Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationMylex' Star Trek projects

• mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    edited January 2022 #122
    Thanks all for your advice, this was really helpful.

Did some tries to the audio, I think this sounds much better

Post edited by mylex on
    edited January 2022 #123
    Another animation preview

Post edited by mylex on
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Always excited to see what you're going to show us next! Great work! :)
  • Destructor!!!Destructor!!!0 Posts: 0Member
    Can I suggest an alteration to the computer generated dialogue?

As others have said "It's not of ours" is an odd way of putting it. "It's not one of ours" would be better.

Also, "The information is not clear" is another strange way of putting it. "Sensor readings are unclear"

So, it would go:

Kirk: What do you make of her?

Voice: It's not one of ours. Sensor readings are unclear, but it could be a Klingon ship.
    Can I suggest an alteration to the computer generated dialogue?

As others have said "It's not of ours" is an odd way of putting it. "It's not one of ours" would be better.

Also, "The information is not clear" is another strange way of putting it. "Sensor readings are unclear"

So, it would go:

Kirk: What do you make of her?

Voice: It's not one of ours. Sensor readings are unclear, but it could be a Klingon ship.

Thanks

I fixed "It' not one of ours" but the others don't work with the voice, it sounds really bad because of the pronunciation but I'll try something.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Why are you using a computer generated voice?
    After some work to the Bird of Prey mesh of WJaspers it's ready for the first shots
    93665.jpg
    bop.jpg 211.1K
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Apart from the odd dialogue, I've another inconsistency.
    Whent hey depart, Saavik asks for the course and Kirk says "Captains disgression." But later on, he tells Sulu "Warp 5." And Sulus responds with "So much for the training session."
    These two don't match up really...

Beyond that, great work, I really love it.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Apart from the odd dialogue, I've another inconsistency.
    Whent hey depart, Saavik asks for the course and Kirk says "Captains disgression." But later on, he tells Sulu "Warp 5." And Sulus responds with "So much for the training session."
    These two don't match up really...

Beyond that, great work, I really love it.

Thanks

But why don't match this, in case we forget all what we know about ST TWOK.

Enterprise leaving spacedock with a starfleet academy crew on a training course. There is no direct order to the heading. Kirk only give the order to warp speed and Sulu affirmed the training cruise. I think this could match with a little bit of imagination. :)
    Well, that's the thing. He said "Captains disgression." but then gives orders himself. That's the first thing, as he's not a/the captain at that time, Spock is.
    And second, Sulus line clearly points to something not going the way things should go. Not what he says, the way he says it is important. And the facial expression also accounts to that.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Well, that's the thing. He said "Captains disgression." but then gives orders himself. That's the first thing, as he's not a/the captain at that time, Spock is.
    And second, Sulus line clearly points to something not going the way things should go. Not what he says, the way he says it is important. And the facial expression also accounts to that.

You mean "Captains' discretion", of course.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, narratively there is a bit of an issue there.
    edited January 2022 #134
    First shot with the Bird of Prey, my interpretation of decloaking process

Watch this in Full HD to see the details of the effect
    Post edited by mylex on
    Very cool, I think it needs just a touch more shimmer/wobble/ripple or whatever you choose to call it as it moves when cloaked, like the cloaking field is distorting the light that is seen through it. Really looking forward to this next animation.
    I agree in the shimmer, but it als should be somewhat faster. As I recall, cloaking/decloaking is, when the ship's most vulernable, and that's far too long even for cinematical dramatic standarts.
    edited January 2022 #137
    Next animation preview

Post edited by mylex on
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    For the cloaking effect, I'd use compositing in AE, with the BoP on a separate layer, giving it some kind of ripple effect, keyframing it's strength, or whatever to 0... that's how I did the cloaking effect in my TNG "Defector" VFX video.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    For the cloaking effect, I'd use compositing in AE, with the BoP on a separate layer, giving it some kind of ripple effect, keyframing it's strength, or whatever to 0... that's how I did the cloaking effect in my TNG "Defector" VFX video.

The cloaking effect has 3 layers, background, mask of the BoP, and the BoP himself, the used effect is a blend effect with a moving iris lens. I think this is working good to make the background a little bit blurred. I'll playing with some clomplex wave effects to generate the ripple effect, must be easy to realize.
    Bird of Prey attacking the Enterprise, Kirk make a mistake and Enterprise is getting two hits
    93810.jpg93811.jpg
  • lexington1709lexington1709339 Posts: 29Member
    "Oops! I knew I was forgetting to do something!" - Kirk

Seriously, I've been following this on YouTube and if I had half your skill, I'd have it made! Good work, Sir, and am looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
    This is the last CG shot, now I start with the post production and the final sound editing
    93897.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I'd suggest not making the transition from Warp to impulse just as abrubt as the acceleration jump to warp.
    If you did it like Star Trek VI where the Camera Pans around as the Enterprise comes out of warp it would feel a bit more graceful. Or as the camera pans the warp streaks disappear and the ship passes and then fires torpedoes moving rapidly on impulse....That might make a pretty intense transition scene.
    edited January 2022 #144
    Inspired of MadKoiFish's thread about the TMP pearl effect, I worked on my setup and made a little test render. It's not easy to get this effect right, there are too many parameter to edit. :(

Post edited by mylex on
    edited January 2022 #145
    Finished the "Attack of the Klingons" video, which is going online the next days.

Next project is the recreation of the VFX of Star Trek - The Final Frontier

First part the title

Post edited by mylex on
    (The pearlescent test)

It looks very pretty, but at about the 15 second mark, the lens flare from the sun, and the pearlescent effect combine on the right-top of the saucer to make a really odd looking reflection.
    rojren wrote: »
    (The pearlescent test)

It looks very pretty, but at about the 15 second mark, the lens flare from the sun, and the pearlescent effect combine on the right-top of the saucer to make a really odd looking reflection.

Not sure what you're talking about there, viewed it in hi rez and could see any issue at that time. The only thing I can see that it might be is the light glare lens effect coming from the sun, which has nothing to do with the pearlescent effect.
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    I think he's just saying that the lens glare effect makes it appear as if there is a weird reflection on the hull's surface that isn't there. I noticed the same thing and had to take a second look (yeah, twist my arm) before I realized it was just lens flare from the sun's glow.
    Just saying that with the hull being shiny, the lens flare 'looks' like a reflection on the hull.

(After zooming around the screen capture, I'm even more impressed with the ship than I was.)
    94031.jpg
    rojren wrote: »
    Just saying that with the hull being shiny, the lens flare 'looks' like a reflection on the hull.

(After zooming around the screen capture, I'm even more impressed with the ship than I was.)

This was just a quick render, the lens flares could be optimized :)