Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbattlestar (parts of)

13»

• morranspacemorranspace0 Posts: 0Member
    outstanding

can someone come over here and close my mouth

this is outstanding

:argh:
    Cya
  • Martok2112Martok21120 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! That is some sweet lookin' stuff there! :)
  • morranspacemorranspace0 Posts: 0Member
    :argh: WHat what, It is to good to be true
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    here are the basic colors. essentialy the same as the battlebay. last step is to crowd a bit the upper mushroom.
    i had to take out most of the details of the bays. my computer couldnt stant it. (3x 1.7M poly is far too much).
    i'll need an optimized version of the bays.

[IMG]http://www.nicepixel.eu/vipers/wip/station full01.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.nicepixel.eu/vipers/wip/station full02.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.nicepixel.eu/vipers/wip/station full03.jpg[/IMG]
    low detailed battlebay. down to 407K poly.
    one third of the hi detail was in the turrets. 12*50K poly...
    no more greeblies and nurnies. but at this distance, sho cares ?

battlebay32.jpg
    battlebay33.jpg
    battlebay34.jpg

and docked to the station
    [IMG]http://www.nicepixel.eu/vipers/wip/station full04.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.nicepixel.eu/vipers/wip/station full05.jpg[/IMG]
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    That looks freakishly awesome! If i didn't know better, I'd claim some of those renders were from Razor
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    excelent work
    :) thanks guys

a spoiler of what's to come :D
    (those 2 shots are in hd)

basestar01.jpg
    basestar02.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    L2K wrote: »
    a spoiler of what's to come :D

The shape of things to come, surely.

Awesome work all round, though!
    Look good. Well, that's a lie, it looks incredible. I love the little red accent lights on the Basestar. Reminds me of a Raider's (or centurion's for that matter) pulsating eye. If only basestars looked this mean on the show...
  • Boy GeniusBoy Genius0 Posts: 0Member
    wow look great, looking forward to see more :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Don't know why I haven't seen this thread before, really nice work!
    very nice detail work :)

The trails look a bit large, though I assume once smoke maps etc are in place they will look a little different
  • Boy GeniusBoy Genius0 Posts: 0Member
    I agree the missles look a bit of scale.
    thanks guys :)

of course the missiles need some more work. smaler and more definition in the smoke trail.
    i'm treating them as particles in PF. right now, they come off the basestar rim (a hidden object that rims only the spikes), go perpendicular for half a second, then aim for the target and explode on impact with a few debris.

(and i changed the thumbnail)
    compression a bit crapy
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    How are you doing the explosions, it seems like there's a lot of clipping errors going on, or is it an object they're impacting against and that's hiding a few things? Other than that, it's looking good.
    it wasnt cliping errors, it was a black object used as a collision dummy.
    the whole weapon system is a particle system. it includes the impact explosions, debris and sparks. fire itself is made with afterburn, a max plugin, onto the particles.

better looking test.
    i still have to optimise afterburn (explosion pass) it takes far too long. 20min/frame at 640*360.
    and without motion blur.
    camera is crappy, i know, but i was impatient to see my particles in action, so i didnt took time to animate it correctly.
    Look good, a true example of missile spam of the first degree!

But when the missiles hit the target, it looks a little to sparkler-y. Like they were fireworks, not warheads.
    less sparks, and better fire.
    i think the debris are still too big
    Its still a little to sparkly in my opinion. Try slowing down the sparks by 4-500% and make then last longer. That way it'll look like flaming debris. In general, slow down the speed of the debris chunks and explosion in general, it looks kinda toy like at the moment. You could also add some secondary explosions (magazine cooking off, fuel igniting, etc) a few seconds after the main one.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Nice to see someone else doing so animation, I'd have to agree with Borkless with the explosions, then look like squip sparks rather than huge explosions...(at the minute)

Are they some sort of particle dynamic? or are they comped in? If you can, use compositing software then do as much of the effects in that.. I always say to ......students mostly... its not big or clever to get everything in the render window of what ever 3d program your using...

But its looking good..
    :p
    (you say that to students ??? well, i have to say that to my very own boss. its sad.)

explosions are alone on another file. then comped in.
    it's all a single particle system. its procedural and reusable. once i've got it right, that will be missile frenezy on anything.

i'll change that and render it at night.
    here it is.
    opinions ?
    i think the core explosion is not bright enough. anyone else got that feeling ?
    Looks better. Much better.

But, the explosions look a little too yellow (might just be my moniter) try making them a little more orange.

More importantly, the ship you're targeting needs to show some effects. Have some chunks be blow off or something. Would make it look cooler.