Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar trek universe hephaestus class logistics/disaster relief ship BLENDER

• ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    It's quite ... boxy for a Trek-ship.
    Nice start nonetheless.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    ST-One wrote: »
    It's quite ... boxy for a Trek-ship.
    Nice start nonetheless.

Well, it's a design that reflects my own views. I mean, WTF should a ship that is not meant to enter atmosphere be streamlined? The saucer is meant to enter and fly in atmosphere, so it's got some streamlining. It's also meant to sit on the surface and, if need be, resist attack from above, so the upper section is massively armored and uses thick, heavy armor plating on the upper half of the saucer. The rear section doesn't enter atmosphere so it's not streamlined, doesn't need to be.

I never liked enterprise d's look, too abstract. I don't go for some of the TNG looks, just too surrealistic and abstract. Plus I admit that I can't model that good.

The basic hull is finished, time to detail, detail, detail, then to try texturing.
    Current rear view, added rear torpedoes and heavy tractor beam.

hephaestus5.png?t=1329730798
    hephaestus11.png

?action=view&current=hephaestus10.png

hephaestus9.png

hephaestus8.png

hephaestus7.png

hephaestus10.png
    DAMMIT! How the frak do I get a thumbnail of an image to appear in the title list on the forum?!
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Attach(ed) thumbnails in the advanced settings of a post ;) that should help. And it looks like an interesting start. It is good to see different kind of mission ships.
    Thanks.

BTW, the ship is meant to be a fully capable combat unit, she's also meant to supply logistical support to a fleet operating out of supply with her huge replicator capacity, in addition to the saucer landing on a stricken planet and providing massive disaster relief quickly. She'd likely begin replicating industrial scale replicators and power sources to allow a stricken planet to effect it's own recovery.
    untitled1.png

HEPHAESTUS13.png

HEPHAESTUS12.png

Added details to the underside of the saucer where it was most needed, and some more engine details.

hephaestuf14.png
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    After a long break I'm back at work. I was hoping that there'd be a version of blender that let me use cycles rendering with my video cards but looks like that's not happening.

Here are some views of the star trek universe inspired Hephaestus. I've done a lot to it lately. The lover hull was completely remodeled to give it a more elaborate sensor/scanner/deflector array on the front, I added a sensor array to the rear and separated the lower hull into two sections.

The interconnector was replaced completely with a dual part version, the engine nacelles have been heavily detailed and modified.

It's getting to be something I'm not totally embarrassed to show.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/524360_516725725010482_299553547_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/281905_516725791677142_1197510487_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/378320_516725851677136_1990443543_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/564265_516728361676885_867314104_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/558748_516728398343548_1327771175_n.jpg
    Had to log in a new account due to the impossibility of getting my old account back.

After a long break I'm back at work. I was hoping that there'd be a version of blender that let me use cycles rendering with my video cards but looks like that's not happening.

Here are some views of the star trek universe inspired Hephaestus. I've done a lot to it lately. The lover hull was completely remodeled to give it a more elaborate sensor/scanner/deflector array on the front, I added a sensor array to the rear and separated the lower hull into two sections.

The interconnector was replaced completely with a dual part version, the engine nacelles have been heavily detailed and modified.

It's getting to be something I'm not totally embarrassed to show.

524360_516725725010482_299553547_n.jpg

281905_516725791677142_1197510487_n.jpg

378320_516725851677136_1990443543_n.jpg

564265_516728361676885_867314104_n.jpg

558748_516728398343548_1327771175_n.jpg
    Higher res view, blender's res settings had gotten lowered last time I installed:

415039_516755355007519_626783333_o.jpg
    97442.jpg
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    While the deflector is by far an interesting design, I feel that it doesn't follow the rest of the sleek lines of the ship. Perhaps something where instead of steps, it sleekens smoothly, still maintaining the ringlike look?
    Thanks for the feedback, James. I'm not sure how I'd make the array like that unless I redid the whole thing and kind of had a set up where it mostly looked off to the sides along the narrowing cone section. I was thinking it would have 3 sensor arrays, the blue parts, and one deflector array, the red thing. Each sensor array would be optimized for a certain bandwidth, like low, medium and high frequency to give a better resolution when the images were composited.

I may do a close up of the array since you think it's an interesting design, and I was going for a new slant on trek tech as the ship was supposed to be designed by a renegade who use fed tech as a base but didn't follow their design philosophy slavishly.

BTW, how do you like the engine nacelles?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Well, non-onscreen stuff made by Paramount suggests that subspace acts similar to fluids, so essentially it's not just areodynamics, but also hydrodynamics that define design.... That puts a totally new light on all the designs we know.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Well, non-onscreen stuff made by Paramount suggests that subspace acts similar to fluids, so essentially it's not just areodynamics, but also hydrodynamics that define design.... That puts a totally new light on all the designs we know.

Uh huh, sounds like an excuse to make ships look "cool". Also, if this were true how do borg cubes fly so damn fast?

I'm not too much into what 'paramount" says as they tend to go with whatever has the most audience appeal. I tend to stick with the original series a lot as at least it tried to have some science in it. Didn't always work, but at least they didn't throw out one technogibberish particle after another every week.

Even if we accept some sort of fluid medium, it would be the shape of the ship's warp field that mattered more. And again, borg cubes make some good speed.
    Borg cubes don't travel in subspace, but transwarp. They are outside of normal space.
    Borg cubes don't travel in subspace, but transwarp. They are outside of normal space.

But they are still able to pursue and attack ships moving at warp.
    Warp and transwarp overlap, allowing that. It's recommended that you do try to stick to cannon, so that the ship fits in with the rest of its era.
    For the deflector, perhaps just slant them to the aft just about 35degrees inward.

As for the nacelles, I like them!
    But canon changes with every movie, or sometimes every episode of a series. lazy writers don;t study the technical specs, make up a phantom particle of the week or a bit of dumb science that contradicts damn near everything because it makes their story work or it makes it possible to add a new ship or something else for the toy companies to make and sell.

Also they throw in whatever will make for some cool lighty glowey special effects to sell as eye candy.

I kind of like my ships to look like machines, like they were built and for them to have a certain functional look to them. I'm not a fan of the surreal, extruded look of the enterprise D. I liked the original and the original movie version. They had a definite mechanical look to them combined with some decent aesthetics.

D was about my least favorite enterprise, I liked the C and even the NX better in terms of looks. A lot of these new federation ships are meant to look more like italian sports cars than anything else.

BTW, thankls for the nacelle comment. I don't like the itty bitty engoine look, again I prefer the original and the movie version engine nacell to ship ratio. Voyagers engines, you gotta be kidding!
    IMG_20120904_215952.jpg

This is what I mean for the deflector. (Sorry bout the angle of the pic.) I don't believe it should be too hard to do.
    IMG_20120904_215952.jpg

This is what I mean for the deflector. (Sorry bout the angle of the pic.) I don't believe it should be too hard to do.

OH! I see now! Yes, that's cool! I don't know if I could do that without making a huge mess though. Thanks for taking the effort to sketch that out.

I'm trying to think how to do that. I could set a certain vetex as a pivot point and rotate the loop along that, but it would then make the loop "shorter" along the z axis unless I scaled it precisely. It might be doable, especially since I separated the rear hull into two sections. I might try it. I might be able to select a vert at the bottom of each loop and use a falloff effect to pull them at an angle...

If this board has a feedback system I'll try to leave you some good FB.

Edit: I'm trying to do this but it looks like I can't without redoing the entire bottom from scratch, and I'm not sure that's worth it.
    I worked on your idea for hours and got this:

272462_517615774921477_1105074892_o.jpg

324401_517615844921470_608101984_o.jpg

202669_517615911588130_40201723_o.jpg

I made the sensor arrays red, green and blue to reflect each one being specialized in a specific frequency band and optimized to detect things in that band range. I also added sensors along the sides of the array while I was at it as I'd thought about that while I was working on it at first.
    97472.jpg97473.jpg97474.jpg
    Much better, it makes it sleeker. I like the idea of the multiple bands. It definitely adds thought to not only the design, but the reason behind it.
    I am that kind of designer. I put things on a ship for a reason, they have to do something, not just look cool. Everything on something I design has a purpose, it does something.

Kind of like how GR designed the original enterprise.
    278210_518472551502466_42699396_o.jpg

Detailing the sensor array. Also learned to use edge creases instead of loop cuts in blender for sharp edges. Anyone know any good tutorials for edge creasing in blender?

The detail to the sensor array is really making the ship look better, IMO.
    97498.jpg
    Ooh! The detailing does make a difference! Very nice!

Now, the deflector itself is the white one for now, right?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Borg ships are build to withstand enemies, not to be fuel-efficient. Who cares about a wasting crapload of fuel, just to outspeed others, if you've so much ressources at hand like they have anyway?
    Besides, they're far more advanced, so likely, their engines are just better at propelling ships. A TNG ship is technically faster than a TOS ship, because they use a different warp-scale. And why? Because they had technological advances over the past (in-verse) 70 years, so what if the Borg are also using a different, faster scale. What if the Federation equivalent of warp 9.8 (D's highest speed at extreme risk) is equal to a Borg warp speed of 5.6 or whateveryawant?
    Or what if they found a way to avoid this whol issue, by some weird treknobabble stuff?

Botom line is: You cannot argue with the Borg, everything is irrelevant to them and they're too advanced to be counted as a solid point of reference. After all, look at the Voth, the only other spiecies that is also employing transwarp and might very well be even more advanced than the Borg (though certainly not on levels of mental openness), even they use aero-/hydrodynamic ships.
    Ooh! The detailing does make a difference! Very nice!

Now, the deflector itself is the white one for now, right?

Yes, the middle part is the deflector.

Finished the array, had a hard time mirroring the ship, had to turn off the merge option due to vertex proximity.

615830_518558571493864_943845118_o.jpg
    97500.jpg
    Aresius wrote: »
    Borg ships are build to withstand enemies, not to be fuel-efficient. Who cares about a wasting crapload of fuel, just to outspeed others, if you've so much ressources at hand like they have anyway?
    Besides, they're far more advanced, so likely, their engines are just better at propelling ships. A TNG ship is technically faster than a TOS ship, because they use a different warp-scale. And why? Because they had technological advances over the past (in-verse) 70 years, so what if the Borg are also using a different, faster scale. What if the Federation equivalent of warp 9.8 (D's highest speed at extreme risk) is equal to a Borg warp speed of 5.6 or whateveryawant?

Or what if they found a way to avoid this whol issue, by some weird treknobabble stuff?

Botom line is: You cannot argue with the Borg, everything is irrelevant to them and they're too advanced to be counted as a solid point of reference. After all, look at the Voth, the only other spiecies that is also employing transwarp and might very well be even more advanced than the Borg (though certainly not on levels of mental openness), even they use aero-/hydrodynamic ships.

I quit watching voyager after it became the jeri ryan tits, ass and attitude hour. So I don't get the voth reff. Were they the "liquid space" race the borg were afraid of? I watched an ep with ray walston playing one. I watched it because I liked ray walston.

Really, voyager degenerated into utter gibberish that just made me groan given my scientific background. Then it spat on everything GR wanted trek to be by making the show's message "I can talk to you like you crawled out from under a rock because I'm blonde and have big tits!"

Again, from the science as established in the original series, the ship travels in a bubble of warped space produced by the warp engines. The shape of the field is what matters. All this subspace jargon was just used to justify making the ships look surreal.

I understand that Gene Roddenberry wanted to make star trek less about war in space and to make starfleet a non military organization, in fact he had piccard say in one ep that starfleet was not a military organization, and he wanted to make the ships look non aggressive and non violent, so he went with the flowing, graceful, ethereal look. OK, but that's aesthetics and not technology, the jargon was just added to justify it even though it made no technical sense. I wish they had just said the feds designed their ships to look non violent and non aggressive, like the way they turned the hand phasers into dust busters to look less violent and aggressive. I.E. not like guns.

I also seem to recall from voyager, or at least hearing about it, that a race called the hirogen used very blocky ships that could overtale voyager. Again, I quit watching voyager after being unable to stand seeing it turned into the jeri ryan no talent show.

I also remember some rather chunky looking klingon vessels from TNG and DS9, like their big battleship that moves at a decent speed.

As a note on the Hephaestus' engines, the side engines are called "Marching engines" and are configured for maximum fuel efficiency because the Hephaestus was an independent ship. They are efficient but max out at warp 7. The center engine is the boost engine, it's only used for high speed and is configured for speed over efficiency. With it Hephaestus can supercruise at a speed equal to an intrepid class and sustain warp 9.8 for brief periods.

Also, the Hephaestus was designed with combat in mind and her engines, which are much larger in proportion to her overall volume than most TNG era ships, can take heavy damage and still remain functional. And the designer didn't care if people thought the design didn't look peaceful or non violent enough. Her upper saucer is meant to detach and land on a planet to provide disaster relief and emergency aid, that's why it's heavily armored on the upper half, to help resist attack while providing disaster relief since a lot of disasters are of intentional origin.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    The best part of this is how you layered the forward section of the secondary hulls to suggest heat sinks and other tech. I'd like to see more of that.