Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationMylex' Star Trek projects

• mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    edited January 2022 #62
    Next preview, the first torpedo shot

Post edited by mylex on
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Wow, awesome! Your shots fit right in there and.look great!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks great. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    That's a nice twist. :D
    I had the idea to create a little teaser of my current project, so here is the result
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Very nice.
    Enjoyed that a lot.
    Hm, that's fascinating to say the least.
    I like the voice-overplay, as if all were spoken by Richardo Montalban (how did you synthesise his voice so perfectly? I doub't you're blessed with such a great voice, please forgive me if I am wrong...).

I'll be looking forward for that.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Hm, that's fascinating to say the least.
    I like the voice-overplay, as if all were spoken by Richardo Montalban (how did you synthesise his voice so perfectly? I doub't you're blessed with such a great voice, please forgive me if I am wrong...).

I'll be looking forward for that.

This is the original sound of the cinematic trailer of ST II. I cutted the sound by myself to the length of the clip and deleted the spoken words "the wrath of khan" by the narrator and replaced it with the right part of the soundtrack. It was a little bit tricky but the resilt was not bad.
    :)
    Indeed. :)
    edited January 2022 #71
    Now at the end of the animation there are the tricky shots, the destruction of the Reliant.

After some tests I decided to work with several stock explosion combined with layered alpha channel bitmap instead of using particle systems.

First shot you can see here

Post edited by mylex on
    That looks great. :D
    That looks great. :D

Thanks, that was two hard days of work for 5 seconds video ;)
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    mylex wrote: »

5 seconds of really cool video.
    Nice job, though I have some thoughts on it.

It takes a while for the ship to veer off, but the hit was, apart from being a direct hit to the torpedo-launcher filled with explosives, directly above the impulse engines, so the loss of a steady course would've been faster.

Also, why is it that everytime you hit a ship, it dives downwards, even if the momentum would be counteractive to that?
    Think of it: What would happen if in total 0g, you'd hit a miniature car on the upper back roof? It's propelled forward, but do backflip sommersaults. Because the inertial momentum for the forwards speed continues, but the hits own force is directed towards the bottom aft of the car.
    If you strike the right mudguard with a hit from right, it'll spin clockwise towards the left and so forth.

I know. That's why I don't animate much. :lol:
    Aresius wrote: »
    Nice job, though I have some thoughts on it.

It takes a while for the ship to veer off, but the hit was, apart from being a direct hit to the torpedo-launcher filled with explosives, directly above the impulse engines, so the loss of a steady course would've been faster.

Also, why is it that everytime you hit a ship, it dives downwards, even if the momentum would be counteractive to that?
    Think of it: What would happen if in total 0g, you'd hit a miniature car on the upper back roof? It's propelled forward, but do backflip sommersaults. Because the inertial momentum for the forwards speed continues, but the hits own force is directed towards the bottom aft of the car.
    If you strike the right mudguard with a hit from right, it'll spin clockwise towards the left and so forth.

You're complete right, if you're consider the physics. There are no explosions like this and no gravity.
    I create it like space scenes in movies and there all is a little bit different :)

But we can talk about the movement of the Reliant, I check the render and saw a little acceleration which is not so good for this shot, I'll fix this.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Something I remembered from long ago. I think Starlog did a ST II special that used some FX stills that were not actually in the movie. One of these showed an initial Enterprise phaser strike on the torpedo pod before it was hit with Enterprises torp. Also, there was an alternate still of the phaser hit on Enterprise's torpedo hit from Reliant. Lastly--on the cover itself, the Reliant was streming a bloodlike plasma from the nacelle stump instead of the sparkles we see in the movie.

But so help me--I swear I saw the Enterprise phaser hit reliants roll bar when watching the movie in theatres--with kirk yelling 'fire' a time or two more. Bad memories again I suppose...
  • MeztliMeztli0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm new to this site, your work is very impressive. What software do you use to create models and animate?
    Meztli wrote: »
    I'm new to this site, your work is very impressive. What software do you use to create models and animate?

Thanks buddy

I'm just an animator, using finished model of some great mesh builders like Dennis Bailey and Raul Mamoru. I'm working with 3DS MAX, Premiere and After Effects CS5.
    edited January 2022 #82
    A few days ago I started a bigger project and call it "Attack of the Klingons". The video will be also a combination of CG and movie elements like my last one the Mutara Battle.

First part is the leaving spacedock sequence known as "Stealing the Enterprise" of Star Trek III, second part is a battle with a Klingon Bird of Prey and some footage of Star Trek V.

A preview of the opening you can watch here:

Post edited by mylex on
    First shot inside the Dock
    93493.jpg
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    A preview of the opening you can watch here:

Just in case the plug in isnt worked, here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTPKbe17AU
    Another shot from the Dock inside
    93494.jpg
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Oooo. That's a sweet shot. :D
    Two more shots of the departure
    93495.jpg93496.jpg
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    All the Spacedock shots look pretty good, but the tone is a little grey (well, quite grey). Maybe brighten things just a little and add more of a blue tint? I don't know how much you're trying to match the look of the movies, but I think the heavy blue tint they used in TSfS's shots breathed a lot of life and airiness into what could have been quite a claustrophobic place. The way it was lit later on may have looked more realistic, but it was rather sullen.
    Pearse wrote: »
    All the Spacedock shots look pretty good, but the tone is a little grey (well, quite grey). Maybe brighten things just a little and add more of a blue tint? I don't know how much you're trying to match the look of the movies, but I think the heavy blue tint they used in TSfS's shots breathed a lot of life and airiness into what could have been quite a claustrophobic place. The way it was lit later on may have looked more realistic, but it was rather sullen.

The shots are direct out of MAX, in the final animation I'm using a color filter to add more contrast and a little more blue look. Wait for the second animation preview.
    Another two shots, second animation preview follows next week
    93497.jpg93498.jpg
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Gotta say, I love human perspective shots. Just like your other animations, too awesome. :D