Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Questions about 3dsMax materials and UVW vs collapse

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
I am trying to figure out how to attribute multiples materials to a same object. During my experimentation I found some things. At first I was trying to put manually each materiel and set an ID, one by one...but I found out you can use the multi/channel material and set the ID there. Faster this way I guess.

Now my question is: On my edit/poly objects I can bring a UVW map on a SET ID 1, then another one on SET ID2 (Or channel). Is it better to not collapse all those UVW maps ? Because I tried once and it screw everything when I tried to add another UVW map (After the collapse). Or you only collapse those when everything is finished ?

The second question: I had an object that had 5 instances that were in 2 groups. I was texturing the first one, no problem. At one moment I collapsed my UVW map, and after that any changes on the first object didn't reflect on the other ones...Is that a bug or a normal behavior of the collapse option ?
Post edited by komaro on

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    Once you collapse a object stack it becomes unique. So that is how it works when working instances. Bit of a pain but shrug.

As for mat IDs and UVW ID they are a bit different from each other. To use say UVW ID2 or channel 2 you'll need to define this in the map. "Map Channel" Collapsing the stack shouldn't affect prior channel settings. Depending how you apply other UVWs new channels shouldn't affect older ones. It also depends what your after.
    I still apply new material IDs by selecting faces etc, since not all the time is setting a default Mat ID and applying the base multi mat to an object will result in consistent results. Long and short you still have to apply the mat IDs by hand. Either that being setting the # or by applying the material directly.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I still apply new material IDs by selecting faces etc, since not all the time is setting a default Mat ID and applying the base multi mat to an object will result in consistent results.

Yah, I remember now I had that problem before on another project. Completely forgot about it.

Thanks. I didn't really know what was happening when the collapse option was coming in play. I am gonna save my project and do more work on UVW vs channel.

The mechanic in C4D was simpler, since you could do a selection set, put the material in, and choose the type of UVW projection. It seems in 3DSmax the part of the type of projection is separate from the rest. More touchy I guess...