Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalLarge Blood Angels Terminator

• cassarcassar0 Posts: 7Member
    Hey Meph my first time back on this site in ages I have to say the big lads coming on great guns love what you are doing with the paint. Having read through some of the earier posts behind the head niche is hollow im not sure how much space there is but if you were using watch type batteries it wouldnt be a problem i think you could cut the rear vents out and replace them with a simular flip hatch for access, or just make that a requirement on the rest of the squad ;) lol.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    All hail the Sculptor! Ave Cassar! :D

What, you mean like, make the bugger light up? Glowy eyes and sensors, and a tiny sound system that spouts cheesy oneliners in a bass voice? Now that would be awesome. :D
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Have you seen the mods where people have hollowed out FW squiggoths and stuck speakers and mp3 players inside? Ostensibly so that they can have a cooler walkman, but also so that they can load dinosaur roars onto it and use them in a game. Awesome. If you like that sort of thing.
    you like tinkering with that sort of thing Meph so why not, milliputs a very forgiving substance, most things can be reversed if they have to be ;)
    Never seen a tricked-out squiggoth like that, a lot of fancy tanks with lights and RC controls and the like. Cool stuff.

But Cassar, seriously, I could never, ever, turn a dremel on the great sculpt. the risk of the thing breaking in half is almost overwhelming. This one will stay analogue... :D
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    No reason why you couldn't put some sort of audio system into whatever base plate/stand you make to mount him on, if cheesy quips are something you are interested in. It's going to have to be something fairly substantial to fit that bloke anyway I would think. There are plenty of suitable voice clips you could cull from the various games.
    just as long as they arent clips from the ultramarines movie "Caw luva duc me old china, we will know no fear, now what abaaart a good old cockney knees up" lol the most shocking choice of voice over ever.
    ROFL :lol: Or how about a good selection of random Schwarzie quotes?

"Butt doze peepel need eeyah!"
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    cassar wrote: »
    just as long as they arent clips from the ultramarines movie "Caw luva duc me old china, we will know no fear, now what abaaart a good old cockney knees up" lol the most shocking choice of voice over ever.

Marines MUST have British accents. It's the law.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Its always a pleasure to watch you apply your awesome painting skills, Meph.
    The voice work is probably down the list of things that were wrong with the Ultramarines movie.
    Cheers RW, long time no hear!

Ah yes the Ultramarine movie. I do have a love-hate relationship with it... the thing that bothered me the most was the weirdness of their walk...
    Hey, Meph- where is the update? You make these thinks look real- I wonder...are you by chance a Ma.K fan as well? Would love to see your first-rate paint apps on a suit...
    Well, I've been a bit blocked by the weather actually. It's been -6A° here during the day over the past few weeks so I can't really open the terrace door to airbrush. :(
    I hope to do a quick session tomorrow after work so I can seal the model with Klear. Once that's done I can stay indoors and work with some oil paints. :D
    I've also done some finishing touches to the tactical and devastator squads, the Land Raider, and the Razorback. The dirt areas only need a few layers of Klear as any can-sprayed varnish just frosts up the weathering powders.

Ma.K? Doesn't ring a bell but it am intruiged. What that all aboot? :D
    Yeah, the weather is hemming everyone in at the momment.

Ask and you shall receive... http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/joomla/
    Oh, very cool stuff. That WW2 sci-fi is always cool.
    I like this one a lot: Taco Beetle

I've also had my eye on this one for a while now... :P
    MIG Walking Tank

And in a bout of madness, I actually bought this one already. At heavily reduced cost due to a Chinese New Year promotion (Year of the Dragon). Best. Dragon. Ever.
    Cang The Implacable
    That is frickin' AWESOME. I mean WOW!
    Cheers mate!

Yesterday I started with the oil paints and messed up a bit. Something went wrong with the paint/turpentine mix as it looks a bit flakey when drying out. I used a mix i had left over from the vehicles and small marines and I just added some more paint and turpentine to the little pot. After shaking like crazy for a while, it looked like the wash had mixed properly, but when drying out all the pigment went a bit grainy and looks as it just 'floated' at random over the surfaces, not clinging to the nooks & crannies as usual.

I never had that problem. And it's the same paint and turpentine as before... And it's not the first time either that I've kept a premade mix like that for a long period on end without using it. Really odd. I think I'm going to give the model a good rubdown with a cloth damp of turpentine and a cotton swab and try again. (lol, now read that sentence again from a fashion perspective).
    There are also some areas of which I feel they would benefit more from an acrylic ink wash, such as the armour joints.

But for now, behold the pictures of shame!! See the horror of free roaming pigment and strange gray discoloration!

IMG_4686.JPG
    That is really odd. I don't know enough about washes to offer any usefull information, could it simply be old or bad turpentine? Wish I could help.:(

But anyway...good to see more work on this awesome model my friend. You will have the issue settled right as rain in no time.:)
    Cheers mate, thanks for the vote of confidence. :D
    Well, the current working theory is that the varnish, whilst dry, maybe didn't cure long enough and interacted with the oil paint. Yesterday I cleaned everything off with a turpentine damp cloth, and today will be the retry.

As for basing, that's still on the drawing board. One choice might be to take up and offer from a mate here on SFM who has a 3D printer! Though that would mean I'd have to dust off my 3D Studio Max wizardy again...

I have three possible idea's at the moment.
    -A 'generic' battle scene base, mud/dirt, some rubble, a puddle, maybe a pipe.
    -A busted through wall or bulkhead, metal sheared open by chain and fist.
    -The front end of a Land Raider. Maybe I can contact some people I know who have wicked 40K models in 3D. (Binkerman, Binkerman, Binkerman :D) I could use a 'cutoff' piece of the open front ramp as a background. But that might be a bit too huge as it would mean that the front end of a Land Raider to scale might as big as an A4 piece of paper...
    A disembodied section of vehicle would look kind of weird I would think. Not to mention probably distract far too much from the actual figure. A Land Raider in proper scale with the Termie (i.e. big enough to actually fit him in properly, not just relative to the undersized tabletop miniature) would be freaking enormous.

Rather than your traditional urban/outdoor warfare environment, you could maybe do something like a Space Hulk setting. Too bad you don't have a couple of in-scale Genestealers.
    The LR thing would be overdoing to waaay too much indeed.
    A space hulk theme sounds nice, with some corrugated/patterned plating to walk on with some pipes running underneath. But then again I don't want to block off too much of the model by adding a solid side or back wall to convey the cramped spaces....

Another thought... A brick wall which he smashed through, with some sci-fi retro propaganda posters of cultists (chaos or genestealer) that give a good hint that the Marines are cleaning up a cult uprising the hard way?
    Yeah I thought about the smashed wall idea, but I figured that would need to be pretty big as well to include enough non-giant hole bits. Plus the Termie would need to be doused in a layer of dust/grit to make it look like he actually just burst through a wall, covering up all your paint work.
    Crossed my mind as well actually... Especially considering the sheer size of this thing, it won't be easy to come up with something a bit dynamic and storytelling without it being too big.

Random thought: a kicked in door? Hmmmm... :-/
    Other random thought; a piece of beautiful mozaic floor, clearly cracked under the weight of the termy, and a muddy footprint or two behind it, clearly showing the light mini-craters where he walked?
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Meph wrote: »
    -Maybe I can contact some people I know who have wicked 40K models in 3D. (Binkerman, Binkerman, Binkerman :D) I could use a 'cutoff' piece of the open front ramp as a background....

Say my name 3 times and I appear ? ... I'm not bloody Beetlejuice damn it ..... To summon me correctly, you have to use the Magic Lamp, ... and be sure to remember these words while you rub the side of it ....

"From the Land Beyond Beyond ...... From a World Past Hope and Fear, ......... I Bid You Binkerman, ... Now Appear !!! "

You don't have the Magic Lamp ? ..... Ohh well, you're buggered then :D .....

Jas
    Wouldn't we just need to perform the appropriate ritual while offering up a host body for you to posses? Don't get too cheeky or we'll have no choice but to have an Inquisitor forcibly bind you.
    lol! :D I may not have a magic lamp but I can offer up twopence to a cockney harlot to come and polish a knob. " 'Ellow guv'na! Whotsalldisden? Oi wos payed to sommon up a genie, oi wos!"

On the other hand, I do like DCB's thought of a bound host. It seems only practical to have you nearby in times of need...

But back on the basing-train-o'-thought...
    I would like to introduce at least one element in the base that conveys a good sense of scale and size. Another though I had was a cobblestone street, with part of a wall with door and window that are normal human sized. But again, considering the size of the model, this might be too much.
    i like this base, ruined stairs yours would benefit from a smaller wall so as not to block the all around view
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/166110?browseid=564733
    If you were going to do something like that, you could have him standing in a half-ruined archway or something, so he has something to frame him but the back is essentially still completely open.

I don't think you can flare out from the base like that one though, as this sucker is going to need a big flat base to prevent it tipping over.

By the way, GW put out a broken aquila as part of the "Honoured Imperium" terrain set. It looks to be enormous, as it is meant to be some giant piece of building. Might be worth a look at. The set also includes a Marine statue, which would be interesting to see scale-wise next to the Termie.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/slipwing/Terrain/007.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/slipwing/Terrain/005-1.jpg
    That's a good idea actually, broken stairs with an arch or pillar. Hmmm unless you have freakishly small hands, that eagle looks to be the size of roughly a full hand, so that would be a perfect thing to put at the bottom of some stairs.

Ok... current mental image: A broken mozaic eagle on the floor, some curved, concave circular steps with the termy on top, and a broken arch or pillar next to him. And on the steps a fallen, half burnt flag of a Genesetaler cult depicting a four-armed emperor.

Oh, and that would make that 'giant' statue about the size of the Terminator's legs... ^^