Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender problem with sharing files

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
I'm stumped. For some reason when I try to share a blender file with another computer, the other computer cannot open the file by clicking on the file icon. After Blender opens, I can then go and find the file and open it, but even if I save the file under a new name, the file does not open when you click on the file icon. I need to get this fixed if I am going to try to upload any more meshes to this site. Can anyone help?
Post edited by Polaris 004 on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    What's wrong with just opening it through the menu? That's how I always open files in Blender.

Possible problems: Is the other computer using a different OS than your main rig? Are they using the same version of Blender? Are the files in the same place (IE: Documents folder) on both computers? I don't know a lot about Blender, I know how make some basic stuff, how to apply textures and materials and how to render. So, those are my suggestions for possible culprits, based on my knowledge of computers in general.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    What's wrong with just opening it through the menu? That's how I always open files in Blender.

Possible problems: Is the other computer using a different OS than your main rig? Are they using the same version of Blender? Are the files in the same place (IE: Documents folder) on both computers? I don't know a lot about Blender, I know how make some basic stuff, how to apply textures and materials and how to render. So, those are my suggestions for possible culprits, based on my knowledge of computers in general.

Well, when users try to open the downloaded files, and it doesn't work, many of them will assume the files don't work. They might not think of trying to open the files from inside the program. I packed all the texture files into the .blend file, and I know I have done this several times before, but I can't get it to work now. I think I must have changed some setting to foul this all up, but I can't find anything that makes a difference. I wonder if it would be worth trying to re-install Blender. Of course then I would have to figure out how to install python again. P.I.T.A.
    Python is easy to install. Just go to the Python website and download the latest version. Then uninstall the version you have installed and install the new one. However, I don't see why you'd even have to reinstall Python to reinstall Blender, since Python isn't a part of Blender, it's just a programming language that Blender uses to perform certain tasks.

I just opened your Kittyhawk .blend file in Blender 2.60a and it works beautifully for me. But, I did it from inside the program.
    I just opened the Kittyhawk file by double clicking on the icon. It opened like a champ. I don't know why others are having problems with this. I'm running Blender 2.60a and my OS is Xubuntu 11.10.
    Huh. Weird.

I'm going to be uploading version 1.42 of this mesh, and it will have a few more windows and a couple texture differences. Not a big difference, but you might want to download that one instead...
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Here it goes a thread where you can see a conversation about the problem we are talking about: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?42523-help-hardrive-letter-change-confuses-Blender. It isnA’t a new problem, appears it is some sort of bug, and there is described a workaround. Hope that it solves the problem. ;)
    Back to the old times when I was an IT tech. :D
    Solution almost found!
    Let me explain how... My S.O is Vista X64. I had Blender 2.49 without Phyton) installed, and 2.60 (with Python) too.
    2.49 was in the folder under "Arquivos de Programas (X86)" and 2.60 was under the folder "Program Files", which serves programas wrote for 64 bits.
    First, I uninstalled 2.49 and later the 2.60. All Blender folders were deleted and then 2.60 was reinstalled.
    After that, when using the menu to open the file, the Excelsior (which remains in disk "J") was loaded without any errors, and I done a FBX export, which resulted in a file of 126 mb with no textures at all... The max imported file was unusable. Oppened Blender again, this time using "open recent" and.... SURPRISE.... the error is there again. Weird phenomena: I canA’t see the cursor!
    In this moment, IA’m restarting my pc. Wait a little for more tests! :o

In the meantime, I leave with you usefull blender plugins: http://www.rendering3d.net/ ;)
    After to restart the PC, the old "no disk..." error remains. No matter how I try to open the file.
    Again, uninstalled Blender and deleted all Blender folders. Nothing was saved. I also see the excelsior file had the time stamp changed and a blend1 file was in the folder, so, both deleted too. :D
    After a new restart and Blender fresh install, with the Excelsior folder this time placed in disk "c", openned the file and... NO ERRORS! So... I did a 3ds export and after to import the file in 3ds max 9, I got the message "Improper file format"... Openned Blender again but, when loading the Excelsior, there is the old error again S***!
    Already forgot... after all those errors the browser performance slow down, but I canA’t understand the reason why....

ItA’s to late (01:00 AM) and IA’m tired... Need to work at 07:00 AM, so, IA’ll stop here.
    Looks like Blender has a DAMMIT and BIG bug!!!!!!!!!!!

SFM is blocked at my work, so, keep me updated if you find news. My e-mail is in my profile. ;)
    Thanks for trying to figure this out for me. How annoying this all is. I messed around for a few hours, but I made no real progress with it. Bleh.
    OK, for the sake of testing, I downloaded and installed Blender for Windows. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and I tried the Kittyhawk.blend file on 3 different "drives," Drive C, (hard drive) Drive D (same hard drive, different partition) and Drive G (flash drive.) I double clicked the file in all 3 locations and it still opens in Blender as it should. I have Blender 2.60a and no Python installed.
    Weird!! :mad:

Chris, can you do me a favor and generate obj, fbx and 3ds exports? IA’ll try a conversion for 3ds max.
    In advance, a BIG thank you!
    I can try. I'm not that familiar with Blender, so I make no promises. (I think I've used it to export to .obj before. :shiner:)
    You wonA’t believe...

My inspiration came after to read the last post in this thread:
    http://club.myce.com/f88/there-no-disk-drive-please-insert-disk-into-drive-184900/

I removed my usb flash drive and openned Blender... The error has gone! All is working fine! Man, I never saw a so strange error!

Next step: trying to export it to max. :D
    Like this one. There are a few flipped faces, but they are all there. :)
    Hey Polaris, now I need the texture files to finish the job....

EDITED: Already figured for myself how to extract teh textures. :D
    92285.jpg92286.jpg
    So, I can delete the .obj, .3ds and .fbx exports that I did earlier. :shiner: (at least I hadn't uploaded them to the web yet)

Please explain how to extract the textures. I was trying to open the .obj export in trueSpace earlier and it kept telling me I was missing the textures. I'll still wind up rendering it in Blender, I just wanted to see how it looks in trueSpace. (morbid curiosity ;))
    I wonder if pulling the usb connection to the back up hard drive will solve the problem on my other computer...

Glad you guys figured that one out. I'm glad you figured it out, cause I've been too bust to really mess with it. Keep me posted on what you guys do with her. I'm getting my Bastion Class ready to upload as well.
    So, I can delete the .obj, .3ds and .fbx exports that I did earlier. :shiner: (at least I hadn't uploaded them to the web yet)

Please explain how to extract the textures. I was trying to open the .obj export in trueSpace earlier and it kept telling me I was missing the textures. I'll still wind up rendering it in Blender, I just wanted to see how it looks in trueSpace. (morbid curiosity ;))

Excuse me for that Chris! When I ask you about the exports, I donA’t have perpective to solve the problem.:runs: IA’m happy that I found a way. :)

Hey, but if you still have the files, I would like to see if they turned out better than mine. Can you share? :D

To extract the textures is a piece of cake! :D Just click in File --> External Data --> Unpack into files --> Write Files to current directory. ;)
    Thanks for the help with extracting the files. I'll try that later. :)

I'll pack up those conversions and upload them and then send you a link in a PM. Fortunately, I'm lazy, so I haven't done anything with them yet. ;)
    Well, I feel the idiot. It seems like Blender couldn't open that file from a network share directory. All I had to do was put the file on the second computer's desktop and it opened perfectly. Sheez. All that stress for nothing. :D
    ItA’s weird anyway. Think that an usb drive is a harddisk and do not open a file cause this... Man, it is one of the biggest bugs that I ever seen in a software...
    About the network drive, In windows, I usually do a "map network drive" before to connect to a external drive. It already saved me from a few problems. But, as an old statement says: "Living and learning". :D
    The 3ds Max conversion isnA’t finished, but itA’s going well. :)
    92579.jpg
    Starship wrote: »
    The 3ds Max conversion isnA’t finished, but itA’s going well. :)

Yay! That's looking great. I'm so glad you're doing that.
    Thanks!
    I found errors over the gridA’s saucer, maybe due to the conversion process. In distance shots, you canA’t see them, but in close shots... So, trying to replace that piece, i figured the complex way you textured it. You had to much patience! :) IA’ll have to figure a workaround... ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    Thanks!
    I found errors over the gridA’s saucer, maybe due to the conversion process. In distance shots, you canA’t see them, but in close shots... So, trying to replace that piece, i figured the complex way you textured it. You had to much patience! :) IA’ll have to figure a workaround... ;)

Can you show me where the errors are? I'll have a look and see if they need to be fixed on the blender file. (They probably do. Occasionally I will make a mistake and accidentily merge verticies that should not be merged. It happens on the shield grids because the verticies end up very, very close together. I see a fix for that in the new version of Blender, though.)

My texturing method is actually not too difficult in Blender. (The hard part was figuring the technique out.) I'm just selecting faces by materials and giving each material a slightly different texture treatment. But I can see where that might be a bitch to convert...

My modeling computer's being rebuilt, so I haven't been around much. Hopefully I'll be back at it in a week or so... Can't wait to see if you can make the conversion work...
    Yes, the trouble is with the grids. There is a "wall" standing in the center of all grids, and there are connection issues in his ends.
    ItA’s 03:00 AM here... I need to sleep. :argh:
    Here it goes the new saucer and textures made by me. ;)
    92759.jpg