Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Help with a Star Trek Short film

SteveNeillSteveNeill0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2011 in Looking for... #1
This is an open post to members of the CGI Star Trek modeling and VFX community.
Some of you may be familiar with my past posts on what I have called my A“Enterprise Project.A”

This may bore some of you to tears so jump ahead if you know all this already.
Back a year ago I started a project to build large scale 66 inch practical model of the TOS Enterprise. I scratch built all the masters based on the Gary Kerr plans and help and input from my friend Doug Drexler.

The build was detailed and documented in a now 47 part series via reality style TV and shown on You Tube. I had so much support and help from the fans it occurred to me to do something more with the model than merely putting it in my office and move on. A finish to the journey shared by some many on the net for the last year. Part 48A…the movie.

I have been working in visual effects-creature making-makeup effects miniatures and CGI for 35 years. I worked on Star Trek the Motion picture and did SpockA’s ears among other things. I later worked on TNG and Star Trek VI.

I thought it would be fun to actually use the model in a film. Put it into space. One thing leads to another and I decided to put myself on the Bridge. I built a screen accurate Command chair, a CGI Bridge set, had a tunic made, props and more.

It wasnA’t enough to be on the bridge and thank everyone that supported me and loved Star Trek as much as I do. It needed a story. So I wrote a script and my wife Gilly, a screen writer re-wrote it and improved and embellished it. Now we had 27 VFX shots, acting, Romulans, Space stations and battles with pieces of constitution class ships tumbling in space a blaze and a whole lot more. What have I done!

The whole thing is being shot in my garage. A lifelong friend Paul Gentry, who is a distinguished VFX DP and has been for years, offered to help and get in on the fun. With him came his years of experience, and even better yet, his lights, camera, dolly, and a whole bunch of green screen enough to line my entire garage!

To add to the fun I asked Doug Drexler to do a cameo in Star Fleet uniform as the Captain of the, yep you guessed it, USS Drexler.

Matt Boardman from DougA’s Blood and Chrome team offered to pitch in who is a fine Lightwave artist.

Craig Frey of the 2012 SOL calendar cover gave us is BOP design to use and will be further involved in the madness.

Chris the Evil Genius is allowing me to use his great E used in the SOL calendar and build some models.

Suddenly this started to grow and grow.

After breaking down the script it became apparent I had a lot of shots to do, some will use the real model but many will have to be CGI. I needed enough shots done that it was clear I needed a team to do the animations, passes, comps and the finished shots.

So what I am humbly asking for is...HELP! There will be no pay. You will receive one hell of a good screen credit. A big hug and even a slap on the back! A chance to be part of something that I hope will be Star Trek history. You get to work on the same project with people that actually worked with Gene Roddenberry (Doug and I did anyway). Have your work seen by some of the biggest names in star Trek VFX history.

Remember this is just for fun. I never planned for it to be anything more than that. But good things seem to come out of labors of love. Maybe we all might get paid for something as a result.

So if you want to do some shots or anything else, contact me. We are working on PCs, Lightwave but we can certainly cross over convert, adapt, modify, and overcome. I am trying to make this as high end as possible. Keep in mind youA’ll need some horse power and experience with good animation, lighting and compositing your shots.

BTW you can learn more about this and see pretty pictures and videos at the following locations:

www.steveneill.wordpress.com youA’ll need to go back a few pages to see the chair and big E.

www.drexfiles.wordpress.com Doug has a spread on me and one of the latest and best videos of the 1701.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78420-My-Enterprise-Project-Ya-everyone-has-one...

And about me:
My web site www.sneillfx.com

Send me a pm or email if you want to get committed to insanity and fun. Really.

[email protected]

Thanks for taking the time to read all this junk.

Steve Neill
Post edited by SteveNeill on

• Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    I'm tempted, but not sure.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • SteveNeillSteveNeill0 Posts: 0Member
    Chris I wouldn't be either. But just the same thanks for thinking on it.

Steve
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Hi Steve,

wow - that idea has evolved quite a bit. If anyone wants to test the waters with CGI, this sounds like a great opportunity. Since IA’m not a lightwaver, I wonA’t be of much help. Besides, IA’ve got a lot to do with P2 already.

IA’m looking forward to seeing more from this - and my best regards to all of the crew!
    Thanks so much! I appreciate that very much. Glad you are busy every one should be ;)

Steve
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    I'm a whizz at Lcars and Star trek related graphics, (Learning TOS readout now as it happens) Whatever I can do to help, let me know.
    Funny I'm finally getting email notifications after setting all my subs for instant some time ago.

Bmused55 thanks so much.

Steve
  • jeffabbyjeffabby171 Posts: 32Member
    I am interested and emailed you what I have done and will help where I can