Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalLarge Blood Angels Terminator

• DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Well I personally have large manly hands, but those aren't my hands in the pics, so I can't comment on their scale. I swiped the links from a blog post -

http://wh40kdaemons.blogspot.com/2010/04/honoured-imperium-box-contents.html

http://wh40kdaemons.blogspot.com/2010/04/honoured-imperium-terrain.html
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Hehehe, no worries, mate ;)

Alright, just got set back again on the oil wash thing. I really think it's just the Klear over large surfaces that makes the whole lot way too slippery for the oil paint to take on decently. Perfect for smaller models, or very detailed and greebled models. But for large surfaces... nope...
    I just gave the model a coat of satin varnish with the airbrush. Now I need to leave that alone so it can cure decently.
  • cassarcassar0 Posts: 7Member
    i would say the statue would be simular in scale to the forge world marine possibly slightly smaller. Another addition to your diorama a genestealer laying blasted to pieces at the stair foot having just encoutered the big guy coming through the arch I could cetainley do you the componant parts and you can hack a way at them in a fashion of your choosing to place em in an adequately grosse death pose.
    for example http://www.coolminiornot.com/218197
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Awesome, awesome...and even MORE awesome.
    Ah yeah. Giganticdark's model is the direct reason I started painting again and bought that large FW marine. That's a truly inspirational model, that one. :D
    I like the method for making the banner with depth. Crazy skills required though painting all the threads. At your scale you could probably get the threads in the mould itself.
    Oh, now we're talking.... indeed! I can design the flag in photoshop, and use a greyscale version to have it laser-etched onto some piece of something as a negative, and then use than to press a positive using greenstuff which I can drape on the stairs. :D
    Work's been hectic, the weather's been ****e, and I had a few more failed oil attempts. Finally, with a coat of stain varsnish, it took better and I also added some dark brown to the black wash, which seemed to improve the consistency as well.

This is just the as-is, The effect is a bit too harsh here and there but as it's oil paint, I will feather and blend it a bit better.
    Also, the last pics are not for the weak-hearted. Pure shock and horror. The right arm went for a bit of a tumble and the dry snap it produced did stop my heart for a second. Luckily I recovered all broken off pieces so I can patiently reconstruct it... :(

IMG_4721.JPG
    Oh, nasty. But I guess you do love the beaten up look after all. :D

At that scale, patching it up shouldn't pose too many dramas I would think, but you could always obscure the area with purity seals or something similar if it is really bad.
    Well, I managed to glue the bits in place quite neatly. The breaks were pretty clean with the inside with that were 'rough' enough so they will stick very firmly.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice Job Mate!
    Alright, progress on the damage fix. The front bit that broke off was actually in two pieces. They set seamlessly but the line across the knuckles needs some more love. I need to gently sand it even and then carefully bring it on par with the rest of the paint again. Luckily it's only black though.

IMG_4743.JPG

I've also been sidetracked for a moment with a deadline project for a mate's birthday.

it's a 80mm Clone Trooper. Nice model to paint, bought it from the Coolminiornot shop and I also found and bought a perfectly sized glass bell for the trooper to fit under. ^^
    It's very gently shaded, received a light drybrushing, and I added a pattern. The chest and arms were masked using masking tape but the helmet I freehanded. I painted the orange on just with a brush. Airbrushing seemed like to much hassle for just a few stripes. For some of the scratches on the orange, I dabbed on some masking fluid while other bits I painted on using a brush and some dry-sponging. I used the same dark grey as the body glove to dry-sponge on some chips and stains here and there.
    The model just received a layer of spray varnish, ready for oil paints.

IMG_4740.JPG
    Oh, man! Hate to hear about the tumbling of the arm.:( But you will fix it back perfect.

I didnt know of that phase 1 clone kit. Looks great, Meph.
    Really nice work Mate and that clone looks sweet.
    Finished! This must be some kind of record... :D

IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4757.JPG
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Great painting there Meph!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great stuff as usual, dude. That trooper looks fantastic. :D
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent paint job on the Clone Trooper mate ! .... Only thing you might consider is a fine coat of clear gloss for the helmet's visor ... and maybe emphasize the base around the rock a tad more with some sand (Geonosis sand, so you have to order that in) ....

Well done Meph ! :thumb: ...

Jas
    You forgot to clean it before you put it in the jam jar. It has dirt all over it.
    Missed the update somehow! Excellent as always, Meph.:)
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Great painting there Meph!
    Great stuff as usual, dude. That trooper looks fantastic. :D
    Missed the update somehow! Excellent as always, Meph.:)

Cheers guys! I'm glad you like it!:D
    Binkerman wrote: »
    Excellent paint job on the Clone Trooper mate ! .... Only thing you might consider is a fine coat of clear gloss for the helmet's visor ... and maybe emphasize the base around the rock a tad more with some sand (Geonosis sand, so you have to order that in) ....
    Well done Meph ! :thumb: ...
    Jas
    Well, at the time I took the pic, the visor had already 3 coats of gloss on it, but as the head is tilted down a bit, it never really catches the light easily. As the model will only be picked up tonight, I'm going to build up some more layers to make it really thick and glassy.
    More sand? Around the rock? Add dirt to the black base which I lovingly sanded down, coated in black, gave it 2 layers of gloss coat, then gave it 3 layers of gloss varnish mixed with metallic medium, followed by yet another three coats of gloss? lol :argh:
    DCB wrote: »
    You forgot to clean it before you put it in the jam jar. It has dirt all over it.
    Ah dammit! Me and my dirty, dirty hands! :D
    Really nice work Mate
    Progress! Or rather, the start of progress. I gave the repairs a coat of black to see how it all dried and cured. And it looks spot on to me, not a seam in sight. Once his hand guard has been weathered up-to-date (which would take only a bit of sponging), and the gold's been retouched I can continue the rest of the model. Actually, it's been so long that I kind of forgot where I was in the whole process. It actually looks as if I could go straight for painting gems and lenzes and then it's the final round of weathering. Some grease around the armour joints and some weathering powders here and there and then the main body is done. After that I still need to paint up the bolter, the halo, the cabling, the besagews, and the hip guards. I should probably come up with some heraldry for one of the armpit guards...

IMG_4980.JPG
    Nice fix. I can't see where it broke off. :D In fact, I had to go back a couple pages to jog the ol' memory.
    Cool. Good to see that there were ultimately no ill effects. Might I suggest lining your floor with 6" thick foam sheeting as a precaution against future droppage?
    Really nice. I love how you do the chip work.
    Cheers fellas!
    lol, a padded room... I wouldn't say no to that. Imagine the joy and gusto with which you would be able to propel yourself into the room each time. :D
    K-Pow! :D

IMG_5666.JPG
    IMG_5675.JPG

Inching closer... Currently finishing up the arm cables and the hip armour, after that, just the Storm Bolter, the halo, and the besagews.

(right-click on the pics and open in new tab if they don't show full size, as usual ;))
    Great stuff. The level of detail you get in your painting never ceases to impress me. It's nice to see more work being done on this. :D