Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TNG at warp optical effect...

Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
How exactly was the stars effect itself achieved? I've been looking all over Google using relevant keywords... to no avail... I know how to create something similar by alternative means in 3ds max... but I'm trying to find out how the original effect was done...
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro
Tagged:

• count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Easy, it's on trekplace.

Basically they filmed the 6 foot model as the ship "moved into position", then they used the engine flash to mask a transition to the 2 foot model and slit scanned the camera past the 2 foot model which produced the stretch effect.

http://www.trekplace.com/article05.html
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    Easy, it's on trekplace.

Basically they filmed the 6 foot model as the ship "moved into position", then they used the engine flash to mask a transition to the 2 foot model and slit scanned the camera past the 2 foot model which produced the stretch effect.

http://www.trekplace.com/article05.html

No, not that effect... I'm talking about the stars while at warp...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

I'm still wanting to find out how the original effect was achieved, but this is what I've come up with tinkering with particle systems in 3ds max...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The colors look quite solid, couldn't you apply a smooth gradient? Unless that is how it's supposed to look...in which case I'd still do a smooth gradient :p
    Melak wrote: »
    The colors look quite solid, couldn't you apply a smooth gradient? Unless that is how it's supposed to look...in which case I'd still do a smooth gradient :p

Well, it's hard to decide how to do it... since the stars' effects change in different shots...

innerlight_hd_003.jpg

sinsofthefather_hd_177.jpg

farpoint_hd_187.jpg

However, the preview viewport render doesn't take into account the object motion blur...

Which you can see here in the rendered version:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    when i was on my trek period of life, i made that warp effect using a capsule object (to have the rounded edges), mapped a color gradiant on it, and then instanced it into a particle emitter.

i think its meant to be a kind of doppler effect, so the far side of the object is supposed to be blue and the near side red. but for X reasons, they didnt took that into account for the effect in the show, and are a bit random.
    well, that can be achieved by using a few different particle emiters with a few different color mapping (and seize, of course)
    L2K wrote: »
    when i was on my trek period of life, i made that warp effect using a capsule object (to have the rounded edges), mapped a color gradiant on it, and then instanced it into a particle emitter.

i think its meant to be a kind of doppler effect, so the far side of the object is supposed to be blue and the near side red. but for X reasons, they didnt took that into account for the effect in the show, and are a bit random.
    well, that can be achieved by using a few different particle emiters with a few different color mapping (and seize, of course)

Well, the Doppler effect, is the change in frequency of a wave for an observer moving relative to the source of the wave. It is commonly heard when a vehicle sounding a siren or horn approaches, passes, and recedes from an observer.

There's something about the effect created for TNG that draws me to it, I don't get the same effect with the at warp star effect present in most of Enterprise or Voyager... something about the TNG effect looks really cool, lol.

Most of the warp stars in Enterprise move with a slow straw like look...

Though, I really do like the attempt at the same effect for this shot:

inamirrordarkly_047.jpg

Hard to tell without the motion...

farpoint_hd_206.jpg

I think it's mainly the overall motion of the effect created for TNG... the speed of the stars going by, etc.
    94831.jpg94832.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    yep. but the doppler effect works as well for the light (because the color is relative to the wavelength of the light)
    so, go ahead with the smooth gradient