,000 Euros, did you consider just buying your own 3D printer rather than paying to get pieces done elsewhere?
    the printer that produces these models cost about 20k a piece and thats not including maintenance and material costs.
    so buying a printer like that isnt really an option sadly.
    quick update on the cg model
    normandysr26.th.jpg

i recently recieved engine exhaust piece but my camera is broken so... might be a while before i can post any new screens
    finaly got around to finishing the model.
    interior needs to some more work for 3d printing but exterior is pretty much done apart from a texture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXmHUC8lKo
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    That, sir, is one pretty ship.

Did you fix your camera btw? I want to see this massively expensive physical model!

I say massively expensive, the Imperial Guard Leviathan used about Aï¿¡850 of materials, most of that at sale prices... Course, it used about 30 GW kits, so little wonder eh?.... I agree the model cost is expensive, but if the end result gets you that bird in all her glory (and it doesn't break when you drop it occasionally) then it's worth it.

Don't get a dog and never have kids. :D
    looks great, I hope you post up when the physical model is finished, that should be awesome
    I did fix my camera so here are the latest screens from the physical model.
    funds are kind of tight at the moment but i'll probably order a first wing bit at the end of this month :)

p1020152o.jpg

p1020154bm.jpg

P.S. i just noticed that the right intake is missing in my video... DOH 8 hours of rendering down the drain
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking really nice, keep up the excellent work!
    here's another update:
    these are the next pieces that are going to the printer

rear3.jpg

rear4.jpg

and here's a little 360 view of the complete model. its not done yet but its getting pretty damn close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXmHUC8lKo
    I like the way it looks, but that hull section is looking a bit segmented right now, I would think that would show up more in a 3D print where smooth shading doesn't apply
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    IRML's right. Also the slots for the tail fins look like they might be a structurally weak. You know the printing material better than I but I would extend the slots down to meet the underside of the hull to improve rigidity.

This is still an awesome project! :)
    the idea is that the entire fusilage is subdivided and thats what i meant with nearly ready. that should get rid of the stepping also the real model will have to be sanded down a bit to get pieces to fit together properly (there's a 0.2mm margin for error. so when sanding it. it will probably get smoother and get rid of any remaining bits of visible stepping.
    as for the tail fins i think they are quire secure. it may not look like it but the tail fins do go down into the fusilage a full 2 cm after which they are locked inplace with snap pins.
    the idea is that the entire fusilage is subdivided and thats what i meant with nearly ready.
    ah ok I didn't realise that, I don't normally see that level of panelling on a sub-d object
    here's another update.
    this time i added the belly canon.
    there are also some more updates on my blog that i didnt post here. any feedback is much apriciated
    http://373-graphics.blogspot.com/
  • FederelisFederelis0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi Cerberus373

I just stumbled over this thread and was astonished about the level of thought and detail you put into this model. I checked about your activity these last months and it seems you where not around in these forums for more than a year. I don't even know you get to see this post. I hope nothing bad happened and it's just a lot of regular work that stopped your activities here.

Anyway, if you come back to this thread and your model of the Normandy I would like to ask you if I can get involved in the building process. By which I mean financially. The Printing on this scale is expensive, but so ist the tremendous work you're already put in building the CGI Parts. Maybe if I can cover some or most of the cost of the printing for you, you could see yourself giving me access to your then finished files so I can print my own model from it.

I wish I would've found this thread sooner, but I hope you come back here at least one more time to consider my offer.

I will mention this offer doesn't extend to anyone else at the moment as it is not a job offering as such.