Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DToa Kaita's Stuff

Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
I've been a member of the community here for quite a while, but I have never shown much of a lot of the 3d renderings I do, so I figured it was time for me to make my own thread to solve this great dilemma!

For starters, I admit I still feel somewhat overshadowed by some of the great work that many others do here. I mean seriously! I feel as though I'm walking amongst Gods here! :lol: But really though, one of the bigger reasons for this is, my renderings consist of 3d models made for video games, and most if not all of those models come from the Bridge Commander Modding Community. I dont like to use high-poly models unless I absolutely feel I have to, because with video game models, you get the best of both worlds most of the time: good quality meshes and good quality textures.

Now to present a bit of my work (The Prefix says 3D but it will be a mix of 3D and animations). First off is a bit of my work that dates back to 2010.

"Wrong Universe, Right Moment." Coxxon made the Battlestar (with modified textures by Artgatt of Bridge Commander Files) and the three Basestars, and the Enterprise was made by Chronocidal Guy. This was made back in 2010, when I was struggling to learn good lighting techniques.
wrong_10.jpg

This one, "Shades of Purple," was one of my first renderings of this year.

shades10.jpg

From then on, I got better with lighting techniques, as showcased in these two renders.

"Πρωτεύς" (That's "Proteus" in Greek.) This ship was built by WileyCoyote.
proteu10.jpg

"New Body, Same Soul." This "Resurrected" Enterprise A was kitbashed by F9thCenturus.
new_bo11.jpg

And heres a few renders that lead me up to today.

"Hopeful Star." Galaxy Class by DJ Curtis.
hopefu10.jpg

"Entering Slipstream." Proteus by WileyCoyote.
enteri10.jpg

"Annabel's Star." The USS Krakow in this shot was built by Demon Renegade Studios and "refit" and retextured by Bones.
34t2ujo.jpg

This one, you might need sunglasses for. It was meant to be a volumetric lighting test in Adobe After Effects. "First Star To The Left..." The Sovereign was created by Chronocidal Guy and modified by CaptainRussel.
eq1lip.jpg

And this is my most recent render, "Cleared For Docking." The Valkyries were created by WileyCoyote, the Nebula is by CR, the Abbe is by FOAS, and the Akira is by JL Studios.
2vd5f6u.jpg

And a few videos I've done are here as well:

So with all that shown...comments please! :D
94808.jpg
Post edited by Toa_Kaita on

• Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    And heres a new video:
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Nice. I especially like the "Entering Slipstream" image, and the Pegasus warp jump video.

The flash at the end of the jump doesn't seem to fit, though. Maybe it's the color.
    Thanks :) I kinda agree now that I look back on it. If I ever attempt that again Ill try to use a flare that looks more Nemesis-era-ish.
    And heres another new render from me, a render-time friendly nebula test. Thoughts, suggestions, and comments are welcome :)
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    The latest animation looks... ok.
    The nebula FX itself is a bit basic though.
    Would be better if it was 'still' and not 'animated' though.

There's a trick I discovered in Max that you can do to enhance the effect of the nebula and make it look cloud like (in a sense that it has 'thickness').

If you are using procedural texture known as Noise for the nebula effect... there's a plugin for Max called 'Electric' (it's a procedural texture variation).
    Using those 2 in combo, I did this effect:
    http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss299/DeksRoning/3d%20design%20images/Prooceduraltest.jpg

No post-processing in Photoshop.
    This is all a single Max render
    Oh wow! I'll have to look at that! Thanks! :D
    Okay, heres my next test project: a test using strobe lights. Ive never done strobe lights ever in my renders before (mostly to save rendering time), but Im going to try to start now. Heres some progress using Gabriel Koerner's Enterprise, modeled by WileyCoyote.

rriog0.jpg
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    how did you get the star trek invasion soundtrack i cant find it anywhere
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    I myself found it impossible to find with a search engine, so I ended up taking it from a gameplay video with all the other audio turned down.
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    hahaha good thinking.
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    Test using Ozone for 3ds Max. Sovereign by CG.

5eiipz.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Man, great work! I particularly like your video with the Valkyries.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Toa_Kaita wrote: »
    "New Body, Same Soul." This "Resurrected" Enterprise A was kitbashed by F9thCenturus.
    new_bo11.jpg

That's my favorite.
    Thanks guys. :)

Heres another one I did, straight out of Max, no postwork added: "Mission To Mars." All ships courtesy of WileyCoyote.

244bozk.jpg
    Heres another test render I did, probably my last public one for the year. Credits in the video :)
    "So, How Do We Want To Play This?"

Im trying to replicate the specular bloom seen in many of the wonderful screenshots of the video game Star Trek: Bridge Commander, done by the Bridge Commander Modding Community, in this one (and obviously quite a few good ones here too). DJ Curtis did the Sovereign, the Krakow was done by Demon Renegade Studios and Bones, and the Son'a Battleship was done by WileyCoyote.

28hidl4.jpg
    "Welcome to New Romulus." Warbird by Maxloef, Norexans by MaxLoef and ZambieZan, Sov by CG.

new_ro10.jpg
    Here is a new test render from me for my fan series, Star Trek: Red Squad. I read a tutorial on Xenomorphic.co.uk to help me create shields with PFlow in Max. Originally I would stay away from it because there were times that I felt it was just a memory hog, but I've since been convinced otherwise. Credits are in the video. :)
    And Im back with another render! :D Credits are in the video, and like always, feedback is welcome.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I actually find the chase scene quite good. The explosion is, given the shortness of time we see it, okay.
    Thanks :) The thing with the explosion is it was supposed to be faster than how it was in the video, and slowing it down in Max caused it to stutter. I was going to put the explosion through After Effects but I wanted to release the video in a hurry.
    Heres a new render from me: "Little Sister Orion." Both ships are by DJ Curtis and the planet is from Celestia Motherlode. Part of a mini-project.

intro010.jpg
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    I actually find the chase scene quite good. The explosion is, given the shortness of time we see it, okay.

Although I am a complete novice and newcomer to all this, I agree with Aresius's comment. :)
    Thanks akb :)