Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Bump maps vs modeling

scaramangascaramanga331 Posts: 0Member
I've been modeling for quite a while now. Usually starships :D

But what I've never gotten a knack for was the modeling of deflector grid lines on the hull. I make a mess of things with the cut tool :lol:

I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be more smart to do the grid lines with bump maps. However, my maps don't look that sharp once applied to my model.

Anyone got any tips? (on either issue).
Post edited by scaramanga on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Well, bump mapped panel lines have some distinct advantages, for example modeled grids at medium to long distances might disappear completely, unless you use a lot of anti aliasing. Texture filtering is much quicker than anti aliasing. There also is a big disadvantage though, you have to unwrap the model and make the bump maps :p

Modeling the grid lines can be time consuming, by being meticulous and putting an extra edgeloop around things you cut in, you can pretty much eliminate all smoothing problems and messiness. I have a link to a tut in my signature where you can see how I cut my stuff :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I find the hardest bit about modeling grids is translating them into 3D space, most people think of them as 2D, for example modeling their profile from top down and stencilling them through just that one axis, for curvy hulls this doesn't always give the right result, I find you often need to model them with a spline in full 3D space and boolean that

I wouldn't bump map them because unless you can find a really novel way of UVing them you'll need a really high res map for them to look any good, and that can get quite inefficient
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    lol, just ptex them in mari
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    A normal map might by chance help a bit more than a bump map. They're better at catching details like that sometimes. Just a thought.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    The way I do my grid lines (and this works for all shapes of lines that I have had to do) is to select the polys of one of the panels. I do a slight extrude inner on the panel. I move to the next panel and do the same thing. Once all panels have been completed, I do a loop select of all the panel lines. Next, a slight negative extrude so the panel lines go inwards. I also apply a darker hull color to the panel lines so they do show up from a distance. One other thing I have done is to bevel each panel so that it catches light and shadows which helps make things stand out even more.

Al