Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalLarge Blood Angels Terminator

MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2014 in Work in Progress #1
And so it begins...

IMG_2383.JPG

The painting of Cassar's (commissioned from a CMON frequenter) awesome sculpt.
Today I've added the brass etchings and some resin detail. If all goes well, I can undercoat the pieces tomorrow.
I'm not too sure about the resin skull on the back though, I might get rid of that...
In general I think it doesn't need that much more in terms of little glued-on tidbits. I think I'm going to add more detailing with self-made decals and freehand.

IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG
93453.JPG
Post edited by Meph on

• DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Was it scaled with the size of the brass bits in mind?
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I gave the measurements of the little circles on his belt. that was about the only size specification, the rest just fits kinda by chance. ^^

Some progress. I mounted and undercoated most parts. The legs are still giving me a headache though. I added a large etched brass aquila, which I pre-bent, but I'm now at attempt numer three and the top-right corner still is popping off. If this last gluing attempt doesn't do it I'll be forced to snap it off completely and rework the bending...
    Oh, and I added a pic with the FW marine head, it kinda shows the scale difference.

IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2428.JPG
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    That's how marines look over fences in gardens...
    Trying to superglue the Aquilla on? Got any kicker?
    Dannage wrote: »
    That's how marines look over fences in gardens...

ROFL! Go go gadget! :D

DCB: Yup, superglue... What do you mean by kicker? No midgets to physically abuse my model I hope...
    Kicker is a catalyst/accelerator that causes superglue to bond instantly. You should be able to get it from hobby stores or other places that sell superglue.

Here's one I'm using at the moment - https://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8456 - although the pump is a little inconsistent. Can't complain too much for a few bucks though.

You might also want to get some debonder (if you don't already have any) if you are needing to remove previously glued bits.
    Oh cool! I'll definitely look for something like that, seems like just the thing I need.

lol @ strawberry scented though. ^^
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah I think the BEATLES were sniffing that stuff when they were singing "Strawberry Fields forever" ....

Off to a good start on the big guy Meph, ... Don't know if it crossed your mind to light this one ? ... he's a good size, and has a perfect part with his back armour to house a power source independent with no wires ...

To hollow out the body Armour at the back use that top section plate, and the rear vents as entry points, ... obviously those resin sections would be drilled out, so you just replace those parts with styrene sheet that you can get from all good models stores (Evergreen styrene) ...

Back in the day when I was doing physical models, I used to light some Star Wars vehicles with L.E.Ds & Fibre Optics, .... The first time I attempted it I had an electrician friend guide me when I was doing the light rig ... but its simple when you've done a couple ...

A lot more work though, especially since this one has solid parts you'd have to hollow out and Physical models are unforgiving if you screw them up, ... also probably not a good Idea to try it with this one, if you're not used to lighting models etc .... just a thought though ...

I know he's going to look awesome regardless if he turns out like your earlier Blood Angel :thumb: ...

Jas
    Huh strawberry - never even noticed. I think my sinuses have all been burnt out by the various toxic fumes I've been exposed to.
    Cheers guys!

Good idea about the lighting, although indeed I'm not going to risk this beautiful sculpt... the possible disaster...It's too scary a thought!
    Although I'm pretty sure that Cassar (the guy at CMOn who sculpted it) would be more than willing to implement the required internal space on possible future projects... :devil:

On another forum where I posted this, someone suggested to pin the nasty Aquila corner with a, well, pin and cover the pin with a sculpted purity seal; Which might be a nice alternative to the superglue activator...

Whaddayathink?
    Update:
    I've been sidetracked to magnetize some small terminators and doing some work on the other vehicles.
    Also, that top-right corner of the Aquila keeps popping of his leg and is driving me crazy!!!!! I think I'll pin that brass into place and hide the pin with a purity seal. Or maybe dab around with superglue activator but then I'd still need to find/buy some first...

IMG_2505.JPG
    Superglue activator is like..woah!

I should have heeded that advice a long time ago... Now let's see what it does over the following days. :D
    The plasticard-copy would've been a good alternative though. Finally this thing can move forward if the sucker stays on now. Hurrah!

IMG_2517.JPG

And also, the demon in progress... The horns still need drybrushing and I'm thinking of giving the runes a light blue colours, as if glowing, and also give them a healthy coat of glow-in-the-dark paint.

IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG

But the LEDS have run into a problem. When first having bought those UV LEDS, the guy at the shop told me they were 1V, so I prepared for a setup of 9 LEDS on a 9V battery on 3 x 3 LEDS wired in series to spread the voltage. But a test setup resulted in no light whatsoever.
    A mate of mine, with his infinite LED wisdom, informed me that they are probably between 3.2 and 3.8V but that much voltage that means I can probably only setup 3 LEDS max on a 9v battery. That would give me nowhere near enough light I fear and the base of the thing won't allow for more batteries...

IMG_2527.JPG
    Ahah, you have finally seen the light. Where'd you grab the kicker from? Btw, that's a beastman not a daemon.

For the LEDs, you could use a low voltage plug pack/wall wart. You could get up to 24V through one of those, although you'd need to make sure the amperage was low enough. If you wanted to stick with batteries, you could nix that holder and wire up 2 or 3 x 9V cells in series. To do that you might need to build the base up a bit higher to give you some more room in that hollow in the underside.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    If you didn't manage to get that Aquila stuck down I'd have just suggested "battle damage". Looks huge and awesome, by the way.
    Cheers guys!
    Long time no update, but I've just been lagging behind on taking pics. I haven't solved the LED issue yet, the lack of space inside the thing is a bit worrying. Also, time-wise, I might have to ditch the LEDs altogether and just go for a clean base. In any case the UV paint does shine quite brightly in even low light conditions.

So here's the bust, more or less finished I feel. There's glow-in-the-dark paint on his bulging veins, his eyes, the silver and copper disc, and the glowing runes on his horns. purely from an aesthetic point of view, it might look better with dark inlays for the runes, but the light paint job does work its wonders in the dark.

IMG_2539.JPG
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Nice Work.
    Cheer mate! :D
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I would say lovely, but as an imperial player... okay, not player, collector... I have to say CLEANSE THIS FILTH!

:p
    Alright bitcheez, it's onnnn! No mo' messin' about.
    I applied a metallic coat and some rust patches. I just sealed it with some satin varnish and when that's dry, the salt is going on. If that manages to dry out this afternoon, I'll undercoat both the Stormraven and the Termy today, huah!

IMG_4419.JPG
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    This is going to be so epic.
    And behold! Ze red!

IMG_4429.JPG
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good so far, dude. :)

That stuff you put on for your chipped paint effect always reminds me of cat litter. ;)
    Ah, you mean regular rock salt for use with your nomnoms? :D
    I only use rock salt for ice in the winter and it's probably lager than the salt you're using. ;)
    Looks like he has been infected by the Yuuzhan Vong with all those polyps all over him. I wonder if Tyranids have some equivalent of that.
    Hehehe, soon he'll be rid of his rash. Once he's dry, he's going under the water. ^^

Some shading and subtle highlighting done. I'm not too sure i'll give it another highlighting at this point as once the salt is gone, the red will need some touch-ups in any case.
    I also gave it a dark red wash.
    IMG_4451.JPG
    He finally gets dry and you go and submerge him in water. That's not very nice. :p

Seriously, that's looking great. I always love pictures of you painting stuff, you do such top-notch work. :thumb:
    Submerge? Nonono, More like waterboarding, he's going under cold, running water, and some decent rubbing with ye olde fingers. :D
    Submerging, waterboarding, it all sound not nice. ;)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very cool mate.
    waterboarding so your torturing him then.