Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DL.A.P.D. Spinner

• BasajaunBasajaun183 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, but it didn't work :(
    Update:

After being tweaking the mesh for several days, finally the mesh error has gone!!! :D

You won't notice a lot of changes since the last few updates because for the most part I've been rounding edges (chamfer/bevel), cleaning the mesh to fix small errors and so on, plus I'm probably one of the slowest 3D modelers around here :p

The good news is that I think I'm done with the hardest part of modeling the Spinner which was defining the basic shape, and what's left is just adding detail here and there. The problem is that my reference pics are of very low quality and they don't show very well all this detail so I guess I'll have to figure it.

BTW, something that may interest to all BR fans: in October there's going to be a re-release of the Director's Cut on DVD for a limited period and then, as I said earlier, in 2007 there's going to be a theatrical realease of a new cut by Ridley Scott wich is going to be part of a new 3-disc set which is going to include all the 4 cuts of BR (Original US Theatrical Cut, International Cut, Director's Cut and Final Cut) along with plenty of bonus features :)
    Two more pics.
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    WOW, that is some nice work, looking cool!
    and yay, for the re-relese of the BR!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Really nice stuff... now UV unwrap it and give it some propper detailed textures... Great work
    Not so fast, there's still a lot of modeling work to do. I'd say it's about 35-40% done ;)
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    I got my references together for you this weekend. I just need to figure out how to get over 600MB of info to you. If you have broadband I can use the "you send it" service. But if I can figure out how to make a torrent and get it on a server then a lot of people could get it as well.
    Update: the bottom part is almost finished, there are just a few things missing. It's not very accurate but I have not a lot of reference pictures of it.
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    That is AWESOME. What a great model.

Of course, is anyone now thinking that that Tumbler in Batman Begins is not as original a design as they all like to go on about it being? I'd go as far as to call it a total ripoff.
    I bought the 1/18th scale diecast Tumbler to go together with my Medicom Spinner because they are so related.

I always thought that.
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Yes. It was discussed thoroughly at SSM when the design was revealed.
    bar.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Basajaun: the model looks great! sweet job man!

I always thought that the directors cut was Ridley's vision of the movie... no narration, unicorn scene added back in, no 'happy ending'... but I'd be curious to see what this newer version has - and maybe they'll release it in Blue Ray or HDDVD!

If you are really interested in the movie, I'd recommend reading: Future Noir - The making of Blade Runner by Paul M. Sammon. It's a very thorough and very readable making of book. They even have a nice decription of all the different version that are out or were out.

Anyway... I always wanted to see someone model some of the designs from BR and you're doing a great job!
    cheers!
    I already own a copy of Future Noir but thanks for the advice :thumb:

In fact, reading that book inspired me to model the Spinner :D
    JeffrySG wrote:
    Basajaun: the model looks great! sweet job man!

Thank you :)
    JeffrySG wrote:
    I always thought that the directors cut was Ridley's vision of the movie... no narration, unicorn scene added back in, no 'happy ending'...

Ridley Scott was under a lot of pressure when he made the Director's Cut and they didn't gave him enough time to do it properly. His idea was to take the workprint and use it as the basis for the new cut and restore it including never before seen footage (the unicorn, the violence scenes from the International Cut, Holden in the hospital...) plus some important changes (no narration, no 'happy ending'...). In the end, he was only able to do the changes you mentioned over the original 1982 cut (not over the restored workprint as he wanted). In Scott's words "the DC is almost the movie he wanted to do back in 1982".

I've read somewhere that he has been working for quite a long time in this new Final Cut, so I guess this time he has done it in his own way without any interference from Warner Bros.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Basajaun wrote:
    I already own a copy of Future Noir but thanks for the advice :thumb:
    Great minds, I guess... ;)
    Basajaun wrote:
    I've read somewhere that he has been working for quite a long time in this new Final Cut, so I guess this time he has done it in his own way without any interference from Warner Bros.
    Now I'm really curious if he'll do any special effects fixes or changes? matte fixes, etc, or anything stupid like lucas did?? hopefull not... and if there is anything hopefully it will just be cosmetic!
    I imagine the only thing he would change is some wire removal. The FX ar perfect as they are. BR is still a movie to be surpassed in the VFX department.
    Agreed. The FX of BR are so spectacular. In my opinion they don't need to be retouched in any way.

BTW, cobywan I'd appreciate if you could send me a few refs of this part (see attached pic). I can't quite figure out what's in there. Thanks in advance.
    Time for a new update.

The rail in the right side of the Spinner needs to be fixed in the upper part (it's a bit longer). Just a few more details and the outside will be finished.
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    LOVE the spinner lights! Man, you're doing great work!
  • zbuzz1zbuzz10 Posts: 0Member
    Oh man, I loved the effect in Blade Runner, still one of my favorite scifi movies of all time. Great job detailing this man. I can't wait to see a final render. So... You making some scenery for it next?
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good man, lights look awsome....
    I'm glad you like it, guys :)

Update:

- Bottom part is finished.

- The side rail is fixed.

- I've started adding additional detail sucha as wires.

- Once I'm done with the exterior I'll begin with the interior.

I've attached an image showing the finished bottom part.
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    now that's just cool..hehe..:)..can't wait to see it painted..:)
  • Sukhoi_FlagonSukhoi_Flagon0 Posts: 0Member
    brilliant, really nice clean mesh and looks spot on from what i remember. this threads really helped remind me how DAMN GOOD bladerunner was lol. i remember there was a bladerunner game, bit of one of those mysteryish ones. anyone ever play it?
  • JaydenJayden0 Posts: 0Member
    "Ive seen things, you people wouldnt believe, hmmm.
    ... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of orion.
    Ive watched c beams glitter in the dark near the tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain..."

This movie is brilliant, good to see its being cut again so I can throw my ideas of what it is about out the window and go back to being confused :D

Awsome model Basajaun, looks cool. Even if it is to be lighthartedly honest the ugliest looking car ever concieved. :D
    Basajaun wrote:
    Agreed. The FX of BR are so spectacular. In my opinion they don't need to be retouched in any way.

BTW, cobywan I'd appreciate if you could send me a few refs of this part (see attached pic). I can't quite figure out what's in there. Thanks in advance.

Here is a taste of what I have
    Here is a link to my blueprints that I have negleted for the last four years;

Untitled Document
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    Basajaun wrote:

A few areas of matte lines and overly-heavy grain could stand to be fixed. But yes, on the whole its perfect.
    Those few images you've posted are more than enough to see how inaccurate my mesh is :shiner:

Oh, this is so frustrating :(

Thnx for the pics cobywan.
    It looks GREAT! I would say it's the most accurate one I have seen so far. I say finnish it and if you still want to do it over a year from now that would be fine. PM me a mailing address and I'll send you the CD-ROM I have ready for you.