Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    where does it mention that this project is shut down?
  • AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    Yes, the producers of the LIS Web Series were given a cease and desist order yesterday from Kevin Burns, the owner of the intellectual property rights to Lost in Space.

It's a shame that a large studio like Paramount can embrace non-profit fan-based productions (e.g. Star Trek), but a franchise like Lost In Space that has had very limited success in revivals cannot. It's rather unfathomable that someone who holds an aging property that has very little chance of making much more money would not consent to a high-quality series that is merely based upon the premise, and does not seek to re-write the original show or infringe upon the established canon.

But that's Hollywood for ya.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    The web series has been shut down, Colbmista, by the people who own the rights to Lost in Space. Which is really sad news, and I'm sure a big kick in the guts to the people who were working very hard on producing a quality show.
    As the Web site has already been yanked for the show. I'd like to express a thank-you for that hard work to all concerned. This thread has been a good example of Ron's work of J3, and it's excellent standard.

Having said that. I'd actually hope that Ron continues the thread, because I'd still like to see his ship fly. Even if it's only a few pics and youtube clips.
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    OCCUPY ALPHA CENTAURI !!:argh:
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    if i were the guy i would be pleased that fans are trying to bring back such an old series but then again people are dicks
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    WOW! Sorry to hear the bad news Ron. I've enjoyed following you progress on the 3D models.

Does this mean that people can't make little fan films about LIS? Or are one-offs okay but not an entire series? I mean, take a look at YouTube. There are lots of fan films there, although perhaps not as high quality as what you were planning.

Al
    Thanks for the support gang! We're not absolutely sure the project is derailed quite yet. So, I might as well keep posting the progress pics. :)

A lot has been decided since my last updates.

The final crew complement was likely going to be 8. And no married partners, though several of the crew members were related. So the ship needed some interior tweaking to accommodate 8 single cabins. Final design was 5 cabins below and 3 above. The shots below do not show any extraneous ship systems for the sake of clarity.

Doors here are in the same design vocabulary as the original ship's standard doors, although in the case of the cabins these are hinged instead of sliding and they have a frosted glass translucent panel. The reason was purely on cinematic grounds. Lower deck cabin arrangement was this:

progresscabindecklower0.jpg

The upper deck arrangement included two (possibly all three) cabins with portholes. Cabin H, in the case of a crew of only 7, would be either the Safety Cabin or a Conference/Mission Planning room:

progresscabindeckupper0.jpg

Here's an interior shot of Cabin F:

progresscabine06.jpg
    And, BTW, here were some progress shots of "The Keeper" ship, with the Jupiter 3 to scale:

progresskeepership001.jpg

progresskeepership003.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Glad to see things are still moving forward.
    In the long run I'm sure it will free up the design options a little to allow you make bigger changes.
  • odysseus93odysseus930 Posts: 0Member
    What horrible news. I was watching the website keenly to see how things would move forward, but it seems we will still have no resolution to the Robinson's plight (sigh).

Your work is excellent and brought back all the fond memories of my childhood around the series. Let us know if you ever offer your beautifully revised Jupiter II for download. I'm dying to see how it would render in Blender.

Be well, and Please don't stop!
  • BCBC0 Posts: 0Member
    If worse comes to worse and the project does get permanently derailed at lest the work put into it would be good experience in designing practical realistic saucer ships. It could be put to use on a non Lost In Space project that uses field drive ships, which is a refreshing concept considering Hollywood has completely abandoned the idea in favor of the Star Wars 'airplanes in space' style (sadly even the LIS movie was victim to that with them going so far as to ridicule the original design via a contemptuous joke with their 'Jupiter 1 booster' nonsense).

The main argument they seem to have for SW style spacecraft is that "people would not understand how the ships should move" despite the fact that in the original LIS the ship mainly moved like a helicopter when it was in atmospheric flight, tipping downward slightly in the direction of travel and anyone familiar with the sight of helicopters flying would "understand" it just fine. The real reason is probably because field drive ships with their lack of exhaust and especially afterburners (and of course no 'jet noise') are harder to make look dramatic though with sufficient skill in choreography (and helicopter vs. helicopter fights could be used as a basis the same way WWII fighter footage was used in Star Wars) and camera work it can be just as exciting as the firetail stuff.
    BC wrote: »
    If worse comes to worse and the project does get permanently derailed at lest the work put into it would be good experience in designing practical realistic saucer ships. It could be put to use on a non Lost In Space project that uses field drive ships, which is a refreshing concept considering Hollywood has completely abandoned the idea in favor of the Star Wars 'airplanes in space' style (sadly even the LIS movie was victim to that with them going so far as to ridicule the original design via a contemptuous joke with their 'Jupiter 1 booster' nonsense).

That's exactly what is happening with the web series. It is being re-tooled. A brand new - yet familiar - ship is taking shape.
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    Glad to see that you ahve not given up
    Except for the web series as long as nothing is done for profit I doubt there is much they can do about it. More than likily your web series came up a a production meeting where the IP owner is trying to get a new series going
    True, it is possible that the IP owner is trying to get a new series going though I kind of doubt it will happen any time soon if at all considering their track record so far. The last official attempt seems to be the ridiculous pilot called "The Robinsons: Lost in Space" that (thankfully) never was picked up by any of the networks and which had very little to do with the original beyond the names. It seems more likely that the owner is simply sitting on the IP like is happening to so many other old classic series.
    BC wrote: »
    True, it is possible that the IP owner is trying to get a new series going though I kind of doubt it will happen any time soon if at all considering their track record so far. The last official attempt seems to be the ridiculous pilot called "The Robinsons: Lost in Space" that (thankfully) never was picked up by any of the networks and which had very little to do with the original beyond the names. It seems more likely that the owner is simply sitting on the IP like is happening to so many other old classic series.

You may be right.

Another effort has been underway. The Odyssey is an entirely new ship and will be the centerpiece of the new series.

I will be posting a new thread chronicling the development of the Odyssey.
    Cool :) I will be looking forward to seeing it,
    Hey everyone,

I'm just throwing this out there for those old Lost In Space fans. Someone asked me if they could use my original Space Pod model in an animation, so I dug out the old 3ds MAX file. I rendered out some images and thought I'd post them on this old thread. It's as accurate as I could get from the sources I could draw upon at the time. The Pod model is detailed enough for medium-long shots but I'd have to go back and chamfer the hell out of the hull for detail shots. Anyhow, here's the little guy.

Irwin Allen commissioned the model back in 1966 (?) and they made miniatures and a full-scale mock-up. The design was based on NASA engineering at the time. It's a wonderful piece of television history.

Pod Ortho001.jpg

Pod Ortho002.jpg

Pod Ortho003.jpg

Pod Detail004.jpg

Pod Ortho005.jpg

Pod Detail008.jpg
    97237.jpg97238.jpg97239.jpg97240.jpg97241.jpg97242.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Wow... very nice!
    Thanks! I'm casually going through the ship interiors and upgrading all of the control panels. Many people perhaps don't realize that this TV show utilized authentic military computer systems as props. Most of the computer panels on the show came from the Air Force's SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment) system. I've been going through the model to upgrade and accurize the SAGE systems used in the show. Here's a sample panel from the Jupiter 2's galley (re-labelled for food production):

Progress Galley Panel001.jpg
    97275.jpg
    I'm also gradually converting all of the interior set pieces for rendering using Vray. Here's an early test shot of the Galley (with lots of noise!), before I detailed the wall-mounted computer panels shown in the previous post. There's a lot of work ahead!

BTW, the computer panels used in the Jupiter 2 (and several other Irwin Allen productions) are still alive and well at a Hollywood prop shop.

Progress Galley003.jpg
    97283.jpg
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Seeing these images again reminded me that I still have to complete my own J2!

I believe you have reached the status of a master modeler Avian. Amazing work.
    I'm not sure about that! But thanks anyway! I think every modeler must run the gauntlet of doing a TOS Enterprise before he can be considered a "master." :) I'll probably get to it some day but I like mining the lesser-known (but no less brilliant) designs of the Irwin Allen shows. I remember your gorgeous Electrodata B205 consoles. And it's because of the beautiful work you did on those that inspired me to go back and carefully model the control panels on the J2 rather than rely upon texture maps.
    It's been a while since I posted an update..

I'm still chugging away at refining the interior. Here's some updates and WIP's. Still a lot of small detail work to do!

Main Deck - Computer Core, Gyro, Vector Flight Recorder, Atomic Clock and Astrogator.

Gyro_Large_01.jpg

Lower Deck - Laboratory

Lab_Large_03.jpg

Auxiliary Control

Progress Observatory005.jpg
    98483.jpg98484.jpg98485.jpg
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    The lighting on this is very good, but in a few of them, the color of the lit panels doesn't transfer to the surrounding surfaces. In general this is very good, though, and I especially love the level of detail. :)
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks perfect!
    It brings back cool memories of my childhood... Good times!
  • st0nest0ne0 Posts: 0Member
    can you make this into a poser model and do you hav any of your ships for download?
    st0ne wrote: »
    can you make this into a poser model and do you hav any of your ships for download?

I don't have Poser but can export any mesh as .obj. .dxf. .3ds, etc which Poser can then import. I was going to prep the Jupiter 2 exterior, selected interiors and the Jupiter 3 (which is the larger version that will hold all of the TV show's interiors plus extras) and upload it here but haven't gotten around to it yet. If there is interest I'll make that more of a priority in the coming weeks.

Oh, and here's the finished flight deck!

FlightDeck_Large_01a.jpg
    99869.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    THAT is darned cool, Avian.

Modern, but with that 1960s feel. Well done!
  • st0nest0ne0 Posts: 0Member
    yea that would be cool avian will be like that lost in space playset i always wanted for christmas lol
  • towerpower3000towerpower30000 Posts: 0Member
    I would also like to see anything else associated with this project. Pics, downloadable mesh, etc.
    Thanks - enjoying the thread.