Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Odyssey

ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2012 in Work in Progress #1
For those who haven't seen the Space Stallions video yet, do. It got me thinking about Ulysses 31 and then after going through some of it (it's cheesy but remarkably watchable!) I realised how awesome the Odyssey actually is as a spaceship.

The first episode also has some great shots of it. The only trouble is, with it being animated it's a bit difficult to really get to grips with what it "really" looks like, so I'm filling in the blanks as best as I can.

Engines_1.jpg

Engines_2.jpg
93515.jpg
Post edited by Armondikov on
Tagged:

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I loved this show!! Looking great so far :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Shades of Foss...
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    I also remember this show. A Sc-ifi setting for a mythological story was a nice idea. You've got a hard task ahead, given the reference material available but you're off to a good start! :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Ditto, this is going to be a tricky one to say the least, but I guess that less than reliable reference frees you up to use a little creative license with those details you can't get solid reference for, either way I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, looks like you've made a great start with these first engine details, reminds me a little of the Nostromo.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    It's drawn a little funny in places but I'm slowly figuring it out, everything pieces together quite nicely, I think. Noticing the flaps around the engines in that shot was a big leap in this section, though how the details behind those monsters work out is still a little puzzling. I think I can make it symmetrical and play with the depth a little to reproduce what is drawn fairly well. I'm currently up to ep4 and the whole show seems scattered with a lot of close-ups of certain sections that I might be able to use, but currently I'm focusing on what appears first and building it in that order and it seems these side engines have nice shots early on.
    Some really nice shots of the core and lower half in the second episode.

Eye_1.jpg

Eye_2.jpg

Eye_3.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    the first image with the referacen of the lower half the modellled lower half is incorect the part hthat is connecting to the ball is at a slant while urs is straight and it goes all the way to the edge
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    A highly impressive start on one of my all time favourite shows. I actually still watch this from time to time and I seriously wish the original company would release it on bluray and really get the picture clean and crisp.

I'll certainly be watching this thread closely.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Love what you're doing with the eye, nice detailing.
    MajorPayne wrote: »
    A highly impressive start on one of my all time favourite shows. I actually still watch this from time to time and I seriously wish the original company would release it on bluray and really get the picture clean and crisp.

Yeah, I'm currently stuck with the 240p stuff on YouTube, which means a lot of guesswork but rendering out the side-by-sides as above help. I'm going to comp them together, look at it, then kinda scribble corrections on the renders and implement them. There's only so much you can do tabbing back and forth between a YouTube clip and Modeler!
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Ulyseeeeeee-eeeeeee-eeeeee-eeeeeee-sssssssss no-one else can do the things you do-ooo....

Very cool. What a blast from the past. Definitely one of the better kids cartoon shows.
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,020Member
    YEEEEESSSSSS!!

What a great show. :thumb:

Thanks man, great work. :thumb:
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    franco japaneese colaboration. script and stories were sent from france to japan where they were hand drawn under french supervision.
    i dont remember who made the designs.

good to see the odiseus.
    i hope to see that 3 part shuttlecraft too :D that design was awsome
  • perilousperilous171 Posts: 0Member
    oh wow i used to love this show ! :-) respect is due
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    yep, that was one of my favourites too!

if my memory serves me right, i had rebuilt the little shuttlecraft with lego, fully functional :D
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    It is great to see a none star wars / star trek model being made for a change. I like what you have done so far. :)